• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 throwout bearing

bobbed_1971

Hey guys new to this world of dueces.How do you grease the throwout bearing where is the grease fitting do I have to pull the inspection cover to get to it.The reason for this is because when you push the clutch all the way in it makes a squealing noise just started doing this I had it in some deep water.And didnt put the plug in oops so I wonder if I need to grease it now or is the throwout bearing toast.It shifts fine no sliping of the clutch hope it just needs greasing.All the help is greatly appreciated thanks.

wes

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, not really. There is grease zerks for the moving parts on the shift rod and input shaft, but not one for the bearing itself. You will have to pull the trans, press the bearing off and use a bearing grease press.

JH1

Here's what I've learned so far: There are 3 point that need to be greased having to do with the clutch. One on each end of the clutch control rod (traverses sideways across bell housing and operates the throw out bearing) and one on the back of the throw out bearing (to allow it to slide fore and aft along the input shaft to the tranny), but not the actual bearing itself. It appears that a common misconception is that "lubing the throw out bearing" means pushing grease into the throwout bearing holder, which slides fore and aft. That grease doesn't actually flow to the throwout bearing itself. I've also heard that people hand pack the throwout bearing, but if that's the case, then that grease would spin out quickly and leave it dry, again. I talked to a wrench at Memphis Equipment today and he said that the throwout bearings are pre-lubed, sealed units that don't ever need lube. That makes sense, but I have two bearings here that have no permanent seals. Could it be that they degraded over the decades and just aren't there anymore? Maybe the newer throwout bearings are now sealed instead of open, as may have been in the past? Anyone have the number on a sealed throwout bearing that can be had at a local auto parts store?
Jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All the ones I have seen, are not sealed. They have a seam I can slide a little grease into, not much, just a bit. The seam is not located where the TO bearing will launch the grease out. I have not seen EVERYTHING, but I've never seen a sealed TO bearing.

rustystud

On all the big riggs I have worked on, the throw-out bearing is greased from a zerk fitting. They are not sealed units. You can verify this yourself by lubing the throw-out bearing and watching the extra grease escaping. Part of the grease goes to the shaft (input shaft holder) and the rest goes to the bearing.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not the case on the M44-series trucks. The grease zerk is there but it will only put grease between transmission bearing cap and TO-bearing carrier. There in no way that any (excess)grease will get into the bearing itself.
You can easily verify this yourself once you worked on these...

G.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said we can not grease the TO bearing. What should be done once and while is remove the inspection plate with the motor running and MAKE SHURE the TO is NOTspinning with the clutch peddel releasted

rustystud

That is not the case on the M44-series trucks. The grease zerk is there but it will only put grease between transmission bearing cap and TO-bearing carrier. There in no way that any (excess)grease will get into the bearing itself.
You can easily verify this yourself once you worked on these...

G.
Gringeltaube, your right about that throw-out bearing, I just assumed since this is a medium truck it would have the lube holes like all the other riggs I have worked on. I fixed the problem though. I drilled two 3/16" holes in the bearing carrier. I then checked to make sure this would work, and it did . I'm trying to find a seal so all the grease will go into the bearing, right now some grease spills out. The 1993 Jeep used a removable seal on there throw-out bearing, I just have to find one with the correct dimensions.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg006.jpg019.jpgI'm also adding a flex hose from a grease gun to the to carrier to allow for outside the tranny greasing. I will be using a 1/8" bulkhead connector drilled through the tranny housing.

DavidWymore

Did you ever find a seal, rusty?

This kind of thing needs to be put in a list in a sticky for deuce improvement mods.

Last edited:

peashooter

Gringeltaube, your right about that throw-out bearing, I just assumed since this is a medium truck it would have the lube holes like all the other riggs I have worked on. I fixed the problem though. I drilled two 3/16" holes in the bearing carrier. I then checked to make sure this would work, and it did . I'm trying to find a seal so all the grease will go into the bearing, right now some grease spills out. The 1993 Jeep used a removable seal on there throw-out bearing, I just have to find one with the correct dimensions.View attachment 467591View attachment 467592View attachment 467593View attachment 467594View attachment 467595View attachment 467596I'm also adding a flex hose from a grease gun to the to carrier to allow for outside the tranny greasing. I will be using a 1/8" bulkhead connector drilled through the tranny housing.
Cool I just saw this set up now for the first time. Have you gotten many miles on the truck to try this mod out? Is there any downside or potential for a grease mess in the bell housing?

Jeepsinker

Guys, honestly, no offense, but most of you won't ever put as many miles on your truck in the time you own it as I've put on mine in the past couple years, and I haven't had any throw out bearing issues yet. Going on 60k miles now, put around 50k on my old one before the new motor and trans went in, and it is still good. I'd still use it. These aren't weak bearings. I know some of us just like to fiddle with stuff for fun though.
These motors are good for about 50-60k miles between rebuild, so just plan on installing a new bearing when you swap the engine if it really worries you.

rustystud

Cool I just saw this set up now for the first time. Have you gotten many miles on the truck to try this mod out? Is there any downside or potential for a grease mess in the bell housing?
Almost all modern trucks have grease fittings on their throw-out bearings. The main thing is to not over grease the bearing. One shot works just fine. I'm planning on putting a hose to the bearing and then drill-out and tap the clutch housing (NPT threads) and have the grease fitting outside the housing. I will do this when I rebuild my transmission later this summer. Hopefully someone will have a seal for the front of the transmission before then. (Jeepsinker ? )

rustystud

Guys, honestly, no offense, but most of you won't ever put as many miles on your truck in the time you own it as I've put on mine in the past couple years, and I haven't had any throw out bearing issues yet. Going on 60k miles now, put around 50k on my old one before the new motor and trans went in, and it is still good. I'd still use it. These aren't weak bearings. I know some of us just like to fiddle with stuff for fun though.
These motors are good for about 50-60k miles between rebuild, so just plan on installing a new bearing when you swap the engine if it really worries you.
Actually your statement is a good reason to have a grease fitting on the bearing. As most trucks set the grease is getting old and needs to be replaced. Remember grease on it's own will drop out of suspension and separate. Just open an old can of grease.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks