• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemtt rims VS. stock deuce rims for 395s

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have been using stock deuce rims with 395s(XML) mounted on them. I am NOT a fan of tubes, in fact it cost me almost $400 for 7 tubes. I also do not like the fact that when making sharp right turns, the driver side front tire rubs on the steering drag link. It is annoying and tears up the tire. I have had a set of 395s(XZL) waiting to go on the truck. I just got a set of re-centered Hemtt rims and mounted up the XZLs. The Hemtt rims give a nice, wider stance and the tires don't looked ballooned out like on the stock rims. Here are a few pics. I have not been out for a test drive yet, so I will have to report back on that one.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Oh, a couple other things. I do not have the bead locks in the tires. It was NOT fun learning how to put these together right to get them to air up! The best way I found was to take a stock rim(just the can, no lock ring or tire on it) and put a cinder block on top of it. Then lat your "bottom" hemtt rim half on there(make sure you put the valve stem in first!). Lube the heck out of the whole bottom half of the rim with Murphy's tire lube, it is blue in color. Then drop your tire on the can and press it down till the tire has met the lip of the rim. Now install the O-ring. Once that is on, lube it with the blue tire goo. Next, lube the heck out of the top half of the Hemtt rim. Set that in place and use some C clamps to hold it together. Stand the tire up, remove the clamps and install the plate with the studs that hold everything together. Tighten the snot out of those bolts and add air. *Usually* the tire will expand and seat ok, sometimes you will have to find a chunk of wood and hammer the rim into the tire so it won't leak air.

Last thing, I didn't want my front tires to stick out way past the fender. I installed the plates on the front rims on the outside of the assembly to try and keep them "in" the fender. It didn't do what I wanted, but I am happy the tires won't rub on turns, oh-well.

area52

One tip on airing a tire up - use a rubber mallet to pound on the tire while airing up to "move" it out to the bead, and use a large air hose 3/4" or bigger to move a bunch of air.

gimpyrobb

Believe it or not, I was able to use a regular air chuck on the valve stem when I mounted the tires as described. I don't really like the Hemtt valve stems either. piss poor design if you ask me.

gimpyrobb

I was actually not feeling well yesterday, I only got 4 done and went to bed. I finished the other 2 today and put them on the truck just after dark.

DFD2010-A

still I bet those four were a days work. Oh, a little off topic..I played with those air ride seats for a good hour yesterday, much like a fat kid in a chocolate store. Those things are killer, can't wait to get them hooked up in the truck.[thumbzup] Tomorrow when you get a chance shoot my a call, had an update to give you.

jollyroger

I usually pull the valve stem core when I'm airing up to seat the bead. That way they take to the bead quicker and if I see something I don't like all I gotta do is pull the chuck off and it is airing back down.

gimpyrobb

I thought about that JR, but the Hemtt valve stem and it's positioning does not lend itself to easy access!

Hammer

I bend the valve stems a little. Enough so I can air them up from either side of the tire.
It also helps with getting to the valve cores.
I thought the o-rings were supposed to be mounted dry? Not lubed like the hmmwv rims need to be.
I put my o-rings in dry, and thumped the sidewall. Aired up fine (took for bloody ever though. But they were 16s )

jollyroger

I thought about that JR, but the Hemtt valve stem and it's positioning does not lend itself to easy access!
I figured you had been down that road and that there may be something about the HEMTT wheels I did not know about but thought I would mention it anyways.

Now I know what I gotta deal with when I get my wheels. Thanks guys.[thumbzup]

Preacherboy

I also had to bend a couple of my hemtt vavle stems to make them work. It certainly is a hard days work to mount up those tires to the rims though, I didn't use any lube put did a lot of banging on the side wall of the tire with a hammer and used up a lot of soapy water.

I let them all sit next to the garage aired up for a month and out of 6 only one ended up loosing air, I ended up taking it apart to get that bead to seat properly.

By the way Gimp, I love the XZL's and I have to ask where did you get them and where they a decent price?