• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Trailer Connector Wiring Diagram

jacksmad1

I was researching trailer connector wiring for my M1009 to wire up a connector for a civilian trailer and found lots of information but it was generally in a format that was in my opinion either hard to follow or contained a lot of unnecessary information. I put together this document that I hope summarizes and illustrates the pinout and wiring connections necessary if you want to use the existing connector.

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

Wmwaller

Thanks for posting that diagram. I just purchased my M1009. Is there a connection for electric brakes in the original 12 pin set up? I would like to tow a small camper that has electric brakes. Also, will I need to reduce voltage to 12V for a Civi trailer?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCVs have 12v at the plug. No conversion needed.

You will have to run your own electric for the brakes.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks for posting that diagram. I just purchased my M1009. Is there a connection for electric brakes in the original 12 pin set up? I would like to tow a small camper that has electric brakes. Also, will I need to reduce voltage to 12V for a Civi trailer?

1. Starting system: 24v
  2. Glow plug system: Part 24v, mostly 12v
  3. Everything else: 12v

If you are towing a civi trailer, consider replacing the NATO connector with a standard 7 pin RV connector. Unless you plan to tow military trailers, or want it for the nostalgia/cool factor, it's useless.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my converter box that I made to tow my M1101 with my WK Grand Cherokee (Hemi) and still be able to move the trailer with the M1009. I should have used a larger box because my plan was to put a cigar lighter plug in it to run a light or whatever. The coil cord was from e-Trailer, the mil connector from a generous forum member, and Home Depot provided the rest. The trailer lights run fine on 12v; I was expecting them to be very dim but they looked good even in the daylight. The converter box is zip-tied to the trailer making it removable in case a friend needs to pick up a trailer from the auction.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks