• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slobber tube

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My truck is missing the slobber tube. And honestly I don't like how they look hanging down. Anyhow, my deuce has been making a mess under the truck. My answer is a coffee can! It fits perfect under the turbo and on top of the frame rail. Now all the "mess" collects in the can and I can dump it. It's interesting though, I'm getting a lot of watery mess. Not coolant, but just water. The engine oil looks good and the coolant is nice and green. I just topped off the brake fluid as well.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunno about this - the truck needs a regular slobbering of oil and grease on the underside for rust prevention, as prescribed in the operator's manual. You really need to put the hose back on. That oily mess they normally provide isn't a problem, it's a feature.

:grd:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I am no expert on this.........
Isn't it called a road draft tube?
and isn't it part of the design to help draw out excess crankcase pressures?
I.E. air passing by at a 90 degree angle to the opening creates a negative pressure (draft).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While I am no expert on this.........
Isn't it called a road draft tube?
and isn't it part of the design to help draw out excess crankcase pressures?
I.E. air passing by at a 90 degree angle to the opening creates a negative pressure (draft).
Yes, the name is road draft tube. I just like the "slobber tube" nick name. As to your other question, you're talking about the venturi effect. However it's effect in a hose hanging down would be minimal. You'd need the incoming air to be compressed by the venturi effect to create a lower pressure area in the tube. Here's a cutaway of a carburetor that has the concept in use.

File:Carburetor.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the name is road draft tube. I just like the "slobber tube" nick name. As to your other question, you're talking about the venturi effect. However it's effect in a hose hanging down would be minimal. You'd need the incoming air to be compressed by the venturi effect to create a lower pressure area in the tube. Here's a cutaway of a carburetor that has the concept in use.

File:Carburetor.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe the design intent was for minimal draft to aid in reducing crankcase pressure, and not to suck the oil out.
Like the venturi is designed to pull the liquid into the air flow and vaporize it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The concept is interchangeable with gases and liquids. I've got a vehicle AC vacuum that uses the venturi principle to pull vacuum down on the system. There's a venturi like pictured in that diagram that compressed air flows through. There's also a small jet tube that is a tube placed into the venturi area. The tube is actually cut more at a 45* angle with the long side of the cut being placed towards the incoming airflow.

rz14rt

The road draft tube at 55mph cannot make any practical amount of suction. It's just a way to lead the blowby away from he engine. The important thing is that it is kept clear, so it can pass gas. The diameter is large enough to handle any cyl blowby or crankcase steam generated in a healty engine. If it leaves a mess, it works fine.

onegmjack

Worn piston rings could pressrise the crank case and cause the draft tube to blow out to much oil,some is normal,but if it drips off your tail light it mite be a problem.Would have some loss off power if it is a problem.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's not oil, it's water that is coming out of mine. Just plain water, it must have a lot of condensation trapped in everything. I do get a few drops of oil suspended in the water, but not a lot.

rz14rt

Potable Water

What temp is your engine oil when this happens? One common situation is that the water (and there is lots) in the combustion blowby condenses in the relatively cool oil during short runs and idling. It stays in the oil. When the engine is worked hard and the oil heats up enough to boil off the water that has accumulated during the short runs a lot of stam is generated very quickly. This could be condensing in your tube and can. The good news is that even though it may taste funny, it should be OK to drink. I had this happen at 8000 feet and 10 below one time. The problem was the water did not just condense, it froze and plugged the breather tube. The blowby then pressurized the crankcase, blew the nose seal, and pumped out the oil. I was then flying a glider.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First drive, 150+ miles. That's when I noticed the oily watery slobber. Since then, I've only driven around town and such, but it's brought up to temp before I drive and ran for over an hour at a time.

jmh4x4

I got tired of the oil spraying all over the place from the breather tube,(alot of short runs and idling) so the other weekend I extended the breather tube down to the axle with a piece of same size rubber hose. took it for a drive today, seem to do the trick with no sideeffects

Vendetta

Probably noob question...

I see that someone said that the slobber tube/road draft tube is necessary as it coats the underside in oil to aid in rust prevention but when I first saw the open tube leading from the turbo and the mess of oil on the underside my first thought was to make a catch can like you find on some import or modified cars to keep this from happening.

So, just to be 100% sure, this would actually be a bad idea then right? Catch can for excess oil blow by would not be a good idea and in fact would ultimately do more harm in the long run... correct?

markmontana

Any have a McMaster part for the draft tube?

It's 1 1/4" correct maybe 2'-0" long. I need to replace mine but have not got around to it.
Better to get it 3' and cut a few inches off. 2' would be a little short, IMO.

Sorry, Don't have a M/C part number, but any auto parts store has 1 1/4" radiator hose. And don't forget a clamp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks