• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

168 or 194 bulbs in the instrument cluster?

I plan on cleaning up my instrument cluster as well. I found that it requires 168 or 194 type bulbs, or both. I believe the 194 is just a brighter version of the 168? How many of each do I need? Are they interchangeable? Is every bulb in the cluster the same?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

combatmech

Warthog is correct.....if you are so inclined, go to the Slyvania website and do a search for your type/model/series truck and a list of all light bulbs will come up....I know, Shameless plug for them, but it worked out very well for my cluster rebuild. I can see everything now.
Good luck....it's super easy.

mr.travo

Is replacing the printed ciruit board on the back a good idea when changing these out? My speedo, fuel gauge, and high beam lights are all burned out, should I pony up the money and buy and new circuit board as well?

Thanks!

Travo

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added the 194 LED bulbs to my cluster and they work great, the LEDs are in amber though.

I been told that the led bulbs won't provide enough resistance to excite the alternators.

Did you use them in your alternator indicator lights also? Is your vehicle charging properly ?

edpdx

I bought a bunch of the LED light on ebay. They came from, hold on to your hats, china... surprise. They are advertised as ultr bright, so I put red ones in for a cool night effect. They are not that cool- can't get 'em bright enough. I am gonna use the info above and score some bright white bulbs and replace them all... again.

fuzzpuss

I been told that the led bulbs won't provide enough resistance to excite the alternators.

Did you use them in your alternator indicator lights also? Is your vehicle charging properly ?

It appears that they were charging fine...I didn't notice any drop or overcharge in the voltmeter... but then I had the mystery shutoff and so I have no idea if that was the cause. I doubt it though because I still had plenty of crank power just no fire! I used them in the locations to light up the speedo and fuel gauge.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you did NOt use them in the alternator indicator lights.

fuzzpuss

but when i was hearing a sizzling noise I had removed the GEN1 bulb and ran like that for days the bulb had been overheated at one point and had slightly melted the panel... so after I cleaned the cluster i thought the sizzling noise may have been coming from there...but it wasn't.