• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Alts - some pics

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the other thread jumped the shark, ran off the rails, got silly stupid, I'm starting another ONLY to show some pics and to tell you how I wired it and why. If you have a better way please PM me. Please, no Harry Potter BS.

So at the suggestion of Rat4Spd (who I love like a brother) and George (TM America - who makes the kick azz brackets) I added a 24 volt relay to turn the 12 volt stuff on and off.

This is the relay I used, purchased from eBay for 10 bucks.

http://pickerrelays.com/Data_Sheets/PC792C_Data_Sheet.pdf

The 24 volt alt wiring was simple because I used a one wire alt. I connected a ground and the hot wire. There was one wire left over that George said I could use to run the relay since it was ign switched.

The relay I got did not have the fancy mount so I zip tied it in place. I'll keep an eye on it but I think I'll be ok.

So I connected the old alt wire like George suggested to the positive side of the relay and then grounded the negative side. I used the ground spot on the 12 volt alt because it was easy.

I connected the hot wire from the 12 volt alt to the double terminal side (see pdf) and also connected a wire underneath to the other connection on the same side that currently runs to the 12 volt voltmeter, It will become the fuse box feed once the mailman brings me my fuse box.

The 12 volt battery wire was connected to the single switched terminal on the relay. Once I knew it worked as it should I sprayed the connections on the relay with liquid tape. I've never used it so I'll keep an eye on it. If it doesn't work I'll move the relay inside the cab.

The local auto parts place only had yellow wire today. Last week they only had red. Anyway, it's not a hard system to figure out. I used 10 gage wire everywhere.

A few things left to connect:

Winch. I'm figuring out a mount and I'm not doing any heavy lifting so I'm not in a hurry. It will connect directly to the single 12 volt battery. The positive side will only be connected when I want to use it. As seen in the pics the marine terminal makes that easy to connect/disconnect.

12 volt inverter. I'm still shopping. I got some massive battery cables from Hundy's last visit that I will connect it with. I will probably install it on the cab wall (inside) or on the passenger box seat. It too will only be connected when I want to use it.

Fusebox. I bought a general purpose fuse box from eBay and will feed it with the 10 gage wire that is installed on the voltmeter now. The voltmeter can run off of the fusebox. I will mount it on the firewall (inside).

12 volt power strip. I got a cheap one from walmart that has 3 cigarette type plugs and a USB plug. After a heavy dose of tan I will find a place to put it and connect it to the fuse box.

That's about it. If you have any on topic comments please contribute. If you strongly disagree with how I installed it, PM me.

If you don't like the ground on the seat, that's where the National Guard put it. I just added my 12 volt ground there.

Merry CHRISTMAS!

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice install.
Should I spray it all flat black or leave it as is?

I painted the power strip tan and installed it pulling power from the voltmeter since the mailman didn't bring my fuse box.

Went to test it and it has a neon blue light in there somewhere! Now I gotta pull it apart and kill the light.

bansil

I'm guessing your looking at a 15,000lb electric winch.Look at getting a 24volt motor on it,4wheeler mag did an article a few years ago on it when they installed one on their ultimate superduty.I remember the pro's of 24volt far out number'd the cons.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing your looking at a 15,000lb electric winch.Look at getting a 24volt motor on it,4wheeler mag did an article a few years ago on it when they installed one on their ultimate superduty.I remember the pro's of 24volt far out number'd the cons.
Not even close. I have the factory winch on front already. I'm installing a cheap azz HF 3,000 lb winch in the bed to help load ATVs a few times a year.

In this case the con of 24 volt is you can't get a 50 dollar 3,000 lb winch to pull ATVs up the ramps.

gaspain

the wires look a bit close to the turbo...

and the 10 gauge wire may be too small, depending on your load. Dont hook a winch up to the 10 gauge stuff.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the wires look a bit close to the turbo...

and the 10 gauge wire may be too small, depending on your load. Dont hook a winch up to the 10 gauge stuff.
I'll double check my routing. I followed the factory wiring and zip tied off to it.

And if you missed it in my post - I plan to hook the winch DIRECTLY to the battery. The ten gauge wire is to keep the battery topped off and to feed the soon to be installed fuse box which will have a few light loads.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a one month follow up - Everything is still working perfectly. I checked the belts and all this morning and I would have to say this install is a complete success.

Rumor is George lowered his prices by 1/3! With his bracket set up so F ing cheap and some careful shopping, there can't be a cheaper way to get a modern 24 volt alt or add 12 volts (or both).

I'll report back if something goes wrong - I doubt you'll be hearing from me on this again.

[thumbzup]

sp00n

I'll double check my routing. I followed the factory wiring and zip tied off to it.

And if you missed it in my post - I plan to hook the winch DIRECTLY to the battery. The ten gauge wire is to keep the battery topped off and to feed the soon to be installed fuse box which will have a few light loads.

Run at least a 4gauge to the battery from the Alt hot side, especially if you want to run a winch. It doesn't matter what size wire you have running to the winch if you only have a 10 keeping the amps up in the battery. You are in danger of overloading a 10gauge wire to the point of an electrical fire/meltdown with that kind of draw. If it was me doing the install I'd use some good quality welder power leads from the alt to the batt.

tm america

that little winch probably only uses a 10 gauge wire to power it...I have run 12000lbs winchs off of the battery on my trailer that is fed by a 10 gauge wire with no problems..Most cars-trucks only use a 10 gauge wire to the bat from the alt..I can't remember seeing any with a melted alt wire due to over loading...The load that wire sees is based on the out put of the alt not the draw on the battery.As long as it can handle the amp output of the alt it will be ok mo matter what draw you put on the battery.IF you draw more than the alt puts out it will discharge the battery or kill the alt before it melts the wire..

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that little winch probably only uses a 10 gauge wire to power it...I have run 12000lbs winchs off of the battery on my trailer that is fed by a 10 gauge wire with no problems..Most cars-trucks only use a 10 gauge wire to the bat from the alt..I can't remember seeing any with a melted alt wire due to over loading...The load that wire sees is based on the out put of the alt not the draw on the battery.As long as it can handle the amp output of the alt it will be ok mo matter what draw you put on the battery.IF you draw more than the alt puts out it will discharge the battery or kill the alt before it melts the wire..

The wire to my 12 volt battery is larger than the little wire powering the HF winch. The wire to 12 volt battery is also the same size as the output wire factory installed on the 24 volt side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks