• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Silicone Boot Installation Part 1

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in the process of doing my deuce bobb job and ran into some front axle issues. Thanks to Banshee365, FrodoBagggins, and Recovry4x4 I decided to take advantage of bearable 70 degree temperature in the Texas Hill Country and "get er done". I had taken everything apart and cleaned all the parts and let me tell you, it is a real job cleaning things up but it was worth it to have a good place to start the installation from.

I have attached some photos on today's work up to installing the break shoes and wheel cylinders (which have been rebuilt) and I also needed new bearings. I followed the previous foot steps carefully and the only thing I added was a small rubber nipple at the end of all the boot clamps hoping it may minimize boot wear. I will post the next batch after I finish the job.

Attachments

DieselBob

It will be interesting to see the life of the silicone boots. I just did mine but used the rubber boots and some guys aren't having much luck with them lasting.

DieselBob

That didn't come out right. I was referring to where some of the guys had used the current new star rubber, including me, and they weren't lasting. Not the silicone.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why didn't you go with black silicone boots vice Flourescent Lime Green? Just asking...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in the process of doing my deuce bobb job and ran into some front axle issues.

Your supposed cut the rear end off and remove a rear axle, to do a bob job! :wink:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understand Bob. I used the green because Eriks did not have the black and I want to attract lightning bugs :p **** Doghead, I did not know that. This site is an audition grounds for comedians. I will post the bobb pictures later. It should take me about 2 weeks to get the grease off my hands.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh! I wanted to take the knuckle off to blast and paint it. Good point though. The real benefit of all this is that I know the front axle parts will be in top shape. Will do the rear also when I flip the hubs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newstar is the current Mfr of the sillicone boots and won't make them in black. They want to make sure that their silicone boots are not confused with the rubber ones. They weren't even going to make green until enough dealers complained.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newstar is the current Mfr of the sillicone boots and won't make them in black. They want to make sure that their silicone boots are not confused with the rubber ones. They weren't even going to make green until enough dealers complained.
Boyce Equipment $31.50 each in black!

panshark

that bright green color is no problem! That's a beautiful canvas waiting for mud and road-grime to be applied, to give it a veritable 3-color camo scheme![thumbzup]

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh! I wanted to take the knuckle off to blast and paint it. Good point though. The real benefit of all this is that I know the front axle parts will be in top shape. Will do the rear also when I flip the hubs.

I wish most guys thought like you. As you said, now you will know it's done and done right. Confidence in your truck is very comforting.2cents

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah Kenny, I ordered the black "silicone" boots from them, they sure look and feel like the one piece rubber newstar boots to me. . .

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ, it's hard to tell the difference between silicone and the real thing! ;-)