• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

Stonepicker1

1999 CUCV-II, 1-1/4 ton, 4X4, Type B, Cargo Truck/Personnel Carrier with 6.5 turbo and only 16,000 miles.:)

My New Year Resolution: To start rebuilding the CUCV II that I bought back in Nov of 2008 from MacD*LL AFB in Tampa, Fl. I deployed to Ir*q for a year and now its time to :grd:
First off, I thought it may of been bad PMD or maybe a bad injector pump(by GL pictures) but after picking it up and looking it over I saw a lot more issues. Motor mounts were missing bolts, oil pan was loose and missing bolts, starter missing to name a few.
I worked on it all day today. I removed all the glow plugs to release any compression and tried to turn the engine over by hand. The crank would not turn at all. So if I wanted to pull the engine I would have to pull the transmission with it also. Well I looked at that and it was a lot of work. So I dropped the oil pan to see if I could fine something that would make the engine to be seized. Well it took some time to get the oil pan off and out of the way(almost thought about dropping the front axle). But I did find something, on the front part of the crank, the rod bearing took a sh*t. I had a hard time getting the caps off, but when I did I was able to turn the engine over and remove the flywheel bolts.
I'm almost ready to pull the engine, just have to disconnect the power steering lines and the oil cooler lines.

Here are some pictures, more to follow.....:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

:driver:Here is the the New, GEP 6.5 engine that will be going into the truck. I bought a new HO water pump and new Injectors for a total of just over $6,000 shipped. I have new glow plugs. Looking for a new or rebuilt injector pump with PMD.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very much appreciate your photo-documenting this. I can't imagine how many hours you will have in this after the additional work associated with the air conditioning and turbocharger. But the time and expense will be well worth it to have this bad azz truck with the dream Optimizer 6.5 power plant.

topgun217

Your Back ! I beleive we've been waiting to see what your next step would be on your return home. I remember when I was stationed at McDill, seeing their cucv's all running in their compound for 1/2 a day. Those trucks rarely moved. Hey, keep the pics posted, and again thanks for your service to our great country.

ODdave

while your right there and spending good coin on the truck change out that front diff lube with some quality synthetic lube. GM has a bulitin on this b/c of a high rate of failiers. Sweet truck!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not the cheapest folks on the planet, RPM diesel down on 84 does top quality rebuilds. I got a bunch of miles out of my last unit from them.

Stonepicker1

Got the old engine out this afternoon, everything went well. I took the power steering bracket assy off the engine instead of of trying to remove the lines.

Attachments

transman

A good site to check for an IP and related electronics might be ssdieselsupply.com. all they deal with is 6.5s. I 've had good results the few times I've delt with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks