• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dot3,4,5, why

DEUCEBIGALOW

My brake system is open and when I fill this up and get it stopping again, why cant I use DOT3 or DOT4 and if I cant why not not and If i can whats the downfall...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use DOT 5 exclusively. Why, because they don't make DOT 6. Both will work for you. DOT3 is cheaper. Both will stop you but DOT 5 won't absorb water like DOT 3. There are multiple sides to both stories, good and bad points for each one. Pick one you are comfy with and get it going.

Marlboro

the other problem with changing to one of the others is the amount of work needed. you will need to rebuild or replace all parts of brake system that has contact with fluid.. it will as need to complty fluse system u do not want to mix them.

DEUCEBIGALOW

Well the MC is completly dry.. So i figured I would ask.. But the 7.99 for 11 ounces was a big shock when im used to paying that much for two quarts worth.. Any body know what the whole system will hold Im sure its prob at least a quart worth ..

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used about a gallon of DOT 3 when I replaced all the wheel cylinders and rubber hoses.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can find DOT 5 fluid reasonable at Surplus dealers. My last 2 gallons were $10 each. The most expensive i've bought were $32. When I find them cheap, I stock up and never buy from a parts store.

DEUCEBIGALOW

Ya ok that pretty much makes life alot easier. thanks for all the help so far guys. Now maybe im not seeing something here but on a norm rig you open the MC and put fluid in it... The only way i see to do it in my truck is to open the trap door and take that line off the top of the MC and then pull the cap off.. Am i doing this wrong it just doesnt seem right. :confused:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do NOT buy it from an auto parts place! Get it from a surplus place like FLMV, Muttparts, Franks, EBAY etc. If you do change to DOT 3 make sure you remove all DOT 5 and change the stencil to DOT 3 ONLY so the next buyer doesn't put in the fluid that is called for in the manuals.

wdbtchr

If you shop around on epay a little you can find it around $25 to $30 a gallon pretty often. I recently found a case(12 bottles) of 12oz bottles for $26 plus $10 shipping. I like the small bottles for topping off, keep a couple in each truck. I'm sorry there isn't enough lub to buy it at a regular auto parts place.:roll:

ODdave

Personaly I find the price difference a small price to pay as the dot 3&4 are hydoscopic and can destroy a brake system even when it just sits there. The dot 5 being silicone repels water and cotes the internals helping to prevent rust. "I'd rather dump oil on my truck than salt"

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The downside of the DOT 5 is the spongier feeling pedal, I am not an engineer
but a friend who is explained it that Silicone molecules compress at a different rate.
All I know is the rubber components seem to like the DOT 5 better and it won't peel
paint like DOT 3 and if you spill it on CARC paint you can clean up with Lacquer thinner
with no bad effects on the coating.

popacom / BILL in Ky[thumbzup]

storeman

This may sound stupid, but the two trailers i bought have working surge brakes and how do you tell what the MC has in it? difference in color between the DOTs? If so, what color is which?
Jerry:?:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks