• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking hub on front and REAR of Bobbed Deuce

oddshot

Can locking hubs be installed on the rear axle of a bobbed 4x4 Deuce?

I have a 68 AM General that I am going to bob. I would like to install a set of MANUAL locking hubs, one on the front, one on the rear, in order to improve "in-town" and parking lot maneuverability.

This truck will only see VERY light off-road use. BUT I want to be able to lock the hub when I want to. Getting out of the truck and turning the knob is fine with me.

I HAVE searched this forum for info on this subject ... but have only found confusing threads filled with speculation, opinion and etc.

IF locking can be installed on the rear axle ... can anybody recommend a manufacturer or brand name?

oddshot

oddshot

What's up pal ... did I pi** in yer corn flakes by mistake?

Tires spin at different rates in a corner ... all FOUR wheels.

My understand is that all axles of a Deuce are locked ... ALL wheels turn at the same rate.

By unlocking the rear AND the front the truck will corner at low speeds better.

I *think* I asked a reasonable question, in a reasonable manner.

Am I missing something?

oddshot

KsM715

The deuce has open diffs. Lockout hubs will be good on the front, they will help with fuel econ. but they would be useless on the back. (it does not have lockers in it)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

My understand is that all axles of a Deuce are locked ... ALL wheels turn at the same rate.

Am I missing something?

oddshot
Your understanding is incorrect. No axles in the deuce are locked and unlocking one rear tire will net you with no ability to go. With that said, yes you can do it. Ouverson sells the hubs and double splines axles to perform the task. Total cost for 2 set of hubs and 2 DS axles would be about $1600.

oddshot

It will get poor fuel economy with both axles locked out. :mrgreen:

Soooo ... you think with all wheels turning at the same speed in a corner ... fighting against one another ... the truck will bet BETTER MILEAGE???

Let me re-ask my question...

ahem.

Can locking hubs be installed on the rear axle of a bobbed 4x4 Deuce?

NOT a 6x6.

Can somebody recommend a manufacturer?

Please ... If you don't have a direct answer ... to a direct and specific question ... could we PLEASE save the band with.

PLEASE???

oddshot

ODdave

Am I missing something?

oddshot
Not shure who you are responding to but almost all deuces have open diffs. RESEARCH would provide this info. by instaling lockouts and unlocking both hus would be like having the truck in netural.....

jatonka

I think the people are all wondering about your motive since the deuce does not come with lockers as standard equipment and you don't have to kill the rear axle for any reason to make sharp turns. As far as who sells lockout hubs for the deuce, I do. JT out

Attachments

oddshot

The deuce has open diffs. Lockout hubs will be good on the front, they will help with fuel econ. but they would be useless on the back. (it does not have lockers in it)

WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

It is VERY hard around here to get a straight up answer to a question.

Apparently I was sadly mis-informed. I was led to believe from the threads I read that the axles were ALL locked!!!

I SAID I had searched this topic ... and I said I was confused by all the crap I found.

Your reply is the FIRST I have seen that described the rear axles as being open rears.

Again, many thanks.

oddshot

Last edited:

ODdave

Nobody ment to piss in yer corn flakes (thought they where wheates) I thought it was a trick question. When you did the P.M. on your truck and Inspected & serviced your brakes I figured you would have seen they didnt have lockers. Sorry.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only net improvement you'll see with locking hubs is reduced fuel consumption when installed on the front. This is because the axles are no longer spinning, nor is the gearset/pinion/front driveshaft. Now, as others have pointed out, the rear axle needs both axles to be engaged to the wheels/hubs. Otherwise the differential will simply allow the spider gears to turn and power will go to the axle shaft/shafts not connected to the wheel/hub assembly with the unlocked hub. The only way one could feasibly use a hub at each corner is if a detroit locker has been installed. That would replace the differential and cause both axles to move at the same speeds. (Unless one axle speed is overran by wheelspeed IE: the cornering difference you're concerned with) But honestly, the weight of a deuce (even bobbed) makes a locker manageable.

Here's a illustration of how a diff works, this is the same setup our deuces have.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLE0_Sjqw4[/media]

Here's another one as well that will help you realize how things work.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bf9jpsnGQ[/media]

jatonka

To the best of my knowledge, only Marine corps 900 sreies and all Bridge trucks had lockers in the USA. Norway ordered Deuces with lockers a lot of years ago and they were air lockers at all 3 axles with 3 air switches under the dash board, check with Davd Doyle for specifics. JT out

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm putting a locking hub on the rear of my deuce, but I still have all my axles.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks