• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start Switch

dhall

The start switch on my 88 deuce tests bad - it is the rotary type with a four-pin connector. I'm not having any luck finding one - anybody know of a source? The part numbers on the switch show D.M. 1483-mfr-81263 US. Thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the main power switch? If so I've got a used one or can get you a new one. The starter switch is a button on every deuce I've seen.

dhall

At some point they started putting in a switch that has a handle on it and turns clockwise about 45 degrees to start and has a four-wire connector as opposed to the two-wire on the button type start switch. I know several other owners of late model deuces that all have the same switch. I have not been able to find a revision to the TMs that show the new switch and wiring. Thanks for the tip, I'll try Saturn today.

dhall

The truck still has the same master switch as shown in the TMs, that puts power to all the systems, but the start switch was changed from the push button style to a spring-loaded turn type with four wires. Wire numbers 74 and 27 are the start wires, but wire numbers 117 and 118 also go thru the switch. Like I said, I can't find a wiring diagram that show this change so far, but still looking. This must have been a change done by AM General at some point. This particular truck was built in 1988 and delivered to the Air Force in February 1989.

peashooter

Did anyone figure out this 4 wire switch yet? I'm trying to troubleshoot the dual circuit brake dash warning light system on my deuce. Basically the quick story is that at some point the warning light was removed and the harnesses unplugged. I purchased a new light, and am trying to get the harnesses back in place but not sure to what. My truck (88 m109a3 AF) has the 2 wire push button swith now. So I have this wire harness with 4 plugs as well as a 2 wire (3 pin plug) hanging there not connected to anything . they all loop back into each other and only have 2 wires leaving the harness to go under the truck to the airpacks, proportion valve and ebrake switch.
I know what the individual plugs do on this harness (127 and 167 go to the dash light) What I cant figure out is where do the 4 pin plug (117,118,127,174) and the 3 pin plug but only 2 wires (127,174) go? any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I need to get 127 connected to a +24v supply somewhere, just dont know where? the switching for the warning light seems to come from the ebrake switch and airpack switches going to ground.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a NHTSB recall on the switch, put out in 1989. Look under AM General, I've posted it on here before. Also, that number chart is for tracked vehicles, not wheeled... Won't be much help here. Search for a thread entitled m35a2 twist style switch, this has been discussed before.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Allow me to post the link:
http://www.ownersite.com/recalls/recalls.cfm/1989/AM%20GENERAL/M44A2/

If the link doesn't work here's what it says:
The Following Recall May Potentially Affect Your
1989 AM GENERAL M44A2

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:STARTER ASSEMBLY:RELAYNHTSA Campaign No:89V138000Manufacturer's Campaign No: Manufactured From:09/01/1987 - 08/01/1989Units Affected:2,731Owner Notification Date:08/10/1989Description of Defect
THE NARTRON INSTRUMENT PANEL MOUNTED STARTER SWITCH MAY STICK WHEN STARTING TRUCK DUE TO OVERTORQUING OF RETAINING NUT.​
Consequence of Defect
RETURN SPRING WOULD NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY.​
Corrective Action
INSTALL NEW IMPROVED DOUGLAS STARTER SWITCH AND HARNESS ASSEMBLY.​

wsucougarx

You're welcome Jonathon! So far so good with my two '88's. Probably should make it a habit to stow a spare starter switch for those "just in case" moments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks