• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Busted Pressure Plate

k4vem4n

My long lasting journey to get my deuce home has hit another speed bump.
Equipped with a new clutch and new seals, I headed up to where my truck is resting, to have her fixed.
I pulled the tranny and while unbolting the pressure plate I immediately noticed the pressure against the bolts and realized my nightmare....not one, not two, but THREE fingers were broken on the PP. @#$^%
Ok so I just assumed the plate would be fine and didn't order one. Since this was now my second trip up (600 miles), I was ready to compromise. I brought a welder but it seemed the plate is made of cast, not optimal for repairs. But figured it was worth a try. My efforts proved worthless, I got her back together and it failed in less than 5 minutes. Double @%$#^
So back home I am, gotta order a plate and try again next weekend.
Its funny how things work out, I have brought so much stuff to be ready for the unknown, but its always gonna be the one or two things you're not ready for.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Broken fingers could mean the clutch was mis adjusted to the point of over extending the fingers (IE bearing travel too far ) you only need enough movement to disengage the clutch disk.. no need to push it in to the fly wheel.

k4vem4n

Can anyone tell me if the 3 finger and 4 finger PPs are interchangeable? the clutch I bought is 3 puck disc (6 pucks in 3 pairs) for a 3 finger PP. As you can see in the pictures my truck has a 4 finger PP and had a 5 puck clutch.
I was going to get the PP that is sold for the clutch and just want to make sure the new one will bolt up without any issues, it seem, in pictures, that the new one has 4 more bolt holes than the old one.

brianrbull

Westech I will both agree and disagree with you .... I have about 10 years in heavy truck driveline experience. and the "Puck" discs you are referring to I assume are the ceramic friction material? They are "Better" in the area of Oil and other contaminants do not cause them to slip. but they are far more aggressive and if a driver is used to an organic (Round) disc they will quickly eat up the flywheel. The older organic style are a lot more forgiving on a driver who tends to "Slip" the clutch. where the ceramic is not... THis is just my 2c and mileage may vary
Hope the rambling reply is understandable

Out Here

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think thats why they are better. You should not slip the clutch in a truck like this, there is no reason to.

Westech

CPL
both of the two posts are spot on. You will grove a fly wheel with the "new" style. If you are a clutch rider in truck of any size go back to your mama's Honda and leave the Truck drivin to the big boys.

poppop

I quit using the ones with pucks on my farm tractors because of them eating up flywheels. They hold better but with me having employees who drove them it did not work out. I explain how to drive them but does very litle good most of the time. The last one I had lasted a week and had to replace the flywheel also. Sent a man to clean up a manure pile, every tried loading a front end loader in high gear. Tractor would not even move itself in less than thirty minutes.

RANDYDIRT

I quit using the ones with pucks on my farm tractors because of them eating up flywheels. They hold better but with me having employees who drove them it did not work out. I explain how to drive them but does very litle good most of the time. The last one I had lasted a week and had to replace the flywheel also. Sent a man to clean up a manure pile, every tried loading a front end loader in high gear. Tractor would not even move itself in less than thirty minutes.
Did he speak English?

Dirt

poppop

He was very dark complected and his people called him Pokey. Guess how he got that nickname. I have much better luck with the ones that don't speak good English. And those two guys have been on my farm for 19 years now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks