• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed a Grover Products Air Horn.

So today I completed part 1 of my horn install.
In the summer I attended the Barrington NH Old Truck Meet. While I was there I scored a great pair of GROVER PRODUCTS air horns (the regular tone not the fire truck stuttertone) for only $20! They were in need of some cleaning and one was missing the collar/mount rendering it useless until I can pick up another one. But the complete one was in perfect working order, so I spent an afternoon cleaning it with some neverdull and it came out great!
So today I got ambitious and decided to mount it on my Deuce. I had originally planned to mount it where the exising horns are so I could use the electric valve that is wired into the button on the wheel. But decided not to just because I wanted to keep the original hi-tone Deuce horns everyone knows and loves! <3 So I elected to mount it as a seperate horn, and where better to mount it? Why directly under the cab heater! All that unused space and prime flush steel? Couldn't think of a more perfect under hood install location.
1. I started by removing the heater and placing it atop the engine and out of the way.
2. Drilled the four holes (2 main mount, 1 forward mount, and 1 air fitting hole)
3. Bolted the horn to the plate and attatched the air fitting and hose.
4. Installed the plastic forend mount and cliped it onto the horn. This will absorb and eliminate most of the engine vibration.
5. Re-installed heater.

Didn't take me long at all and was very cheap and easy.
NEXT: Installation of my custom roof chain-pull lanyard system.

Attachments

Today I installed part 2 of my Grover Air Horn.

I wanted a big rig type roof chain-pull lanyard thingy. But I wasn't about to run an extra 8 feet of air hose to mount a valve to the inside of the cab.
I decided to mount the valve (just a basic WOLO lanyard valve) on the same surface as the horn was mounted. It made for a quick hookup of the inlet air hose and the short fat length going to the horn.

I bought a Choke Control Cable from NAPA for $15.00
Mounted the working end and screwed the cable into the provided brass housing which mounted to the control valve.
Decided to use a spring I had kicking around to prevent resistance from the cable from holding the valve open.
Mounted the control end of the cable (knob end) to the back of my cab.
Screwed an eyelet into my hardtop
Ran the chain from the front of the cab to a wire (eliminates resistance on the eyelet from the chain) and another lenght of chain to the knob.

Easy peasy. Job total = $70.00

Attachments

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking Good.
I thought of old Train whistle for events like memorial day or 4th of july parade and alot
more events and other stuff to.

The guy I bought it from had a set of NHN train horns (real ones, from an actual NHN locomotive) installed on the old hardtop.

He took them off though, I can imagine it was pretty excessive. He has them on his Unimog now.

I mounted a set of nathan K5HL trainhorns on the front fender of my 5 ton. I ran 3/4"line from the air tanks to a manual trainhorn valve mounted on the dash and then to the horns. I raised the air pressure to 120 psi. If you pull the valve wide open it will drain the tanks in about 30-40 seconds.

Attachments

goldwing2000

Banned
I'm thinking about changing the eyelet to some type of pulley, there is alot more resistance on the chain than there should be.

Still works great though.
Not to knock your design but I have to think it would have been cheaper and easier to run a nylaflow line with some compression fittings from the tanks to the roofline of the cab and then back down to the horn. Just spitballing...

Not to knock your design but I have to think it would have been cheaper and easier to run a nylaflow line with some compression fittings from the tanks to the roofline of the cab and then back down to the horn. Just spitballing...
Yeah I would have but the supply hose was already inside the engine compartment. And If you read one of my earlier posts I explain why I did not want the valve in the cab. [thumbzup]

goldwing2000

Banned
Yeah I would have but the supply hose was already inside the engine compartment. And If you read one of my earlier posts I explain why I did not want the valve in the cab. [thumbzup]
Just because you didn't want to run more air line, right? Yeah, I got that. Which is why I mentioned that the extra air line would have probably been cheaper and easier.

But hey... whatever works for ya!! [thumbzup]

Where did you pick up the lanyard valve?

Last edited:
Just because you didn't want to run more air line, right? Yeah, I got that. Which is why I mentioned that the extra air line would have probably been cheaper and easier.

But hey... whatever works for ya!! [thumbzup]

Where did you pick up the lanyard valve?
Got it off E-gay. But if you are lucky you can find one at a heavy truck supplier or auto performance shop.

Another reason I did not want the valve on the top, I wanted it to remain operational with the top removed. :lol:

goldwing2000

Banned
Got it off E-gay. But if you are lucky you can find one at a heavy truck supplier or auto performance shop.

Another reason I did not want the valve on the top, I wanted it to remain operational with the top removed. :lol:
Ahh... that makes sense! I found the valve at JC Whitney and a web site called Drillspot.com that offers free shipping.
Thanks again for the write up!

Jared

Going off on a little tangent -- 5ton beachbuggy -- do you have any more pictures of your winch install? Have not seen anything quite like that.

rolling18

I mounted a set of nathan K5HL trainhorns on the front fender of my 5 ton. I ran 3/4"line from the air tanks to a manual trainhorn valve mounted on the dash and then to the horns. I raised the air pressure to 120 psi. If you pull the valve wide open it will drain the tanks in about 30-40 seconds.
How do you raise the air pressure?????:twisted:

I just finished installing my Grover semi-horns!!
I just "T" off the stock horns and now I have 4 blowers!!!
the sound is Soo loud and un-believable!! its like the high pitched stockers and the much lower semi's all blend together and sound like a mini TRAIN!! and all from the stock horn button!

and for times when i dont want it so loud or just one or the other i put in shut off valves to each pair

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks