• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 twist style start

micmccon

I'm new so please don't club me like a baby seal for asking this question! I searched and didn't find the answer, so here goes. I went and looked at a 1987 m35a2 today and the starter switch was broken and dangling from the dash pannel. It WAS a twist style switch (different from all the other deuces on site) which appeared to be the same one used in the m35a3 parked next to it. It seemed that they could be easily swapped, but the switch terminals had no cavity designations to match up the connections and was wondering if the wiring diagram for this vehicle would be findable and if there are markings or something to get the right wires in the right place?:shock:

micmccon

Thanks for the reply. The attached schematic shows a 2 wire switch. The one I was looking at has 4 wires. The other 5 deuces had a push button (2 wires) and the one I am looking to buy has a quarter turn switch with 4 wires. I wish it were a 2 wire type because it is so simple. I left without getting it started. My volt meter is at work and would have helped greatly, but I still kinda want to know what's what.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either its a very late model deuce or someone has did some rewiring thats the wiring diagram from the TM
good luck . Do a search in the TM's for a A3 wiring diagram TM's are availible at; www.jatonkam35s.com

micmccon

It's a 1987 m35a2. I guess it's a pretty late build. The thing has 400 hours and 3600 miles on it. Drop sides, hard top, and heater. Little rust. I just gotta run it to make buying it worth it to me. This will be my first M.V. and want to get it right and not buy a junker. It was used by the Air Force (still has an A.F. tag on it) and doesn't have an oil slick under it! Compared to the other vehicles I looked at, it's other visible issues are manageable.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody in florida posted in a thread about a air force deuce with that type of switch . Do a adavanced search for
"air force deuce" thread is Need starter switch by pctrans. saturn surplus has the switch part #12276263

Edit; Also look for thread "Start switch" by dhall it states wire #74 and #27 are the start wires but wires #117 and #118 go through the switch also

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The starter button is just a momentary switch. Shouldn't matter if its a push button or twist style switch.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It doesn't have an oil slick under it because its an old air force truck. They only had trucks for show. Wait till its driven a while, it will "mark its territory" like the rest of them. Mine is ex air force and it leaks everywhere.

dragonwagon

It doesn't have an oil slick under it because its an old air force truck. They only had trucks for show. Wait till its driven a while, it will "mark its territory" like the rest of them. Mine is ex air force and it leaks everywhere.
Done a fair amount of reading around here . 1st iv heard about them being leakers . Mine dont leak anything ,,,,,,,,,, yet .

micmccon

Yeah, as a mechanic, my first instinct when seeing it with no leaks was "does this thing have oil in it?" I will try the starter thing again today most likely. I'll write down the circuit numbers and give 'em a try. I still wanna know what the other 2 wires are there for. People just dont make a 4 wire switch for the **** of it. They gotta do something!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post the wire numbers, going to your start switch.

All wire numbers are standardized with mil vehicles.

jasonjc

Some one just used a switch out of a 5 ton.
As for the AF trucks. Mine had to have the clutch and flywheel replaced(****fly boys). And they used the fuel tank to dispose of some kind of sealer stuffaua:evil:.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USAF M35A2c's do have the twist switch...

In the vehicle info packet that came with my 1988 USAF M35A2C, there is a letter from AMG telling units to replace the starter switch the truck came with to one specified in National Highway Traffic Saftey Adminstration recall campaign # 89V-138.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Pete has the same thing going on and of yet he has not traced down the extra wire( pair) he did find just the two heat in and out to the starter and is just useing them and starts fine. Wonder if this mod was for the eather start and gave it a shot just when starting. Pete still has the flame heater installed on his and the eather start but no bottle installed.

jasonjc

The USAF M35A2c's do have the twist switch...

In the vehicle info packet that came with my 1988 USAF M35A2C, there is a letter from AMG telling units to replace the starter switch the truck came with to one specified in National Highway Traffic Saftey Adminstration recall campaign # 89V-138.
My AF M35A2C '87-'88 came with the push botton switch. But I think it was a replacement.?.

Do you have any info on the recall???

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just what I posted. AMG sent the letter on january 24, 1990,

I found this online:
http://www.ownersite.com/recalls/recalls.cfm/1989/AM%20GENERAL/M44A2/

The interesting thing it says it to replace the switch and harness assembly. I'll take some pics of my switch and wiring tommorrow.

I ASSUME that all the USAF trucks in the 87-88 production run up until the recall came out are affected by this recall. I also ASSUME that the USAF performed the recall an all affected trucks. as in the letter from AMG to the unit my truck was with at the time, it listed them by serial #. Knowing how seriously the USAF takes maintainence, it got done and noted.

Last edited:

jasonjc

Well here is a pic of mine. It has a sq plug that plugs into the harnes and has 4 wires coming out of it, 117 and 118 are butt conected together. The other 2 go thought the switch, but do not have the plug that should go on the back of the switch. But I'm not sure if I have the "new" switch or just an NOS one that they put in.

Attachments

micmccon

Sorry not to follow up. I didn't purchase the truck (foolish mistake most likely) and bought one from GL. I am very pleased with the one I bought and guess what, it has a wonderfully simple push button that works perfectly! I concluded that it was the starter at fault on the Air Force truck previously mentioned. The thing was completely shorted internally. After looking at mine, the AF deuce had a completely different starter and solenoid. Still haven't seen a wiring diagram that looks like what I was working on. Thanks all for the replies!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks