• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1009 Fuel Tank Size

bbqfan5909

Fellas,

Finally found why my fuel gauge was not working and its the Fuel Sender assembly not working. My questions is, what size tank do I have (Napa claims there is 25 & 30 gallon tanks)? Any recommendations on a good place to order a new one? Could not find much helpful information on the search.

Thanks,

Casey

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fellas,

Finally found why my fuel gauge was not working and its the Fuel Sender assembly not working. My questions is, what size tank do I have (Napa claims there is 25 & 30 gallon tanks)? Any recommendations on a good place to order a new one? Could not find much helpful information on the search.

Thanks,

Casey
**** I am NOT busting your chops. This applies to every MV/CUCV owner ****

Have you never looked at the TM 9-2329-289-10 Operator Manual?

Table 1-1 on page 1-12 shows the M1009 fuel tank capasity as 27 Gal.

Why would you ask Napa what size it is when you have all the part numbers and specs in the Tech Manuals and Parts Manuals? Can they even spell CUCV?....:wink:

Last edited:

bbqfan5909

I provided them with the part number from TM and Napa claims that there is two different sizes (25 and 30 gallon tanks). Anyone have a good website to order from?

Thanks,

Casey

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We didn't know you took the part number into Napa.

Doing a Goolge search on part # 14050685 shows that RockAuto.com has them for ~$110 along with Carpartsdiscount.com

Last edited:

mutt1966

The GM 31 Gal. tank fits with the skid plate they were the same...... and when you are buying an after market tank ask what side the fill spout is on they will probably try to sell you one for a Suburban . Scott O&O

bbqfan5909

Sorry for the confusion and poor wording. What is the stock fuel tank size for the M1009 and what fuel sending unit do I need.

Here is the trouble shooting info on the fuel gauge:

Thank you all very much for the help. Slowly I am shooting the trouble. Turns out the gauge does work and after a bunch of cuss words and broken fragile pieces I got the gauge to move to "F" while connected to the harness. Turns out the culprit to the dead gauge was dirty connections. Unfortunately however the needle keeps going even though the tank is quiet empty.

But there is hope because grounding the resistance lug did move the needle back down to "E". So we will see if grounding the sending wire to the frame will produce the same results.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front Line Military Vehicles www.flmv.net shows the sender on their webpage. Call them and see if they still have them in stock.

GM 25004140 Sender Fuel Quan CUCV Blazer

bbqfan5909

Here is the three they show on rockauto.com (which one?):

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # FG12A Includes Fuel Sender, Float and Strainer (Fuel Pump Not Included) (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)
25 Gal.; 3 Outlets $53.79

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # FG12J Includes Fuel Sender, Float and Strainer (Fuel Pump Not Included) (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)
31 Gal.; w/o Fuel Return; 3 Outlets $68.79

DORMAN Part # 692139 {#25004087} Number of Outlets: 3; OHMS: 0-95
w/25 Gal. Tank; 3 Outlets $71.79

Last edited:

notsosanestan

you can measure the tank to get the size.

Gas Tank Capacity : 25 GAL
Gas Tank Height : 10 3/4"
Gas Tank Length : 28 3/4"
Gas Tank Width : 28 1/8"

Gas Tank Capacity : 31 GAL
Gas Tank Height : 12 3/4"
Gas Tank Length : 28 3/4"
Gas Tank Width : 28 1/8"

CycleJay

BBQFan,

Again, the stock size for the M1009 fuel tank is 27 gallons.
Go here to find all the specifications on the M1009.
Truck, Utility, 3/4 ton, 4x4 M-1009

Let me repeat, the stock fuel tank size for the M1009 is 27 gallons.

The fuel tank in my 1985 M1009, is 27 gallons, because when I top it off,
I can get over 25 gallons before I see the fuel come up near the top of the filler tube.

Good night,

CJ

Miah

Gm parts wiki shows GM #14050685 as being base 20gal tank in 85/86, which jives with the capacity of my blazer.

The Dorman 25gal appears to be the often listed replacement when you search the gm part number.

Last edited:

DavidJBlythe

Its 25 gallons. Go with Spectra 25 gal tank and the spectra 25 gal sending unit. Also, get a set of tank straps while you are at it. If your truck has any rust, you are probably going to have to replace some broken bolts. My bumper is slightly bent in and down, so I had to remove the frame support crossmember that supports the pintle hitch. If you want extra fuel capacity, you can go with the 31 gallon tank, but be really careful about which fuel sending unit you buy. The 31 gallon unit from rockauto and other places doesn't have a return (which is required). Also, I would recommend buying a few feet of replacement fuel line. While you have the tank out, it's a good time to do anything in the rear end. I might be replacing body mounts since they are so exposed right now.

paramilusmc

Its 25 gallons. Go with Spectra 25 gal tank and the spectra 25 gal sending unit. Also, get a set of tank straps while you are at it. If your truck has any rust, you are probably going to have to replace some broken bolts. My bumper is slightly bent in and down, so I had to remove the frame support crossmember that supports the pintle hitch. If you want extra fuel capacity, you can go with the 31 gallon tank, but be really careful about which fuel sending unit you buy. The 31 gallon unit from rockauto and other places doesn't have a return (which is required). Also, I would recommend buying a few feet of replacement fuel line. While you have the tank out, it's a good time to do anything in the rear end. I might be replacing body mounts since they are so exposed right now.
So forgive my ignorance, and for my resurrection of this thread. So what would happen if you used the spectra FG12A unit listed above http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=17326, but used it with a larger 31 gallon tank (you know so you would have a return)? Would it just not suck up the 2 additional inches of fuel form the bottom of the tank or would it just give you funky readings?

My 1009 fuel gauge started doing the funky chicken last week and now will only show half a tank regardless of the fuel level. So this is another project I would like to tackle before winter sets in. I wouldn't mind adding some extra fuel capacity/rank to my ole girl.

Last edited:

scottladdy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks