• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Cincinnati Area Memorial Day Parade

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
West side of Cincinnati - Monday May 30. Cleves, OH.

I am trying to help the local parade organizer gather military vehicles for the upcoming Memorial Day Parade.

If you would like to attend, feel free to respond here or send me a pm. I would like to get an estimate to the parade organizer so he can plan for our group.

ALSO: Anyone who is a current or discharged member of any of the armed services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, National Guard, Reserve, etc. ) will receive a magnetic sign with your name, branch of service, and years of service to display on your vehicle during the parade, and of course to keep afterwards. This will include the owner/driver of the vehicle, and/or any service member passenger that rides with you.
Please let me know if you think you can make it. Also if you or any other veteran will be riding along, please provide the following information for the magnetic sign for each veteran:

1) Name: John Smith
2) Branch of Service: US Navy
3) Years served: 1974-1976
I need this information right away so that the parade organizer can order the magnetic signs.

Thanks, Jeff

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update:

Just found out that All drivers will receive a ticket for a free lunch and drink at the American Legion after the parade.

Also a reminder to anyone else who is a veteran, or will have a veteran in their vehicle, send me the info as specified above. I need this by the end of the week to allow the parade organizer to order the signs.

CW3Topher

Jeff, do you know where we will meeting at prior to for the parade? Nancy and I plan on being there, had fun at the last Veterans Day one.
Chris

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had I known about this before now, I would have made plans for it. However, I regret not being able to attend. Maybe next year.
Mike,

We will be glad to have you join us next time. A group of us in-and-around the cincinnati area regularly attend BOTH a Memorial Day Parade, and a Veterans' Day Parade. You can put it on your calendar right now. We may also be getting into a 4th of July parade this year. Details will usually be posted in advance on this website, and if you want a personal notification, I can put your name on my list.

Bring the Thompson boys and the other central ohio members with ya. [thumbzup]

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parade starts promptly at 0930. Plan to be 30 to 60 minutes early.

Starting Point is:
TAYLOR HIGH SCHOOL
36 HARRISON AVE
NORTH BEND, OH
Parade start.jpg

If anyone wants to meet up before going to the start point, We can rally at the Ameristop Fuel Center - Exit 16 on I-275 (Lawrenceburg/Greendale exit). Then convoy about 8 miles along State Rt. 50 to the parade start point . Meet at 0815.
Rendevous Point.jpg

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link to a short news article:
90th annual Memorial Day parade set in Cleves - Share Story

Here is the text of the article:
Friday, May 20, 2011
90th annual Memorial Day parade set in Cleves
Contributed By: Shauna Steigerwald | The Enquirer

In honor of its 90th consecutive Memorial Day Parade, American Legion Miller Stockum Post 485 in Cleves promises a bigger and better event this Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, according to post commander Donnie Bennett.

One hundred antique cars, each carrying a veteran, will cruise along the parade route, which begins at Taylor High School in North Bend at 9:30 a.m. and travels down Miami Avenue through Cleves. Each car will stop on a red carpet stretched across Miami so that the veteran inside can be recognized, Bennett said. The parade will also feature seven military vehicles, 30 unicycles, school and church groups and more. And the post will pass out 1,400 small American flags to people on the streets.

Following the parade, a memorial, featuring a speaker, a patriotic song performed by the Taylor High School Band and a 21-gun salute, will be held at each of three mounds – Civil War, World War II and Korea/Vietnam – at Maple Grove Cemetery.

“It’s important to recognize the guys and women that have gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country,” Bennett said. “That’s what Memorial Day is all about.”

After the parade, the post, 29 E. State Road in Cleves, will offer a picnic. Brats, metts, mac and cheese, cole slaw and beverages will be available for a small charge.

The post can be reached at 513-941-1643.

The reference to the seven military vehicles is us ! That was my preliminary estimate. We are now counting 9 !

--

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks