• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

m715mike

It took a lot longer than expected (axles & breaks)

I drove my truck this weekend... For the first time since the 2015 Texas Rally last March!!!!

This weekend also marks the completion of work on all three axles and the brake system. My truck has been inoperable for the last six months partly because I kept finding issues to repair and partly because I have been insanely busy at work leaving little time for hobbies. I truly enjoy working on my truck and the learning that comes with experience. But, I am a little ticked-off because I paid a premium for this truck two years ago from a company in Southern California that supposedly "rebuilt" the truck. I know understand that their version of "rebuild" means they changed fluids and painted over years of dirt and grease (yes, they actually painted over the dirt and grease).

My takeaway from all of this is... Regardless of whom you buy a 40-year old truck from and regardless of what they tell you, inspect it and know for certain what you have! Don't take someone else's word for it. If you lack experience (like I do), find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to inspect the truck for you. Be there for the inspection and ask a lot of questions! Now, I am very lucky to know a good mobile mechanic with decades of experience that comes out to help on my truck.

Here is the mobile mechanic and my "storage unit" shop:
IMG_1101.jpgIMG_1065.jpg

I'm very lucky that the storage facility lets me work on my truck in the storage unit!

Here's a summary of the work that we finally completed this weekend:

Wheel Cylinders & Front Axle Boots - The front left wheel cylinder went-out last year. No big deal! My mobile mechanic buddy came-up and got it squared away in no time flat. He told me that when one goes, the rest usually follow in short order. At that time (in 2014), I began planning to replace the remaining 5 wheel cylinders. I also needed to replace the front axle boots (apparently they were not included in the "rebuild" I paid for). Here are some pictures of the old boots and Southern California sand that came in the axle of my "rebuilt" truck:
IMG_1069.jpgIMG_1078_Old Boot.jpgIMG_1082_Sand.jpg

I did a lot of reading on this website and then acquired all of the parts, which included one of Rockwelloffroad.com's front axle kits (boots and seals) that I purchased second hand from another SS member. (Note that Rock6x6 is a vendor on this site and sells their products through Rockwelloffroad.com. More about them below.)

Early in 2015, I lost a wheel cylinder on the center axle. In March 2015, I took a little time off from work, and the mechanic came back. We planned to replace the remaining 5 wheel cylinders and the front axle boots. The plan was to complete all of this work before the 2015 Texas Rally. We were only able to get the rear axles done before running out of time. That was good enough to get me to the rally and made for a great weekend!

However, shortly after the rally, the last unchanged wheel cylinder on my truck (front right) went out in early April. Then a couple projects came-up at work and a few months past in the blink of an eye! It was late August 2015 before I was able to return to my truck. Now with all the parts still in hand, all we had to do was tear-down the front axle and rebuild with new seals, boots and a wheel cylinder. No big deal... right? We started the work on a Friday (a rainy Friday). This is us "playing" in the rain:
IMG_1068.jpg

Everything was going very smooth until one of the brand new axle boots tore in my hand! Despite this, I still have favorable comments about Rockwelloffroad.com. I called their shop late that Friday afternoon. Fortunately, they are not too far from my home (only a 3 hour drive). The gentleman that answered the phone was very friendly and very helpful. I explained my dilemma, and he offered to meet me at a gas station out on the highway as soon as I could get there (i.e., late evening on a Friday). I was extremely impressed by their customer service! That gentleman went way over and above what I would expect from a parts shop! Now here's the kicker... He explained to me that their early axle boot design was flawed (this was the one that ripped in my hand). They now have a new design that is much thicker and easier to install. If you purchased an axle boot from them before 2015, try and get a replacement or just throw it in the trash. Their old design is not worth messing with (in my opinion). I had no recourse against Rockwelloffroad.com since I purchased the kit second hand from another SS member. I was just very happy to get a good boot so I could continue work that weekend.

I purchased new axle boots from them that Friday evening and my mechanic buddy came back the next day so we could finish (at least I thought...). That Saturday morning, while putting everything back together, we noticed my brake lines were in dangerously bad condition. We got the axle put back together, and then I ordered a new set of lines from Peashooter. I also built a power bleeder using Recovry4x4's design. Here are the old break lines, new break lines and power bleeder:
IMG_1102_Old lines.jpgIMG_1099_Peashooter Lines.jpgIMG_1095.jpg

Fast forward a couple of weeks, the brake lines came in the mail and my mechanic buddy came back to lend a hand again. Installing the brake lines was quick and easy. Using the pressure bleeder, we pressured-up the brake system and went to bleed the air pack. Right then the front boot on the master cylinder gave out and shot brake fluid everywhere! Worked stopped that day, and I ordered a new master cylinder from Clintogf. For good measures, I also ordered a NOS air pack from White Owl.

Again, fast forward a couple of weeks to this weekend. Between the two of us (my mechanic and I), replacing the master cylinder, replacing the air pack and bleeding the brake system was a pretty quick job. This time everything worked!!! It was great to finally drive my truck again this weekend!!

Here is a very old air pack. Although it hadn't gone out yet, I knew it was just a matter of time:
IMG_1170_Old Air Pack.jpg

So is there an SS award for taking the longest to fix something?????

Another Ahab

My takeaway from all of this is... Regardless of whom you buy a 40-year old truck from and regardless of what they tell you, inspect it and know for certain what you have! Don't take someone else's word for it. If you lack experience (like I do), find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to inspect the truck for you. Be there for the inspection and ask a lot of questions! Now, I am very lucky to know a good mobile mechanic with decades of experience that comes out to help on my truck.
I agree with you 100%, m715mike. A good mobile mechanic IS indeed one of the four essential friends everybody needs (the other three are a plumber, a dentist, and anybody else as long as it isn't a lawyer; you never want to HAVE to know a lawyer, that's not a good sign).

TsgtB

My deuce died on me today... i was moving it back to its parking spot after doing some excavating with a backhoe, and it sputtered and almost died, then when i got it parked it did it again and died.
I had put one fresh clean quart of ATF in the tank a few weeks ago ( to see what it would do for lubricating the HH).
Mixed with straight pump diesel, it ran good, surged a little at idle, I had ran that for about 40 miles, and i thought it may just be the higher BTU of the ATF... I'm hoping it just loosened up some crud. My filters are new spin-ons, with very low mileage, I have another new primary to put on.
I just wanted to toss this out for comments... flame on.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cant find the OIL PRESSURE SWITCH, as shown in the attached M35 wire diagram? I lloked in TM9-2320-209-20-1, where all thr electrical accessories are addressed, but the oil pressure switch is not mentioned... Help...

Attachments

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a pyrometer, boost gauge, start disable switch, took it for a spin with the kids and am running 850 degrees chugging down the road at 55, and about 275 at idle on pump diesel.

Also installed a new air horn, had non military plastic toy horn with no electric solenoid that he dog chewed up trying to get the cat who likes to sleep in top of the valve covers. Got a military steel one with solenoid. Holy crap that sucker is LOUD compared to the old one.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My deuce died on me today... i was moving it back to its parking spot after doing some excavating with a backhoe, and it sputtered and almost died, then when i got it parked it did it again and died.
I had put one fresh clean quart of ATF in the tank a few weeks ago ( to see what it would do for lubricating the HH).
Mixed with straight pump diesel, it ran good, surged a little at idle, I had ran that for about 40 miles, and i thought it may just be the higher BTU of the ATF... I'm hoping it just loosened up some crud. My filters are new spin-ons, with very low mileage, I have another new primary to put on.
I just wanted to toss this out for comments... flame on.
I would almost bet 100% the ATF has nothing to do with your issues. I would lean more toward a bolt not tight or a gasket issue with the new filters.

TsgtB

OK, cool.... maybe its just a hiccup. I didnt try to restart it after it died.
I think it just needs to run, it ran perfect and strong a couple of days ago.

FarmerRob

Fixed the hole in the radiator on my bobber... and as soon as I fired it up to verify the repair, discovered a HUGE hole in the j-pipe. It never ends...

daytonatrbo

Fixed the hole in the radiator on my bobber... and as soon as I fired it up to verify the repair, discovered a HUGE hole in the j-pipe. It never ends...
Rusty J pipes suck. I need to replace mine, but I think I can buy a stainless 180 and weld it up for a lot cheaper than a replacement pipe.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a J pipe?

It is the exhaust pipe that, as the name implies, is shaped like the letter J and runs from the engine compartment, into the right-hand wheel well (aft area under fender) and then bends UP to connect to the exhaust stack and/or muffler (is so equipped).

They are notorious for catching and holding rainwater if the engine is not started occasionally - much like the J-trap under your kitchen sink - and subsequently rusting through its lowermost bend.
When an engine that has been sitting and rainwater has collected in the J Pipe, the exhaust will often belch a nasty back soot and water concoction upon start-up. "STAND CLEAR"!!!!!

Last edited:

FarmerRob

Yeah, and as far as I can tell, freight runs around $45 for an item that size from the "typical" couriers.
Yep, that's what I found, too. Anybody have any idea what the bend radius is on these things?

I've Been thinking about making one out of 5" tube.
Go big or go home.
There would really be no point in that. The turbo outlet is only 3" and you're only pushing 130HP so a big exhaust would only be a bigger rain catcher. Plus it might get in the way of the tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks