• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Kloakndagr

I removed and replaced a bent drivers side fender mount. Fab a fix for my rusted and loose driver side fender, reinstalled glove compartment, and finally removed the two rusted windows which were installed by Uncle Sam who "rigged" duece windshield windows as camper windows. I also fixed the dash gauge mount that rattled to high heaven, simple $4 fix. I gotta find something better than these modified windows. Any suggestions?

brianp454

Can you provide a pic of these camper windows? I would suggest checking with the surplus resellers and local guys, especially the guys that do bobbers and sometimes have trucks they are parting out (or piles of rusting hardware that PO all of the neighbors).

I removed and replaced a bent drivers side fender mount. Fab a fix for my rusted and loose driver side fender, reinstalled glove compartment, and finally removed the two rusted windows which were installed by Uncle Sam who "rigged" duece windshield windows as camper windows. I also fixed the dash gauge mount that rattled to high heaven, simple $4 fix. I gotta find something better than these modified windows. Any suggestions?

Kloakndagr

Can you provide a pic of these camper windows? I would suggest checking with the surplus resellers and local guys, especially the guys that do bobbers and sometimes have trucks they are parting out (or piles of rusting hardware that PO all of the neighbors).
The windows that are in it now are standard duece windshield windows. I'm looking for anything military looking as a replacement window.

eagle4g63

I finally took out my old motor and installed a LDS motor I just rebuilt, also installed extra air horn, and back up switch on the trans. Just need to finish installing my 5 ton multi air cleaner and the new 5" exhaust.

Gotta give a thanks to George for helping out on this:beer:, we used his equipment......and yes he even helped with some wrenching.

Attachments

Hainebd

1st run with Big Brute

Ok for the past 2 months we have planed a weekend camping trip with friends. I had hoped to take brute but issues with his brakes an flats dr it seam impossible. Jimmies Lakeside helped out with both and Brite could go and did. 16 of us had a great time in the NJ pines Rangers,Park Officers and Staff were great. Saturday we rode 86 miles in the pines, swam in a lake. Had lunch on the trail and got lost. We ate like kings and stayed up talking till the late hour. We stuck one truck. Broke one winch cable and got low on gas so had to run to a station for fill up. Everyone from our youngest at 2 to oldest at 53 had a great time and are planning another run.
We could not run these trucks without help So. Tank You to everyone

Brian

eagle4g63

Motor was a fresher rebuild that got burned out........so new pistons, rings, liners and twin oil squirters.....new style head gaskets, different set of heads with complete head jobs(valves, decked, the works) all new gaskets.....still have to have injectors cleaned and tuned(they are fine just want to make 100% sure) It had new compressor, new water pump, new starter, and new style clutch........so those just stayed. All new bolts on dang near everything that went back on(may have used one or two here or there that were new......new belts, new alternators, new wires on the starter, a couple of new copper lines. And of course.....NEW PAINT:D gotta make it purty!!

I didn't even add up everything, but if I had to guess, about $1,500 in all.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VERY NICE Eagle4g63 , looks VERY good , bet you are glad that is behind you ! job well done .

DeucesWild11

Drove it to Home Depot after a quick charge of the batteries.. yeah you know where this is going. Got her all loaded up with wood for the deck, right around closing time (10pm) on Sat. Go to crank and nothing.. darn! Asked a guy for help and he got one of the cashiers to bring her car over to try and jump, I did disconnect the hot wire before cranking not to damage the car but nothing.. I noticed the parking lot is pitched away from the store so me and two other great guys backed her up so I could roll her away from the building in an attempt to bump start her. Tried it in 1st gear.. that doesn't work incase you ever wondered. I had enough parking lot left to try again in second and whoom she came back to life! A big thank you to the guys at the Brewster NY Home Depot for helping out!

Dipstick

I finally installed my new Whistler turbocharger. I had originally intended to rebuild the existing one, but someone had taken a grinder to it in a hammer fisted attempt to balance it I guess. Notice the grinding on the center hub, nut, and four blade edges. All I need now are the parts back from the sandblaster to complete the work. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!Old Exhaust Wheel Small.jpgNew Turbo Small.jpg

welldigger

I finally installed my new Whistler turbocharger. I had originally intended to rebuild the existing one, but someone had taken a grinder to it in a hammer fisted attempt to balance it I guess. Notice the grinding on the center hub, nut, and four blade edges. All I need now are the parts back from the sandblaster to complete the work. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!View attachment 436265View attachment 436266
I see why you decided to replace it. The turbo shop I use would have pointed to the trash can if took that to them. Glad to hear your getting everything back together.

Dipstick

Brian. I surprised myself and sent the turbo kit to you today. It should arrive at your door on or about next Thursday.
Owen "Dipstick" McCaffrey

Dipstick

I have them sandblasted and then I paint them myself. I use Rust-Oleum self-etching primer (nice gray-green color) with a topcoat of Rapco O.D. Green. I try to use the original fasteners. All of which get wire brushed. I use taps and dies to make sure the threads are clean and I almost always use anti-seize compound. I want to see if the new turbo lets us climb a nearby grade with a few hundred more rpm on the dial. Brutus and I usually get dogged down to about 1500 rpm just before the crest in 5th.

I know what you mean about time. There never seems to be enough. What type of tires and rims are you using? Are you going to post some pics? That's some really hard work with tires and rims that heavy. I've heard the lug nuts can be tough too. Hopefully you can find the time to get the job done and get back on the road soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks