• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Keyed Ignition Switch Install

coondog

I'm wanting to install a keyed ignition switch, and I need help. Like Type of switch, what to remove and how to wire up new switch.
I've had some troubles with the ignition switch not starting the first or second times. Then today it left me stranded as truck would not start. Checked the battery cables all were tight. Pulled the caps off of batteries and they were boiling inside with the switches off. Pulled the batteries and checked them and replaced one. Reinstalled and the sparks flew, with switches off. I've checked other treads and will work on the starter. I still want to install a keyed ignition switch. THANKS

coondog

I'm hoping somebody will walk me through it. I've seen an A3 with a key switch. May have to go to Wichita and take a closer look at it.

hdmax

Are you thinking of doing it this way? Or do you want to get rid of everything and start it with a key like just about every other vehicle made these days.

I'm wanting to install a keyed ignition switch, and I need help. Like Type of switch, what to remove and how to wire up new switch.
I've had some troubles with the ignition switch not starting the first or second times. Then today it left me stranded as truck would not start. Checked the battery cables all were tight. Pulled the caps off of batteries and they were boiling inside with the switches off. Pulled the batteries and checked them and replaced one. Reinstalled and the sparks flew, with switches off. I've checked other treads and will work on the starter. I still want to install a keyed ignition switch. THANKS

Attachments

sp00n

I considered doing this on my A2. I was going to go to Autozone and buy a simple keyed ignition switch with contacts on the back and replace the "big red button" on my dash with it. They could still pull start it, but no matter what you do to prevent theft its still easy to get one of these if given enough time.

coondog

That other A3 had a key switch to start and then turn your lights on and go. Thats what I would like to do. Do away with the power switch and the ignition switch.

Buy a commercial 24 volt constant duty spring loaded solenoid attach it to the injection pump arm where the engine stop used to be connected. Mount it with a bracket solidly to the engine. You will have to make a bracket. Attach that to the power side of a napa heavy equipment key switch, this will give you a way to kill the engine when you turn off the switch. The same setup used on early Mack and Kenworth trucks. Basically like any modern vehicle.

Jones

A determined thief will end up with your stuff even if they have to airlift it off your property. The best you can do is make it so much trouble for the amateurs that they go looking for easier pickin's.

It's a fact that diesels will start without batteries but they won't start without fuel.

I came up with this a while back; first as a safety device to prevent accidental start-ups during engine maintenance. Decided that, with a padlock, it would work as a pretty slick anti-theft device too.
Our own Polverone (Gary Berg) has the forming dies.

I also like the idea of a locking hood so no one can get at the IP to override solenoids and pull cable lockouts. Doesn't need to be a big hasp and padlock (ugly, even when painted OD green). A chain attached to a point on the underside of the hood (maybe a tab held on by the hood handle nuts) that drops through to a fixed point that you can padlock to would work.

Attachments

Last edited:
I considered doing this on my A2. I was going to go to Autozone and buy a simple keyed ignition switch with contacts on the back and replace the "big red button" on my dash with it. They could still pull start it, but no matter what you do to prevent theft its still easy to get one of these if given enough time.
Locks only keep honest people honest. Just slows down a thief.

See I knew some one had a solution already. The KW part number for the kill Solenoid is 27119D410 from the 1975 parts manual. I have one on my M35 to provide an electric kill as my engine stop snapped and I did not have one.

wikallen

I have a keyed switch on my dash that is inline with the main power switch. It is a console key off an industrial machine, so you can turn the key and pull it out. So if I am running around all day with the truck, I can just turn on the switch and put the key in my pocket. When I am done for the day, I just turn the key switch back off.

My key is over in some factory holes by the glove box. This way if someone was really determined to screw with my truck, they might miss the fact the electric is keyed way over on that side.

coondog

OK we are making progress, but. In Gringeltaube's photos, Can I use the existing M35A3 wires? The ignition switch wires are numbered (74, 74A, 117, and 118 also where do they attatch to new switch? Also, any way to also remove the power switch and use its wires ( 27, 27-400, 11, 11) I start electrical school in the fall, but can't wait till then.

Last edited:

GrantG

OK we are making progress, but. In Gringeltaube's photos, Can I use the existing M35A3 wires? The ignition switch wires are numbered (74, 74A, 117, and 118 also where do they attatch to new switch? Also, any way to also remove the power switch and use its wires ( 27, 27-400, 11, 11) I start electrical school in the fall, but can't wait till then.

Coondog,

Have you completed your project of replacing the powerswitch and ignition switch with a keyed starter switch? If so, can you please provide a pic of how you did it along with some details?

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks