• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap

dieseler

I've done some searching and was just curious if anyone has actually swapped a DT466 into their truck. My multifuel is on it's last leg and I can't find a replacement close by, but I keep coming across DT466's. I was thinking about 175 to 195hp non aftercooled 466 would make a good replacement plus have a little more power. Any thoughts on this. It doesn't look like there are any rebuild kits for the multifuel and I know parts are plentiful and cheaper on the 466.

dozer1

Not to discourage you from doing the detroit swap or exploring other options too, but there are sleeve and piston sets available as well as all gaskets. I didnt see a "rebuild kit" put together the little bit I looked but Its all there if you wanted to rebuild. I would sure replace the rod bolts in a multi if I were rebuilding one. We have heard of too many ventilated blocks with that engine. Got a hunch those bolts have been stretched and loosened a few times.
I would add this. If you find a good takeout that you can trust for some reason, even if it is far away and needs to be freighted to you, That would probably be the cheapest and easiest (2 of my favorite factors) way to go.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

I have good engines in PA that i am scrapping because there is no demand for them. You should be able to find a good multifuel some where for low dollars.

dieseler

Where did you find the sleeve and piston kits at? I found a few multis around, it's just that by the time I pay for it and shipping, the dt466 is way cheaper.

dozer1

Even though the piston and rings are in the pic, that may only be the sleeve for that money. Hmmmmm if you can put that DT466 in there, that may be a good answer.