• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Happiness iz INSTANT oil pressure

dmetalmiki

Ok so I have my other trucks fitted with engine oil pre pressure pumps. BUT I have a post op knee and other age related things. (tripping & falling off the wrecker just to mention one!) and I was reducing my stock..well I will AFTER this newly obtained deuce!!??. So I cant believe the delay in the oil pressure delay on start up..scary..damaging..so.I do NOT relish climbing under struggling and faffing to fit another pre oiler setup. HA! "lets do it the (an) easier way. So gents for those who just drive to shows and fear pulling the sump / lack of tools n' experience. Here..(at last!) is the guide on how to fit multifuel engines with a pre-pressuriser In 2 UNDER hours. minimum fuss tooling & labour.

a/ obtain a 24 volt oil pump. b/. drain sump & replace sump plug with a fitting (iether , your choice, I used the front sump for more flow. ) c/ remove & drill oil filter can (I used the first in line) & braise or mig in a fitting. then re-fit it. d/ Mount pump as short piped as poss. (I used the chassis rail nice snug fit.) e/ fit made up pipes. f/. wire up pump to cab switch. (and / or Via a 24volt solenoid. (prevents arcing if its a rather h.d. pump)). g/. refill engine with oil, and mebb'e prime the NEW PUMP & circuit. ( I did this in assembling). Run the pump chuckling with self satisfied glee..relish INSTANT oil pressure. I am well satisfied with the ease and time taken on this fit. It suited my present medic. capabilities.

I will be fitting the M45 with the same kit. The cost total (2nd hand pump £20)
piping and fittings £60. Only came to £80. cheaper than an engine repair/replacement.

Oil changes simply require the pipe end nut undoing.

For those deeming it necesary , fabricate a neat sump gaurd / shield under.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__NGAkGTio8[/media]

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Lazy oil guage

The pressure rises to 15psi. in under 15 seconds. The (typical!) lec'i guage stays & waits. We are going to fit capillary oil and temprature guages tomorrow. here's the missed pic (from "the adventure begins" post) of the exellent additional item .

Attachments

armytruck63

I would be a little worried about that hose hanging out of the bottom of the oil pan. Less of a worry with highway driving, but a piece of road debris could still knock it off.

I wonder if there is a banjo fitting that would help raise the hose up and out of the way.

You certainly achieved quick oil pressure build up.

oddshot

Run the pump chuckling with self satisfied glee..relish INSTANT oil pressure.
"Instant" oil pressure does possess some qualities over 2 to 3 seconds to oil pressure.

ANY length of time that a crank spins in a bearing with out oil pressure is WAY too much.

Although I fear you will take some heat from people having loyalties to other systems, THIS is a VERY interesting idea.

VERY interesting!!

I suppose cost should be a consideration.

A typical spin on replacement system, offering improved time to Oil Pressure costs about $200 ... without oil filters.

If "INSTANT OIL PRESSURE" could be had for less than that number, I should think this would be a hot steaming deal!

For the right number ... I could see this under the hood of my truck.

I'll have to do a little digging into pump costs here in the states.

Thank you very much for this post!

oddshot

dmetalmiki

well spotted

Yes the comment goes (way) back to flying days when "swinging to prime the prop" just another common forces expression, and the cost of doing my M62 and REO was LOWER as I used old oil pumps formally used to pump hydraulic oil from barrel to tank! got a pair of them for £5.! at a car boot. One point people. I forgot to mention. FIT A ONE WAY / NON RETURN VALVE on the OUTLET OF THE PUMP.( or inlet to the source). yes that comment was correct a MUCH tighter sump hugging profile can be had with a compact bend. 90 deg abrupt. and the pipe could come from the REAR drain. (well out of the way of any impact.) off road. MIne is for road only use. (shows). As mentioned in the post, for me, this was a quick cheap and easy way deu entirely to physical impairment post opp. all the trucks show between 15 and 30 psi BEFORE hitting the (U guessed it! T..)
I knew the system was well primed deu to the pump "labour" (experience). and I will be fitting capillary gauges to this truck same as ALL my others.

DON'T 4 get a one way valve, or you'l have NO pressure (hardly!) after start up. A simple stop tap could also be fitted easily in the line in the unlikely event the one way fails.

abh3

Bought a Dodge Cummins pickup new in '91 and added a 'Preluber' (I think that was the brand) that did the same thing, I added a small oil filter to the rig for peace of mind. It ran for a bit when turning on the key and for a bit after turning off the engine. I don't recall when it quit working but the truck now has 300k on it and runs great, original turbo even!

The turbo cool down function might be a good thing w/ multis, a timer on a button could do it. Just shut down and hit the button, no more extended idling...

It might be possible to do the same thing with a good sized hydraulic accumulator of the right pressure and a solenoid valve, fewer moving parts, etc...

hdmax

Mine is that quick when it is already warm from being run just a couple minutes earlier.
The air buzzer did not sound, so I am guessing the engine was warm, and the oil had not drained back. Just a thought!

mikey

"Instant" oil pressure does possess some qualities over 2 to 3 seconds to oil pressure.

ANY length of time that a crank spins in a bearing with out oil pressure is WAY too much.

Although I fear you will take some heat from people having loyalties to other systems, THIS is a VERY interesting idea.

VERY interesting!!

I suppose cost should be a consideration.

A typical spin on replacement system, offering improved time to Oil Pressure costs about $200 ... without oil filters.

If "INSTANT OIL PRESSURE" could be had for less than that number, I should think this would be a hot steaming deal!

For the right number ... I could see this under the hood of my truck.

I'll have to do a little digging into pump costs here in the states.

Thank you very much for this post!

oddshot
You never want to discourage members from trying new innovative ideas because for each one that goes nowhere there is one that helps the community as a whole...

that being said, if the price for this system was even in the area of the spin on filters, id still go with the spin ons... with the spin on kits you have the added benefit of faster filter change, cheaper filters, more filters to choose from including those with anti drainback valves, no hose which can be damaged coming from your oil pan just to name a few...

OP's idea is great, but it would have to be in the area of $100 to make it worthwhile IMHO... otherwise, spin on's it is!

Flyingvan911

The pre-oiler sounds like a nice set up. I just put a set of spin on adapters on my deuce and get oil pressure within 5 seconds of start up. I have been curious about a prelube for my deuce. With the pre-oiler running, you can run your multifuel backwards to impress your friends!!!