• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have coolant leaking into the crank case some how

m1garand_man

I have coolant leaking into the crank case some how on my m1009. Its not the head gasket like I thought since I replaced them and had the heads rebuilt. This is really frustrating because it was a lot of work and money.

Basically here is what was happening before and again now.

So at first I noticed a rear main seal leak that started for no apparent reason. There had never even been a dark spot back there. It later progressed to the point of making 3-4" dia puddles after even short trips around town. I later discovered that the truck was going through coolant really fast and there were no leaks apparent. When some moisture appeared in the intake manifold I realized that it must be leaking into the crank case some how and pressurizing it to the point of forcing oil out the rear main. This suspicion was confirmed when I pulled apart the heads and discovered a lot of sludge in the oil fill tube and the CDR system.

Well I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads rebuilt and it’s doing it again.

I'm not sure where else it could be leaking from. I don’t think there could be a crack in the water jacket since the casting in that area is so thick and I've never been hard on the truck. I've been driving the thing for 20,000 miles over the last two years so I think I would have had some sort of other indicators of a problem ahead of time.

The only other thing I can think of is that the oil cooler in the radiator is leaking. It is a new (18 month old) radiator. It is a composite radiator that I got from radiators.com. I'm not sure but it’s the only other thing I can think of.

I just though that the oil pressure in the cooler would be higher than the coolant pressure and I would be having oil back up into the cooling system (there was some oil in the coolant when I changed it but not as much as I would have expected if this were the issue) Instead it seems like the coolant is ending up in the oil and visa versa.

Any ideas? I'm I on to something? Is there something I overlooked?

hre513

Doesn't sound good. I would defiantly rule out the oil cooler by bypassing it, or you can take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it. Also could be your timing chain cover, water pump and bolts. Did you replace the radiator before you redid your heads?

Last edited:

m1garand_man

Doesn't sound good. I would defiantly rule out the oil cooler by bypassing it. Also could be your timing chain cover, water pump and bolts. Did you replace the radiator before you redid your heads?
Well it took me 50 miles of driving to get the problem to reoccur today. Would bypassing the oil cooler be a good idea with that amount of driving? Also I would have to reflush the oil again to get all the new sludge out and hopefully all the moisture comes out with it or else I may get false results.

My other question since you brought up the timing cover and water pump. Do those bolts go all the way into the water jacket? How often do leaks developed there? Even if the bolts did go into the water jacket there would still need to be a gap between the jacket and the block wall for oil and coolant to cross contaminate. Dose such a gap exist in the 6.2l?

Also I replaced the radiator 18 months ago.

hre513

Well it took me 50 miles of driving to get the problem to reoccur today. Would bypassing the oil cooler be a good idea with that amount of driving? Also I would have to reflush the oil again to get all the new sludge out and hopefully all the moisture comes out with it or else I may get false results.

My other question since you brought up the timing cover and water pump. Do those bolts go all the way into the water jacket? How often do leaks developed there? Even if the bolts did go into the water jacket there would still need to be a gap between the jacket and the block wall for oil and coolant to cross contaminate. Dose such a gap exist in the 6.2l?

Also I replaced the radiator 18 months ago.
I believe from the last time I had the water pump off, the water pump bolts on the driver's side go into the coolant jacket, and the coolant passage goes through the timing cover into the water pump. Its possible for them to leak into the oil pan. I take it that your leak appeared in between the time you changed your radiator and before you redid your heads? I added in my original post, you can take your radiator to a radiator shop and they should be able to pressure check the oil cooler. Did you have your heads pressure checked and/or checked for cracks? If those check out.... the only other thing I could think of is a cracked block.

m1garand_man

I believe from the last time I had the water pump off, the water pump bolts on the driver's side go into the coolant jacket, and the coolant passage goes through the timing cover into the water pump. Its possible for them to leak into the oil pan. I take it that your leak appeared in between the time you changed your radiator and before you redid your heads? I added in my original post, you can take your radiator to a radiator shop and they should be able to pressure check the oil cooler. Did you have your heads pressure checked and/or checked for cracks? If those check out.... the only other thing I could think of is a cracked block.
I changed the radiator 18months ago and the rear main leak appeared 4 weeks ago. The Coolant leak was found 3 weeks ago.

The heads were pressure checked and checked for cracks by both the shop and myself. Needless to say they passed. I could have the radiator checked but for the price of the check I could have an all metal radiator substituted for the current composite one using my warranty from the company I purchased it from.

I'm afraid that I may have a cracked block. Good thing an engine swap is no harder than a head gasket replacement. Too bad I'll have to spend another $900-$1000. :-(

ODdave

sounds like a timing cover gasket to me........done a few that have had internal and external leaks. People put silicone on them , thats a no-no.

m1garand_man

sounds like a timing cover gasket to me........done a few that have had internal and external leaks. People put silicone on them , thats a no-no.
It dosnt seem like there is any gasket in there but I could be wrong. I think that this engine hasnt been messed with much since it left the MFG. Could the factory put silicone on it? The truck was made in September 1985

ODdave

there are 2 gaskets in there that can leak coolant into the oil. 1 between the block and aluminum housing and 1 between the aluminum housing and the steel cover. i have seen factory gaskets fail as well.

ryan77

If it takes 50 miles to start leaking im leaning to crack in block!!! Did you pressure check the coolant system???? Is the deck on the block warped did you check that when the heads were off???

m1garand_man

What would happen if I used bar's leaks liquid copper to seal whatever leak I have in the engine. At least until I have the money, energy and time to do an engine swap. Do you think it will be safe for the engine? Do you think the stuff will actually seal the leak as it is advertised?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks