• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a Deuce in Arizona

AR MOG GEDDON

After the fact, I did a quick search and didn't find much about this in AZ. Anyway, last month I finally got around to registering my deuce. I went to the closest MVD, in Show Low AZ, and visited with one of the cheerful agents to register my truck. The first thing she asked was what the GVW was so I told her 26,000 lbs. I don’t even remember the amount, but it was over $400.00
“I don’t have that much” was my reply.
“Then reduce the GVW” She said.
So we kept reducing the GVW till I got it below $200.00 @ 14,000 lbs.
After I got home I realized that it had been registered as a commercial vehicle, and after speaking with my brother who operates commercial vehicles for a living, I quickly decided that I did not want it commercial. There's too many horror stories about how the state is trying to generate revenue by performing more spot checks on commercial vehicles, therefore finding more violations and issuing more fines.
So on my next day off, two weeks later; I went to the Holbrook MVD in hopes to sort things out. I printed out several of the AZ statutes that supported that a vehicle over 25 years old did not have to be commercial. When I got there they told me the same thing as the Show Low office, that anything bigger than a 1 ton truck had to be commercial. Even after showing them the print-outs that I brought, they would not budge.
They had me wait while they researched it, and helped some others. Then after about an hour, I got called back. Turns out that if a vehicle is 25 years old or more, not used for the transport of commerce, and registered as a “Historic Vehicle” it is exempt from commercial status, and weight restrictions.
I think that’s what I tried to say in the first place. Needless to say, I paid an additional $30.00, and registered it as a historic vehicle, and got a refund of $170.00 from my previous registration.

Doc Bingo

Good Question ... I have my M1009 with Purple Heart Plates bcz It worked out better for me ... I didnt want to pay the Historic Insurance and be limited to driving a certain amount each year thru my insurance company (USAA). The downfall was waiting in line at the DMV with my DD 214 to show proof of Purple Heart (3 hours) and the $25.00 charge for the plate. Then each year I have to emission the truck ($18.00). But stock the M1009 passes with flying colors. (6.3 on there scale of allowed emissions - 20 is the highest)

That was my work around. Good Luck !!!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But does having it listed as historic have restrictions on how
often it can be driven?
Not in Arizona.

My Deuce and 5 ton both have historic plates. I did historic plates on the deuce because the lady told me that it was that or commercial plates due to GVW. I know someone with car plates on deuces. I think policy depends on who you get that day.

Historic Plates are the way to go on anything bigger than a pickup. CDL territory vehicles (Not a deuce) require no CDL in AZ if it has historic plates and is not used for commerce.

Doc Bingo said:
Good Question ... I have my M1009 with Purple Heart Plates bcz It worked out better for me ... I didnt want to pay the Historic Insurance and be limited to driving a certain amount each year thru my insurance company (USAA). The downfall was waiting in line at the DMV with my DD 214 to show proof of Purple Heart (3 hours) and the $25.00 charge for the plate. Then each year I have to emission the truck ($18.00). But stock the M1009 passes with flying colors. (6.3 on there scale of allowed emissions - 20 is the highest)

That was my work around. Good Luck !!!
There is probably not too much point to getting collectible car insurance on a CUCV unless you wanted to pay less. All 3 of my vehicles require emissions in Arizona (post '66 and I'm in Maricopa county) but I don't get emissions tests on any of them. The deuce and 5 ton are exempt because I have collector car insurance on them and I get a director's certificate exemption on the CUCV because the higher GVW of the 1028 requires a different test - The "snap test" sounds like a "break my engine" test.

You could probably get a director's certificate on the 1009, but the lower GVW diesel test is much easier.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

After the run around on my first Deuce I got a hold of a DMV manager and she knew what needed to be done.
I know pay a total of about $23 a year for a historic plate and that is covering $10 a year for the historic plate.
You can also buy a 5 year tag now for a historic vehicles.
Do not let them talk you into a commercial plate due to the GVW.
Just my 2cents

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

After the run around on my first Deuce I got a hold of a DMV manager and she knew what needed to be done.
I know pay a total of about $23 a year for a historic plate and that is covering $10 a year for the historic plate.
You can also buy a 5 year tag now for a historic vehicles.
Do not let them talk you into a commercial plate due to the GVW.
Just my 2cents
Would like to know the details on that. I have a historic plate, and it's commercial (because of weight) but private use. I pay over $200

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't had time to study, but does that mean that I would have to get dif insurance? From what I know if I go w/ some kind of "collectible" insurance I would have restrictions . . . can't have that B-)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't had time to study, but does that mean that I would have to get dif insurance? From what I know if I go w/ some kind of "collectible" insurance I would have restrictions . . . can't have that B-)
Having historic license plates does not mean you have to have collector car insurance. But collector car insurance does remove the emissions requirement in Maricopa county and Tucson. I live in Maricopa county and my trucks are post 1966, so I would normally have to pass an emissions test, but having collector car insurance (which I think the law/state defines as insurance that has limited mileage stipulations) removes that requirement.

Another reason to go with collector car insurance might be that it is considerably cheaper for you. I initially had insurance through J.C. Taylor and it was only like $69/year for full coverage. There were many restrictions (like pulling trailers, going offroad, etc) that I did not like and I changed to a different insurance company.

Outside of Maricopa county and Tucson, there is no emissions testing for anything made before 1968, so if you have pre 68' truck or don't live in Maricopa county or Tucson, there is probably not too much reason to get collector car insurance unless its cheaper and you can live with whatever restrictions they have. I have collector car insurance on my deuce and 5 ton because of both of these reasons. It is less expensive for me and it allows me to be emissions exempt.

---

Historic plates simply separate the vehicle from the commercial category. The GVW is marked as 000000 and you pay no weight fees. This is perhaps unnecessary on a deuce if you can get some other type of plate, but it could be less expensive. The caveat is that the vehicle has to be over 25 years old. (1986 now) It is good on a 5 ton as they all have GVWs over 26000 lbs, pushing them into the CDL requirement. Part of the law that establishes the CDL in Arizona describes the various exemptions and one of those is a vehicle that has historic license plates and is not used for commerce.

Your mileage may vary, I'm not a lawyer, etc. But this has worked well for me so far.

Last edited:

ODw/envy

Thanks for the good posts. This process is way too complicated.

I am planning on using my '69 M35A2 as a truck but not for commerce (yet). I currently have State Farm. Same split as my other vehicles but they require commercial insurance because of weight/axle count ect. The cost is $469 biannually. According to them it is an '85 Pingauzer, I'm working on that. It does not effect the cost though.

I was under the impression that the emissions testing is on a rolling 45 year schedule. So '68 this year, '69 next. How do guys register F450-550 truck. Some are SRW and roughly the same GVWR/GCWR as a deuce. For that matter the GCWR w/ a goose neck on my F250 is 20,000#. As long as you are under 26K what is the difference?

Progressive said NO. Allstate agent said no military vehicles. I tried to explain that it is no longer an MV, but to no avail.

I had hoped to register it as I did the F250. From what I read here, that will not be possible. Suggestions on insurance and registration would be greatly appreciated.

OD

AR MOG GEDDON

I went with Hagerty colector car ins. When seting up the policy I was able to choose the number of miles I plan to drive, 3500 in my case. That gives me a little over 65 miles a week. You do have to have a place to store it, like a barn, pole barn, garage, ect. And they did want photos of it in the storeage facility. I set the replacement value at $6500. I also had to provide the insureance cover page for my other vehicles, and I had to show that I have other vehicles to use as my primary vehicles.

Those are the cons, but the pros are that it only costs $148.00 a year, I have full coverage, it will be less to add my other "Colector Cars".

And free towing for 10 mile radiusrofl

My other insureance co wanted $900.00 a year to insure :cookoo:

shootiniron

I too went with Hagerty for my trucks.Great folks and full coverage for cheap.I registered my trucks and plated them as Farm Vehicles.Way cheaper.Thats when I lived in AZ.Now here in Utah it will be different,probably go with the Historic Vehicle plates if possible.Not sure if the M35A3 w/w I just got from GL will qualify for that status.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too went with Hagerty for my trucks.Great folks and full coverage for cheap.I registered my trucks and plated them as Farm Vehicles.Way cheaper.Thats when I lived in AZ.Now here in Utah it will be different,probably go with the Historic Vehicle plates if possible.Not sure if the M35A3 w/w I just got from GL will qualify for that status.
I just registered my A3 here in AZ and they would not register it as Historic Vehicle, needs to be 25 years old.

TJP

Sorry to hear that. Did you have any problems registering your M35A2? I have to get my M35A2 registered soon.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks