• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector tip coking

5 Micron sock filter into a bucket. Then into a 55 gal drum. Then pumped through a 10 micron fuel filter and then a water blocker (will not let water pass). The pickup in the drum is 2" off the bottom. The truck has 6 micron filters.

Micah 4:1 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD's house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And peoples shall flow to it.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 Micron sock filter into a bucket. Then into a 55 gal drum. Then pumped through a 10 micron fuel filter and then a water blocker (will not let water pass). The pickup in the drum is 2" off the bottom. The truck has 6 micron filters.
Is there a reason why you pass the oil though a 5 micron before the 10 micron filter? I would think you would get better life out of your filters if you switched the order of those two unless you have another reason for doing it in that order with your particular set up.

Yes the 5 micron sock filters are real inexpensive. The oil that gets dumped through it is hot as it has just come from an oil change we have done at the shop so it goes right through. The filter on the drum should never plug but will catch any thing that may fall in the bucket or flake of the drum.

Daniel 9:4 And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments,

Attachments

a-donof2

I just got done with a engine rebuild on a 2009 f-350SD with a 6.4L diesel, before I reinstalled the injectors I had to clean and replace the o-rings. After comparing the tips on my 6.4L injectors they looked just like the ones in the pictures you posted. The engine ran just fine it just had a stuck lifter in it. So long story short, new or old, diesel or WMO the tips all get dirty and coked up.

Here is an update.

Since installing the new injectors I have had no more problems. Even went back to driving through town instead of the freeway as it a lot shorter.

No more missing, No more engine knocks at idle.

Col 3:1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Add some gasoline to the mix, also load up about 10K lbs in the bed and take to for a hard drive up some hills.

I'm totally serious.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add some gasoline to the mix, also load up about 10K lbs in the bed and take to for a hard drive up some hills.

I'm totally serious.
I've had good luck with kerosene also. im not saying that to sound like im shooting down putting gasoline in the mix, i have done that too. i believe kerosene had a higher flash point than diesel so thats why i put it in to thin out WMO vs. diesel. who knows, all the multis seem to have their own personality and their own diet of choice.... i have mine down pretty good :beer:

bill2444

I too was worried about coking with using wvo as fuel. After around 5000 miles of wvo thru the motor I took a peak at one injector. It didn't look new but not as bad as yours. My daily drive is about 30 min. each way. Motor comes up to temp good ( have a piece of cardboard in front now for colder weather) motor seems to run better when at or above 180 degrees.
And once in awhile (usually when running late for work) I run the wee out of her.

Just my experiences so far.

Loco_Hosa

Mobile Auto, I cannot wait to see your truck in person. I love what your doing and someday I may need a second deuce to do the same thing to. No joke, much respect.

On the same idea as spraying water in the intake, you may consider rigging up a water injection system. These are usually used to reduce the EGTs, but have the side effect of cleaning. Heath is working on a brilliant inexpensive setup. (Still on the bench for now though)

This would give you a small measured amount throughout all your driving, and therefore these problems would never show themselves again. :)

Hope this is helpful!

135gmc

The easiest way to start might be to take it for a drive on the freeway to get it up to full temperature. After doing this a couple of times, then take another look at the injectors. If they're getting better, keep on driving freeway -- if they are just as bad, then its time to try some carb cleaner. It might take some soaking time, so it might be worth looking for a gallon of carb cleaner instead of spray cans.

mikew

You're not running it hard enough.

I don't recall which TM it's in, but it stated that the official method to de-coke a Deuce was to load it to capacity and run it for 100 miles at full power. AKA an "Italian Tune Up".

I'll see if I can find it again.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have noticed it helps when i let my deuce warm up for 10-15 minutes before i hit the road... i think it allows for hotter combustion temps and burns more completely. i know the TM says a 5 min warm up for the turbo, but the extra time warming up at 1000 RPM i think helps. seems to with me anyway.:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks