• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a1 vs a2?

Varyag

The 427 had reliability issues from what I have heard. The transmission had a different shift pattern. I can't tell you much on the gearing other then the plate I have on my wall from one shows a top speed of 60 rather then 56.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LDS427 did suffer from reliability issues. Those that ran, ran well! Those that didn't, well they failed. The A1 was not an exclusive truck to the sprag. Gassers (unless changed) had them and a good number of A2s had them. Air shifts were intigrated into production trucks around 1969 but that's not to say later trucks didn't get some. Deuces had 2 transmissions (not including the A3 stuff) from production. The Spicer 3052 which has a 1 to 1 final ratio and the 3053A which has overdrive. The 2 A1 trucks I've been close to both had he same overdrive as my A2s had. Again, only God knows what was factory for each truck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transmission is the same. Gassers had a different shift pattern(3052 vs 3053A). The transfer case is usually different, sprag vs air shift. Almost all A1's were updated with A2 parts even if the data plate still says A1.

hwcurtice

So, in other words, in some cases, there isn't any real difference other than the number? There really isn't a 'Standard a1 or a Standard a2?

Hit or miss? Some may be super upgraded, some may be bone stock from which ever factory they came from...

hmmmm Dart board time, right?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, in other words, in some cases, there isn't any real difference other than the number? There really isn't a 'Standard a1 or a Standard a2?QUOTE]

I can only think of about 10 or so that have the 427. You're probably getting an A2 with A1 data plates.

Katahdin

Rebuilt sprags were going into A2 trucks at least 20 years after the A2 was introduced, I'd say just the engine would be positively different based on what I've learned about my truck and reading the older TMs.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, the A1 was the 427 and had the overdrive transmission. The A2 is the 465. The gasser has the 1:1 transmission with the NORMAL shift pattern not the reversed 4/5.
Best I recall all A1's were converted gassers, not sure they ever built an A1. A2's were the gold standard and made that way. Transfer case in not an issue, air shifts were later due to problems with the sprag units. (To light for the size of truck.)