• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone install A/C like this yet?

Mohawk Dave

Does anyone know, or can find, what the BTU and CFM rating is for the civi stock setup? The OPs posted link states 15000 BTU and 290 CFM, and i was wondering if that's close to the stock output, or half? or ????

Thanks,

Dave

epartsman

OK I found this post from DARKSERRA. The brackets that came with the Nastalgia CUCV kit were shipped from another company! So maybe Nastalgia does not make a CUCV kit anymore but with there WORK TRUCK kit and these brackets it should be a straight forward (as can be) install. Heres the post.

Okay, I pulled the box out with the a/c pulley. The kit is from Component Parts, 3100 Chesser Boyer Rd, Fort Worth Tx 76111. Kit # is 5255 86-87 Chevy Blazer 6.2L 2 Alt. The kit has some basic instructions (mainly some grainy pictures), 3 large brackets, bolts and small spacers, a single-belt pulley that fits inside the crankshaft pulley along with a large round spacer. If anyone wants, I can post some pictures of the kit.
Please post pics. Thanks!

allenhillview

Air Conditioning

A few pics on my A/C build. Just started project will be back with more.

Attachments

allenhillview

Got to get those oil lines out for a new 24v electric dual fans.

Also will add oil cooler with thermo bypass to keep oil warm in winter.

Those fittings are not to be had so I'm keeping all oem oil stuff to put back if ever need comes.

Keith_J

Another option would be under the seat. There is a good sized depression there, ducts could be routed to the B-pillars where adjustable registers would aim flow as desired.

IMHO, if you have a stock heater with defrost, you shouldn't need a unitized heat+cool system. Yes, the unitized systems dehumidify the defrost air which helps dry interior fogging but an add-on AC will dry the interior air nearly as fast.

Now if they made a 24 volt DC motor driven AC system, it would work great with 100 ampere charging system. You can do a lot of cooling with a 2 kW electric motor.

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm. Anybody tried a roof-mount RV type AC?

I know, it would look pretty tacky, but not as bad as the window-mount units!

The biggest problem would be finding one that runs on DC only...

Or how about one of those window mount swamp coolers like they had back in the 40s and 50s? :D

Not much good here in Virginia, but you guys in the southwest could get some benefit out of them.

Last edited:

Keith_J

I found a motor which should work. 70 ampere 24 volt, should put out 2 kW of mechanical power. Now to find a Sanden compressor without electric clutch, then use a Lovejoy coupling, bolt the two together and install in the back of my M1031.

Instead of a clutch, it will have a solenoid like the Doghead modification, NAPA 7018601. Being direct drive, it will be pretty efficient.

Now to find an evaporator that will fit behind/under the seat.

hunderliggur

I am going to try a "free Standing" external ducted 10,000 BTU heat pump (900 watts) behind the center console (12w:14d:28h), ducted to the floor for exhaust. 2750 watt inverter 24volts. When not running the AC I have a mobile AC generator to run my camping trailer. Should get to the test install this weekend, all the parts are in. I can take the AC unit out in the off season or when I need supplemental cooling somewhere else.

Just last monday i wish i had a/c in my 1028.i was jumping it off with our 4x4 kia sorento and it has the a/c that will freeze ya and i didnt want to get back out of it cause its so hot here and yesterday my 3 year old girl was sweating up a storm just goen to town and back.If these units work ill be installing one.fat lady sings

Keith_J

I looked at a portable AC unit, the main problem is size. Only a twin hose will work, drawing fresh air from outside and ducting the heated air out. That is another problem.

The brackets and belt nightmare is why I thought up the 24 VDC motor powered one. The charging system was specified for high powered radio gear, it should do fine for powering the AC. The motor was only $140.

allenhillview

Just to bring this A/C thread back to life a little. My Vintage system finally arrived and two days into the install. Compressor bracket has been on for a year now. Worked through some ideas for louvers so as not to upset volt meter , black-out switch location, and or course I'm not moving those gauges. Condenser is in, dryer-accumulator, some hard lines, working on firewall now its got to come clean. Updates later on next week.

Attachments

allenhillview

I did a Vintage system not the other one and I went to Manufacture on that bracket , they are in Fort Worth Tx. I've had it on about a year now before the install of the rest of the kit, the other vender gets there bracket from him as well.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks