• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV swing out tire carrier on M1009

jdeoliveira74

I wanted opinions from persons more knowledgeable than I ;) as to whether or not the swing out spare tire carriers from a HMMWV could be used on a M1009 and still use the tailgate:?:
i asked the same question... some one suggested that we use a m1008 rear bumper and we should be able to bolt it up andstill use the tail gate just dont know if the bumper will fit and look right

Smokingman

I should have my new mount finished by this weekend.I will post pictures when it is done.The base I started with was a 1991 Chevy blazer rear tire carrier.Not a perfect solution,but that rear cargo space is needed for camping.

Ghost2012

I think the OPs idea was a way to safely and securely mount a spare tire that can be lowered manually. A HMMWV wheel with 36" tire weighs about 165 pound IIRC. I don't want to have to pull that off a lifted truck...

mr.travo

I too am interested in what someone fabs up. I dropped the tailgate and looked in the jam on the right and noticed some OEM holes there. I don't know, but could that be used to support and swing out spare tire rack? I am interested in doing this to achieve more bed room.

readyman

nates4x4 in Michigan fabbed one up for me, $.99 shipping for about 100lbs of jerry can/spare tire carrier! It's similar to his Jeep carriers but made for a CUCV. No pics, have not mounted it yet.

I too am interested in what someone fabs up. I dropped the tailgate and looked in the jam on the right and noticed some OEM holes there. I don't know, but could that be used to support and swing out spare tire rack? I am interested in doing this to achieve more bed room.

readyman

How much for the carrier from Nates? Pics would be great.
My CUCV is still in the 'gutted' stage. :(
On a CJ. Kinda looks like this only twice as wide :)
Nates4x4 - Wrangler, CJ Swing-Out Bumper

I had him spread out the latch and swivel to clear the tailgate. My design uses the shackle mounts and uses existing bumper bolts. OEM bumper stays on(so far).
$ is a la carte, bumper, tire mount, jerry can holder, hi-lift mount, shackle mounts, etc.
Around 500 for mine.
don't forget that .99 shipping :)
Found a pic. I'm thinking of maybe adding some mil-spec jerry can holders on the left too, make it more HMMWV-like.

Attachments

Last edited:

762luver

Looks nice, I just got my '09 and am looking at doing the same thing. By the looks in the pic, Nate's bumper piggy backs over the stock bumper. Is this correct?

What are your thoughts on this? Is it any big deal?

Thanks!

readyman

I just set it on the shackle mounts for a quick pic, don't know how I'm going to mount it yet. Nates4x4 will put holes and brackets on 'if' you know what you want... I didn't.
Looks nice, I just got my '09 and am looking at doing the same thing. By the looks in the pic, Nate's bumper piggy backs over the stock bumper. Is this correct?

What are your thoughts on this? Is it any big deal?

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks