• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinion of Continental turbo diesel engines in M35A2?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are ya'lls opinions on the Continental turbo diesel engine in the M35A2? I have a friend who drools over Cummins engines, but not sure about the Connie.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean by Continental turbo diesel? Are you using the name Continental to refer to the type of motor, or are you referring to the company that made the motors? White, Continental and Hercules all were contracted to make the same LD or LDT465-1 D/C motors. I've owned several of each at various times and I've never noticed a difference by manufacturer. I think it is a very good motor...very reliable and tough.

Bruce

Olney, MD
----------

1991 M149A2
1990 M105A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I guess I'm confused. I thought the LDT465s were the multifuel diesels, fitted to most M35s and M35A1s. But some of the M35A2s were fitted with straight diesels, not multifuel. I also thought Cummins made diesels for the military deuces at some point. SOMEONE HELP STRAIGHTEN MY SCREWED UP MIND OUT!

Elwenil

There are many versions of the LD series engines from non-turbo to C & D turbos, multifuel and some I think had the fuel density compensator bypassed by the military to make them straight diesel. I think I am correct on that. The Cummins engines were in 800 series 5 tons, not in the smaller 2.5 tons.

rdixiemiller

The Cummins 250 is found in later 5 ton trucks. The M35 originally used a OA331 REO gas engine. Later models were powered with LDS427 multifuels. Later, the LD 465 (non turbo) was used. Sometime in the early 70"s, turbochargers were added to reduce smoke. Many many of the older trucks went through depot overhauls and got all the latest goodies, so you can find a late '50's Studebaker with LDT 465 engine, air shift T-case, and spring ride seats.
Some of the ANG trucks have had the fuel density compensator bypassed to eliminate the ability to run on any fuel but diesel. These motors are standard multifuels, and re connecting the FDC will get you right back in the "burn any fuel" game.
The Cummins 250 will not fit the deuce, way too long. There have been several members swap in the small Cummins engines used in Dodge trucks. There have been a couple of 3160/3208 V8 cats swapped in as well.
The LDT 465 engine has been built by Hercules, White, and Continental. As far as I know, they are completely identical and interchangeable.
It is a good old motor, but there are not a lot of aftermarket items available. The engine does not seem to respond to normal diesel performance mods due to the hypercycle combustion method. Look in the tech section, download the LDS 465 troubleshooting manual. It gives a good description of the combustion process and shows some good cutaway drawings.

westfolk

A couple of my trucks have on the oil cans a label saying that the compensator was disabled and to use only diesel. How's this for upgrade? My 1952 Reo M109 has...1c turbo, air shift, spring ride, stickers still on the cab, hood, doors from being installed(they're basically brand new). The only 1952 thing about this truck is the dash.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The one thing I have noticed is it seems that most of the multifuels with holes in the block at the #3 cylinder seem to be White's. It could be a coincidence. One truck I bought had a white motor with a spun rod bearing on the #3 cylinder. Anybody else noticed this pattern?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 465's are the neetest thing snice sliced bread IMHO. I only wish they made one that would fit in my pickup truck. Funny thing though. The one i pulled from my M52 with a knocking rod is a white. But it was 4 gallons low on oil when i got it.

westfolk

I have all flavors. Never notice any real difference between them. With one exception I used them all for work. Not that I am out to destroy them, but stuff happens when they're used. My one converted M35A2(now a wanna be M275A2) pulls 40K almost daily. Never any problems. This one has a Herc. 1D.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tractor has the White version and runs like a raped ape. Hope it doesn't go away too soon, I have nothing else to drive. I do have a ventilated block outside. Its a number 3 rod kick too. Need to see if its a White. I know haw this one got windowed though. Seems someone figured out how to start it and did so then pulled the hand throttle all the way out and left.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My junk has the White version too. Seems to run fine, maybe a bit under powered, but I think it's because of the rather large RPM split between gears. Remember, these are 1960 technology. Compare them to most other diesel engines from that timeframe and these are Cadilacs!

jatonka

I have an M35A2 with a hole thru both sides of the block and oil pan at #3 cylinder, will check tomorrow for the make of the engine. We pulled the heads and they are OK, I thought sure the front one would be ruined. John T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks