• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire dolly

bones1

Has anyone here ever made a tire dolly for pulling dual wheel assemblies?. If so please put up some pics or even ideas on what you would build.

RAYZER

I have used a 3'x3' peice of 3/4" plywood with 4 or 5 pieces of 1/2" sced 40 pvc pipe underneath for rollers,this contraption will roll the duel wheel set off and back on with ease!
I think this idea has been around for thousands of years,if the egyptians had military trucks,this is how they would have moved their wheel sets around!:mrgreen:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used a 3'x3' peice of 3/4" plywood with 4 or 5 pieces of 1/2" sced 40 pvc pipe underneath for rollers,this contraption will roll the duel wheel set off and back on with ease!
I think this idea has been around for thousands of years,if the egyptians had military trucks,this is how they would have moved their wheel sets around!:mrgreen:
I like your idea best, I've been doing some brain storming myself for when I have to my bearings. My deuce is parked on gravel so I will have to have two pieces of plywood. I just need to get a sheet of plywood, I've got the pipe. (I'm going to use 3/4" conduit as it's thinner so I don't have to raise the axle as much) I can easily rig up some 4x4's to the plywood to keep the tire from falling over.
So for the price of a sheet of plywood I have my tire dolly, THANKS!! [thumbzup]

TIGERFANS2

Used this method a couple of days ago, slicker that goose poop.
Home Depot:
2'X4' 3/4" plywood
several pieces of 1/2" sched. 40 already cut to 2' long @ $0.97 each (or find a piece or two of STRAIGHT 10' sched. 40........and make your own)

ran mine fore and aft, (the 4' length that is) so the wheels could be chocked on the board and then positioned easier when re-installing.

nopics

and I didn't think to take any whilst doing the job....sigh...

tco3129

I just grease a piece of scrap plywood, slide them off and roll out of the way. Reassembly is reversed.
A little messy but you're gonna get greasy dirty anyhow.2cents

3dAngus

I can see how a pallet jack would work well.

Shipping is just to much on these, but I will be having four of the professional dual wheel dollies at the Ga Rally. Normally about $650 new, for $95 used. They will align up the holes and studs perfectly with ease when putting them back on. Just thought I'd mention it, in case anyone goes and is interested.

big block 88

We found one at the DRMO in Ft. Riley it works great it has rollers where the tires rest so you can rotate them. Problem is we lent it out and it never made it back to the shop. I guess the guy thought he needed it more than us