• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813-A1 dump conversion. Will my idea work?

TheBuggyman

I have a M813 with the 14' ISO bed and I want to convert it to a dump without losing the look it has now. My idea is to use a commercial style dump bed hinge at the rear and a scissor type hoist underneath the ISO bed. This would make the truck appear stock w/the exception of seeing the rear hinge. After bracing all of the key points, I will use the ISO corner blocks and lay them out on the bed and construct a strong box tube frame around them and build up my dump bed from there. This truck will only be used as a dump on our property to haul debris and build our pond.
That's my idea, have a dump, remove it (with the excavator) and have the flatbed (dump flatbed), add the sides and have the truck appear mostly original. My wife does not want me to ruin the look of the truck as it is so this is what I came up with. The hinge and the corner blocks have been ordered so don't try to talk me out of it!
I need any suggestions or ideas to improve on this project.
Now, I have a single output PTO from my Deuce and was wondering if it will work on the fiver. They are both 6 bolt style patterns.[/b]

derby

Not posative,but I don't think your deuce pto will work on your five ton.I belive the deuce pto is on the drivers side and the five ton is on the pass. side.I don't think the drive gear is the same.Sam Winer in OH. has everything you need for pto set up around $495 last I checked.

watch the pto's from winer's. when i bought one last year from them i was told it fit the 5 ton. wrong! the ones they were selling were for the duece's and not compatible with the 5 tonners. i dont think they intentionally sold me unusable parts but it wont work just the same.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I converted an M135 in similar fashion, hauled grain and stone for years with it. The deuce PTO will not fit the five ton. A twin post hoist is much easier to put on, but you lose the stock appearance.

TheBuggyman

Alright, My dump hoist finally came in! The entire kit came complete and matched to my specific requirements. The kit also came with a hinge but I wanted a commercial dump grade hinge so I ordered that in addition. I am going to try to link some pictures from my album to this thread.

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Djfreema said:
Wow thats a nice looking kit. Where did you get it from?
I ordered the entire kit from Shade Equipment in Winchester, VA. If you are not in VA go to www.knapheide.com and get a number for your closest dealer. The really cool thing is that they sent me a whole page of calculations so I could see exactly what capacity I would have at what angle and to see if the hoist would fit where designed. This was especially helpful since an M813 dump conversion isn't exactly a standard fit!

TheBuggyman

rmgill said:
The center hinge doesn't hang down into the axles does it?
Funny thing about that- I did not know this but you can position the hoist either way as long as the pivot points are in the same location as stated in the Knapheide literature. They say that dump angle and capacity is not affected by turning it around. So, the drop down will be close to the parking brake and I may have to modify the crossmember immediately behind the parking brake but it should fit in good fashion. As far as the driveshaft it really should not be close to it and the vertical movement of the driveshaft should be minimal as compared to the axle end.

There are alot of "shoulds" and "mays" in that paragraph, isn't there? :lol:

TheBuggyman

Well, the Deuce PTO will not work on the fiver as ya'll stated. Clark Truck parts traded me PTO's and just charged me a little to add an accessory drive to it for the pump. So now that the PTO is in I figured that it was a waste of a good front output so I bought a winch off of Ebay and will be adding that too......
Besides, they look cool with a winch......
And my wife just shakes her head......

derby

Look's like a great kit.you wouldn't want to post those calculations would you? I will be starting a dump project too, and it might be helpful.

TheBuggyman

derby said:
Look's like a great kit.you wouldn't want to post those calculations would you? I will be starting a dump project too, and it might be helpful.
Well, I just spent the last forty minutes typing up a great reply and got kicked off of the internet! Funny thing is, I work at an AOL tech center and yes, I am at work!

So, I will summarize VERY briefly-

I went with the Knaphoist 1527L conversion hoist on my M813.

Hoist placement will dictate about a 55 to 60 deg dump angle with a capacity of about 14 ton at 50 deg. Capacity increases as dump angle decreases. I want to limit payload to 20k to 25k pounds on the truck and I damn sure better still not have 14 tons in it at 50 degrees!

Call Shade equipment @ 540.667.1600 and ask for a conversion hoist calculation sheet and a 1527L spec sheet or go to www.Knapheide.com to find your local dealer.

Remember- hoist placement is critical for proper dump angle and capacity! Bigger is not always better!

I could try to type everything again but I would still leave stuff out and that one sheet will explain it all better than I can! If you do not mind the writing all over my sheet I could fax it to you along with the 1527L specs.

If you have any questions just ask!

TheBuggyman

I know this has nothing to do with the dump, I got side tracked!

My front bumper is beyond repair, I figured that I would make one out of 3x10x1/4 box tubing. I then had what I thought to be a "logical" epiphany: add a winch as long as you are doing the work! So, got a winch and made the bumper, stay tuned!

Attachments