• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hood weight

bones1

Thanks guys. I am not going to ship one. I am working with a company in Canada
to fit air charged springs/shocks to my Deuce hood. There is a lot more to it than is obvious for them to work properly. So far I have located hinge points now working on spring pressure. It is possible to allow the hood to go over center as designed with some sort of compound arrangement. I am not going over center........will be like a C30 hood opening and staying up by itself. Maybe.

Attachments

hawkeyepoole

Post all the info when you're done. I have the spring/shocks on the trunk of my car and on the hood. It would be nice to that on the deuce and not have to climb the thing to raise the hood!

bones1

"It would be nice to that on the deuce and not have to climb the thing to raise the hood!"
I will try my best to make it work and let you guys know.

Darwin T

i got 49 to 50 without hinges standing up on the bathroom scales. about the same as gringeltaube. sorry it took so long i had church last night.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea.

Are there Any flexing issues at the two mounting points?

What size/weight shocks did you use?

Oh, and what is the orange cylinder on the fire wall (just curious, I have several mounting holes at that location on my truck but what ever was there has been removed. :))

Chevracer87

I like the idea.

Are there Any flexing issues at the two mounting points?

What size/weight shocks did you use?

Oh, and what is the orange cylinder on the fire wall (just curious, I have several mounting holes at that location on my truck but what ever was there has been removed. :))

The orange bottle is for ether

Darwin T

Very Cool. i am in the process of adding an M66 machine gun mount to my M109a3 and the hood will not be able to lean back on the cab afterwards. this is the best solution i have seen.

did you make the mounting points or have them made? what length and pressure shocks did you end up using?

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really sweet work Bones. Great idea for the deuce.

Just one question...are the attachment points at the firewall and hhod welded on or bolted on? (couldn"t tell)

Why not make up kits and sell them?

bones1

Thanks guys. I have been standing in the shop next to my tire lifting my hood up and down till I can't see straight. They pass the test I believe. Every thing is bolted on. It takes some doing and you remove the glove box for easy access on the passenger side. Also on the passenger side you have to move the mounting points inboard a few inches to miss the air cleaner when the hood is closed. The drivers side is a bit trickier, I used a captive insert on the top bracket bolt because it is real tough to get under the dash and reach the top bolt to nut it. It has suprisingly little flex which was one of my concerns but being thin sheet metal it does flex a little,to be expected. About $100.00 cost and the shocks were custom made by a shop in Canada. The brackets came from elevator door spare parts from my company.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks