• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric fuel pump recommendation

CUCV420

Hey everyone. I am looking for a good electrical fuel pump for the ol' CUCV and I was wondering if anyone has had good experiences with certain brands. I've had a few go bad because I'm cheap. No more.

Perhaps a fully contained lift pump and filter assembly to go straight to the IP?

kapnklug

I've been running a Walbro FRB-22 pump for a couple years. It was a little pricey at $120, but has a built-in prefilter, pumps only on demand, and can handle WVO and B100. There's a cheaper version called the FRB-5. It's worked well for me, but you have to watch when you clean the prefilter that you don't lose the o-ring or it will start sucking air.

acesneights1

AFAIK the Walbro FRB5 is discontinued and replaced by a newer model ...I think anyway. For a CUCV A factory lift pump from a 1993 Chevy K3500 6.5TD is the best LP to use as it is designed to work with a DB2. If you put a LP on with to much pressure it could screw with the cold advance.
I personally run an Airdog but it is way unnecessary. I had it laying around.

chief1983

The FR series pumps are still on their website, I think it was the 2000 and 6000 series that they replaced. And I think their output is adjustable to match the lift pump. I mostly want it to simplify other fuel system operations like bleeding and draining, and if I get one at all I want one that will last.

CUCV420

AFAIK the Walbro FRB5 is discontinued and replaced by a newer model ...I think anyway. For a CUCV A factory lift pump from a 1993 Chevy K3500 6.5TD is the best LP to use as it is designed to work with a DB2. If you put a LP on with to much pressure it could screw with the cold advance.
I personally run an Airdog but it is way unnecessary. I had it laying around.
I seriously considered the Airdog brand to replace most of my fuel system, but the 500 dollar system they were selling was a lil' too rich for me.

CUCV420

Where is the FRB-5 cheaper? I can't find it for anything less than $130 shipped. And aside from passing a stricter salt spray test, what makes the -22 better than the -5?

On this page Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more the -22 is actually cheaper for some reason, but still more than the $120 you paid. Was about to spend $130 on the -5 but would love to save anything I can on this.
I got the 22 series off of a boating website for $120.

acesneights1

I seriously considered the Airdog brand to replace most of my fuel system, but the 500 dollar system they were selling was a lil' too rich for me.
I got one for 100$ from Pureflow. I thought the one on my Dodge had failed and it was the ****ty workmanship at Lee's Auto Ranch in Ellington Ct so they let me keep the replacement one they sent for 100$ since there was nothing wrong with my original one other than a horrible install job.

Chaski

Digging up an old thread...

I have come to the conclusion that Carter vane type electric pumps are not a good match with the DB2 injection pump. The previous owner of my rig installed one, and with it's 25+ psi output it was too much for the DB2. So I figured I would install a regulator and plumb the bypass into the return to the tank. Well that Carter flows so much that with the regulator turned down to 14 psi the pressure pushing the excess fuel back in the return was almost 10psi. So the Carter and regulator are getting pulled and I am installing a Walbro FRB22-2

llong66

When I went with an electric pump, I just bought a pump from a 93 I believe diesel van. I placed the pre fiter assembly under the skid plate just in front of the fuel talk on the inside of the frame. It all fit perfect and has worked great so far. I simply wired it through a relay connected to a Hot when when key on circuit in the fuse box is energized. Being as it is designed for a GM diesel there are no pressure issues and when needed, the prefilter change is no issue. Hope this helps!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks