• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lds wastegate turbo on an M35

JasonS

I'v searched the forums but havent' found the answers...

I'd like to put an LDS wastegate turbo on my M35.

Can the starter be reclocked to clear the wastegate?

Will the M35 intake hose fit the LDS turbo inlet?

Will the M35 exhaust fit the LDS turbo? It appears that the LDS turbo outlet flange is a ltttle more rearward than the C or D turbo.

Are there any other issues?

Thanks!

JasonS

Got it in the mail today. It appears much bigger than the C or D turbo; wish I had one to compare with right now.

The inlet is 3.5" anybody know the input size of the C or D? I seem to remember that the intake tube on the deuce necks down at the turbo?

The outlet seems like it is designed to fit a 3.5" exhaust pipe; same size as the deuce.

Looking forward to installing it but it will be several weeks to months...

Attachments

Heath_h49008

Trying to get more boost at low RPMs without going too far on the high end? Or did you just get a good deal on a replacement? I can't wait to hear boost at X RPM reading you get out of her!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like your not in too much hurry. After the Ga rally I will compare the two for ya. I have them around here somewheres.

jwaller

You really don't want any more boost at low rpm's. more at high rpm's would be good. A more efficient turbo would be better.

JasonS

Trying to get more boost at low RPMs without going too far on the high end? Or did you just get a good deal on a replacement? I can't wait to hear boost at X RPM reading you get out of her!
Both. I was the lone bidder at $79 on ebay. It was mis labeled as an LDT turbo.

Sounds like your not in too much hurry. After the Ga rally I will compare the two for ya. I have them around here somewheres.
Between work, school, family, and the fact that my truck is 2 hours away, it is hard to get much done on it. Very much looking forward to your results.

You really don't want any more boost at low rpm's. more at high rpm's would be good. A more efficient turbo would be better.
I don't agree. Ken posted that the increased boost at lower rpms enabled you to lug a bit longer before having to downshift. Clearly, this turbo was a key component in the LDS making more horsepower (at least at lower rpm). I see the EGT creeping up at low rpms and high fuel with a stock LDT/D turbo. I am expecting this to enable me to keep EGT down AND turn the fuel up.

A more efficient turbo would be great but, at what I paid for it, this is too cheap to pass up.

jwaller

at 79 I too would buy it. but don't expect much from it.
lugging these or any diesel motor is not a good idea. 10psi at 1000rpm is not a good thing. you need to keep the multi turning good rpm's to make power and keep it together.

JasonS

Perhaps, "lug" was a poor choice of words.

Do you have first hand experience with this turbo which suggests no improvment over the C/D?

JasonS

I did the swap over the long weekend.

The turbo clears the starter solenoid in its stock position by about 3/8". I am sure that it would be better to clock the starter but there was no apparent heating of the starter (cool to the touch after running down the road)

The LDT oil supply line fits fine. You have to use the wastegate turbo return line.

The stock air filter clears fine.

I used the flared flange from a 6.0 ford power stroke to mate the turbo to the truck exhaust.

I used 3" PVC pipe and rubber adapters to mate the air cleaner to the turbo inlet (both 3.5" OD). Probably not permanent but works fine for now and is cheap and easy.

Can't really make any statements regarding the performance yet. I ended up having to tie up a lot of other loose ends and didn't have time to up the fuel (flame heater, manifold hose, fuel leaks, etc). Better pics to follow.

Attachments

JasonS

Well, I put the D turbo back on. The best that I could get out of the LDS turbo was 8 psi and that was with the FDC bypassed and the temp rising fast. Swapping the D turbo back on with no other changes yielded 13 psi and much lower EGT.

I suspect that the wastegate valve is leaking or the spring is weak or ??? I haven't decided if I will mess with it or not....

Last edited:

JasonS

I found two pieces of the wastegate valve seat in the turbo. Looks like it has been that way for awhile. Going to rebuild it.

big hoss

I know a guy who has the old lds 427 with a turbo which I believe is the same turbo that is on the lds 465 and his only makes 9 psi at WOT

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know a guy who has the old lds 427 with a turbo which I believe is the same turbo that is on the lds 465 and his only makes 9 psi at WOT

No, different turbo yet. Not a C,D, or wastegate. They are supposed to put out a lot of boost on an LDT, not sure about a 427.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
9 psi is max boost at stock fueling rate, you may get close to 15 with fuel turn up, but you will need a pyro. the highest hp lds was 'only' 205, easily obtainable from a ldt.
tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks