• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tools to buy?

yarry23

Hello all,

I am currently bidding on an M109A3 I hope to win in the next few days. In the meantime, I am trying to prepare my tool collection to work on her. I have your average collection of tools a guy in his 30s who is not a mechanic might collect over the years. I worked on my own motorcycles in my 20s, so I have some kit, but most of it is old and hodgepodge.

I am selling a ton of my possessions to raise capital to buy the M109A3, as well as buy the tools necessary to work on her, as well as refit her as an RV. What I am lacking is the actual experience in knowing what are the correct size of tools and the "you gotta have em" essentials.

I am planning on buying a decent 25 to 30 gallon air compressor, so I was thinking some air tools might be decent, such as an impact wrench. Is 3/4" a good size for the Deuce?

Any suggestions on what to buy to kit myself up to do repair, maintenance, and refit would be greatly appreciated.

I am reading the TMs ahead of time as well, trying to gain some book learning before I get the beast.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions guys. Much appreciated!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Heck, most of a deuce can be taken apart with a 9/16 and 1/2 wrench! Plenty of threads on this. I will let someone that knows of one post a link.

SMOKEWAGON66

Id say get you a good torque wrench with a decent range of about 25-250 pound feet, A hub socket ( 3") and one of them geared lug wrenches. Other then that, Ive found so far that most things can be fixed with a decent craftsmen type tool kit. Small wire feed welder might come in handy once in a while too. Aircompressors and impact tools are ALWAYS a plus lol....hope this helps a little.

Hey, nice mug-shot Gimpy lol

yarry23

Awesome, great replies!

So, it sounds like if I get an air compressor my life would be nice, impact wrench is definitely the way to go (especially if you want to swap the hubs and put on super singles, like I want to), and I should make sure I get a 6 point socket set.

Don't know what a geared lug wrench is, so I'll go ask Google. *grin*

3/4" overkill?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good quality 10 ton or heavier extendable bottle jack , 1 1/2" lug socket and 3/4" square socket for cone nut on inside dual.

Speedwoble

Don't know what a geared lug wrench is, so I'll go ask Google. *grin*

3/4" overkill?
Look for a "torque multiplier"

3/4" is not overkill if you are doing hub and wheel work.

Definitely heavy jack stands and a jack, though a bottle jack and assortment of 4x4 lumber will work in a pinch.

A press may be used occasionally, but you may be able to get by with a socket collection and a stout C clamp.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 inch breaker bar. No need to damage your ratchet with ridiculous pipe extensions.

Murphy says: if the bolt does not budge, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

mcmullag

wrench'n

Let's see. You're gonna need a; shop trailer, a M-816 to lift it with, and an instructor.....

... some baling wire, duct tape, vise grip, etc.

Most of the time tinkering on mine is with some open end wrenches like; 1/2", 9/16" and a 3/8" craftsman socket set. sockets small and deep, sizes 7/16" to 3/4". This has come up before, and you will be surprised how most of the work is with little or regular stuff.

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 10ton jacks and jack stands.

Might want to go by HF and pick up a 1" Impact with the socket set. Along with that get you hoses to go from your compressor to a 12 gallon air tank and 1/2 hose and fittings from there to the gun...that should give you enough reserve air and volume (1/2") to run the impact. you can also pick up a gladhand from napa and run it off your trucks air supply...

Oh, and when you say 3/4 wrench, pick up one or two good ones, with REALLY thin sides so you can get to the u-joint bolts and not strip the heads...don't ask me how I know...

dozer1

2 10ton jacks and jack stands.

Might want to go by HF and pick up a 1" Impact with the socket set. Along with that get you hoses to go from your compressor to a 12 gallon air tank and 1/2 hose and fittings from there to the gun...that should give you enough reserve air and volume (1/2") to run the impact. you can also pick up a gladhand from napa and run it off your trucks air supply...

Oh, and when you say 3/4 wrench, pick up one or two good ones, with REALLY thin sides so you can get to the u-joint bolts and not strip the heads...don't ask me how I know...
A 1" impact wrench takes a badazz air supply. What you suggested might work, I dunno, But those monsters are air hogs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks