• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle assembly part numbers

nudewheeler

Howdy Folks -

I am trying to find the part numbers that reference the front and rear axle assemblies in the M1008. Searching for some crated up axles...

Rear axle part number?
Front axle part number?

My M1009 needs some stronger sticks to support the 37s or whatever will the fender after the 4" lift!

Thanks in advance.

And yes, I scanned in the -34p manual and found the part number for every single component within the individual axles, but not a single part number that references the axle as a whole.

Iceman3005

Look on ebay, craigslist, the classified section of steel soldiers, or the gov. liquidation site. I see the axles on any one of the sites all the time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the -34P TM

Rear axle, 15597787 NSN, 2520012079169

Front axle, 14072449

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

There was a guy on the east cost with crated up NOS axles. Dana 60's and 14b
Doesnt help you much in AZ, but they are out there

I'll look for them but it's been a while
Best of luck in your search

nudewheeler

If anyone has leads on axles in the southwest please holler! I have some leads in the shipping industry...

Also, I'll be in FL panhandle for the next two weeks. If anyone knows of crated up gov axles out there, please holler again!

Yeah I'm intending to scan govliquidations fairly frequently here soon.

Thanks for the part numbers doghead.

nudewheeler

Guy in town has a 14 bolt that came from some gov yard. I forgot, but I went over and looked at it to scope it out. He mentioned that a few folks came by and were not interested in it due to it being too narrow for most applications. So, I took a few measurements:

~67.5" stud to stud
40.5" spring perch width
14-15" dia. drum brakes (massive)

Can someone help me identify this with the part number 15595139? This is not the acclaimed m1008 axle from the -34p manual. Nor was this axle listed in the -34p manual.

Anyone have knowledge about this part number? Have any information on measurements? Curious if this will fit under an M1009.

Is this a desired axle for an M1009 14 bolt axle swap?

Cheers

nudewheeler

I did come across this thread before posting my question. I did read it in its entirety, but I still had a few unanswered questions. It is undoubtedly a GM14 bolt of some variant. I am searching for the application uses and dimensions of the 15595139. The seller of this axle here in town quoted many perspective buyers were deterred by its narrow width.

In the quoted thread, "kennyw" claims the 15595139 14 bolt came out of an M1008. "dependable" claims he bought an M1028 with a 15595139 14 bolt in the rear.

I find this a bit interesting, as doghead pointed out in the -34p manual on page 103-1 rear axle assembly 15597787 was used in "all except M1009".

So, I guess I'm still searching for application uses of the 15595139 gm 14 bolt. I am also interested in dimensions of the 15595139 relative to the standard 15597787 14 bolt used in the M1008 and other trucks. Also any other significant differences (brakes?) between the 15595139 and 15597787

I believe the flange to flange width on my 10 bolt in the m1009 is ~63.5". The fellas from OffRoadDesign confirm dropping a 14 bolt from a pickup truck will increase axle width by ~3inches overall. Also, to be weary of van and DRW 14 bolts, they are not desirable for the swap. My brief measurements of the 15595139 lead me to believe this was a standard width 14 bolt, about 67.5" between the inner useable lugs.

Curious if anyone can confirm this and knows what the 15595139 was used in, width dimensions, and if this is a valid candidate to throw under an M1009.

Cheers!

Matt1031

On the rear 14 bolt you want one preferably from a 3/4 ton not a M1008 (1 ton)
1 ton perch spacing (40 1/2") is specifically for the 1 ton frames. The 3/4 ton SRW rears are the same width hub-to-hub as the 1 ton SRW rears, but the 3/4 ton has slightly wider spaced springs (either 42" or 42 1/2" - can't remember exactly).

Anyway.. A FF 14 bolt out of a 73-87 3/4 ton should fit under your Blazer/M1009 with minimal difficulty, because 1/2 tons and 3/4's use the same spring spacing. (U-joints are different, but everything else is pretty much bolt-in) A rear out of a 1 ton will require the perches to be moved (cut perches off and reweld new ones further out). 1 ton still fits, it's just a little extra work to make it fit right.

Going rate for an open 3/4 ton SRW drum brake 14 bolt (junkyard) is about $100-$250 tops. They're very strong, easy to work on, and a dime a dozen as far as rears go.
Detroit Locker will set you back another ~$450 (new)
The only thing "special" about a M1008 14 bolt rear is that Detroit Locker. Most non rock-crawler type people could care less about 4.56's because they are awful for a daily-driver unless you have *huge* tires or an OD trans.
10"5 14b detroit locker is not carrier break specific- uses the original open carrier of whatever series you're putting it in.

For the front:

Prepare for sticker shock, because front 60's are getting expensive. Figure $750 easy for a used 73-87 K30 front, can go up to ~$1200 for a nice rust-free unmolested and complete one. Figure another $500+ in parts to regear to match the 14 bolt and replace bearings/seals/kingpins and whatnot. BTW, If you're looking for a source for D60's on Pirate 4x4 "DHONDAGOD" is the man to talk to.

The lowest (numerical) ratio that is commonly available for *both* the D60 and the 14b is 3.73. If you go with m1008 takeout rears you'll be getting 4.56's. With 4.56's an OD trans, or OD auxillary box is almost a necessity for everyday driving, so budget accordingly for two axle re-gears or a trans swap if you decide to go with a pair of M1008 rears.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks