• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Federal sticker

covert

I went to DMV to title my cucv and they said i needed a pic of the federal tag stating the vehical meet all federal safety requirments for the year it was manufactured. They said they were "CRACKING DOWN" on these mititary vehicals. anyone hear of this? This is in Iowa.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
try showing them this

TYPE: Interpretation-NHTSA
DATE: March 16, 1994
TO: John M. Tolliday -- President, Dayman USA Inc. (Bedford, VA)
TITLE: None
ATTACHMT: Attached to letter dated 8/7/89 from Stephen P. Wood to Clifford Anglewicz (Sec 102); Also attached to letter dated 9/2/93 from John M. Tolliday to John Womack (OCC 9063)
TEXT:
We have received your letter of September 2, 1993, with respect to your wish to import "British Army Ferret Armored Cars." The armaments have been removed. You would be selling these vehicles "on the basis they would only be used for off road purposes." You ask whether the vehicles would be exempt from the Federal motor vehicle safety standards. You have enclosed two photos of the machine.
By way of background, I would like to discuss how military vehicles manufactured in the United States are treated under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, the authority for the Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). The first qu estion to be answered is whether any particular vehicle is a "motor vehicle" as defined by the Safety Act, that is to say, whether it is a vehicle that has been manufactured primarily for use on the public roads. If we conclude that a vehicle is manufac tured primarily for on road use, it is a "motor vehicle," notwithstanding the fact that it may be sold "on the basis they would only be used for off road purposes." We see no way in which a seller can bind a purchaser to such use, and, certainly, such a restriction would not be binding on subsequent owners of the vehicle. As for individual vehicle types, to state the obvious, a tracked motor vehicle such as a tank intended for cross-country off-road terrains is not a "motor vehicle." If a vehicle, suc h as a military bus, has been manufactured primarily for on- road use, it is a "motor vehicle." However, NHTSA excuses vehicles from compliance with the FMVSS if they have been manufactured in accordance with contractual specifications of the armed forc es of the United States (49 CFR 571.7(a)). Furthermore, because the Safety Act does not regulate sales of vehicles to owners subsequent to the original one, the U.S. armed forces may sell military vehicles to the public at the end of their useful milita ry life without having to bring them into conformity with the FMVSS (however, because of safety policy considerations they have not done so with respect to M-151 jeeps and HMMV vehicles).

The importation of used military vehicles manufactured abroad is governed differently. Under the Safety Act, any "motor vehicle," whether new or used, that is imported into the United States must be brought into conformity with all FMVSS that applied at the time of its manufacture. The question that must be answered is whether a Ferret, at the time of importation, would be considered a "motor vehicle." In an interpretation concerning an "armored security vehicle" then being used by the U.S. armed for ces, we informed the manufacturer, Verne Corporation on August 7, 1989, that the vehicle would have to conform to the FMVSS if sold for civilian use. I enclose a copy of that interpretation. We believe that this interpretation applies to the Ferret as well, and, therefore, the vehicle is not exempt from the FMVSS. Because of the
overall configuration of the Ferret with its high approach and departure angles and its suitability for use on rough terrain, the FMVSS that would apply are those that must be met by a "multipurpose passenger vehicle." Assuming you are still interested in importing the Ferret's for resale, the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act requires that the agency determine that the vehicles are capable of conversion to meet the FMVSS, and that the Ferrets be imported by a "re gistered importer." The agency makes determinations upon the basis of a petition by the manufacturer or registered importer (or upon its own volition). A "registered importer" is one whom NHTSA has recognized as capable of converting vehicles to meet t he FMVSS. If you would like further details on eligibility determinations and import procedures, please let us know and we shall be pleased to provide them.

Last edited:
Title 49: Transportation
PART 571—FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS
Subpart A—General
Browse Next

§ 571.7 Applicability.

(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, each standard set forth in subpart B of this part applies according to its terms to all motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment the manufacture of which is completed on or after the effective date of the standard.
(b) [Reserved]
(c) Military vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item of equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications.

Gastrap

This is happening with anything 1970 or newer, as posted here by a freind....http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/76498-resistration-issues-iowa.html

The issue needs to go to the Ombudsman office, I cant do it because I'm not currently affected by this. My freind in town has decided to sell his A3. I have contacted GL several times about selling unlicenseable trucks and they will not reply. The deputy director of IDOT doesn't care about the exemption letter, he's seen it.aua

deuceaid

Banned
Can You take it to a good friend out of state and just license it there? One state cant control what another state does (well, unless its water rights etc,with lots of court time).

TCUCV

I can't understand a single thing the letter is trying to state . . . aua

Government, always trying to make things more difficult than needed

saddamsnightmare

TCUCV.

You don't have to. What the shorter paragraph above quoted is that vehicle built for service in the U.S.Armed forces ONLY have to me the standards and requirements of their construction and purchase contract with Uncle Sam, all Military vehicles are exempt from the NTSA FMVSS standards.:shock:

Merry Christmas!fat lady sings

Tanner

Recall as well that the states can do as they wish when it comes to titling vehicles... the Federal Regs are merely guidelines.

Good luck!

'Tanner'

Tanner

One state cant control what another state does .
That would be an incorrect presumption... you have to get to the bottom of WHY the States are cracking down on civilian MV ownership.

Going through another state, or doing some end-run around the issue only makes things worse. Ever consider listing the similarities/differences between the CUCV & the civilian equivalent K-Series Chevrolet truck & pointing it out to the powers that be?? What are we talking about here - camo paint, bastardized 24-volt electrics, and an odd VIN number??

Last edited:

Tanner

I know its a diff state I had the same issue i showed them the vin on the frame and that worked.
Frame VIN should match one on dash plate - how would this be different? Your VIN should have been a 17-digit letter/number combo with the 5 character position being a 'D'... denoting military 4x4 -

IF your frame number is different from the rivited dash plate or door jamb plate, you might have issues that raise eyebrows at DMV - or if the door jamb data plate is missing -

'Tanner'

Cucvnut

what are you saying who are you talking to? you make no sense im talking about how i showed them the second vin number in place of the federal tag and it worked.

86m1028

I went to DMV to title my cucv and they said i needed a pic of the federal tag stating the vehical meet all federal safety requirments for the year it was manufactured. They said they were "CRACKING DOWN" on these mititary vehicals. anyone hear of this? This is in Iowa.
Take it to a different tax office
Its just a blazer or pickup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks