• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke after glowplug swap

Vet89

Hiho!

I purchased my Delco 60gs a while back and the weather got to 40 degrees and I swapped out the plugs. They were a mix of AC 13s and Wellmans.

I commented to the wife, that Mr. Murphy was not around, though I had to stretch to get some of the back plugs out, it all went well. Even grinding the new plugs to the same size was a snap.

I reattached the wires and went to start it up and something in the engine compartment started smoking!!! ack. Murphy came back from the store with some beer apparently to watch the fun. The **** thing didnt start any better either.

Looking at the photo here (Credit to Micheal of Steel Solders) whatever is behind that black bracket, behind the airfilter, started to smoke... and kept on smoking while the truck started.

I have not done the 24v to 12v bypass (still trying to find the how to guide on the site, but will eventually). I had read, it was not necessary to do the bypass with the Delco 60g plugs. Was that wrong?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Attachments

dstang97

What relay are you running? and get pictures of what is actually smoked of smoking...... We need some more info.

Vet89

10-4!

I went out after a bit and started it again, figuring Murphy may have gone to someone elses house.. it started right away - no smoke. Turned it off, let it sit, and started again, but smoking - photos coming (exceuse to get beer from the garage too!)!aua

epitts

The black item behind the filter is the resistor bank. The resistor bank steps the power down from 24 to 12 volts. It could have some of the leafs and other crap sitting on your upper fire wall. Try taking the cover off and blow all the crap out.

TGP (IL)

Those are the GP resistors behind the plate.
A little smoke after first try with new GP is not uncommon especially if none or few of the original GP worked.
What happens is grease/oil film builds up on the resistor pack, and when you load them for the first time,the heat burns off the crud.
You should be fine once it settles down.
I'm not a big fan of modifying factory designs, but there are Two here that needs to be done!
One "DogHead starter relay mod.
Two, connect the GP relay to the 12v junction on the firewall and remove the resistors.
Tom

Vet89

It is the two cyndrilical tubes that appear to be white (from time or wear) behind the metal cover, which sits behind the airfilter. The red wire goes between them. (I am still sifting through the TMs to figure out what this is actually called besides the !@#%!@!.

I also double checked, all the gp wires are attached to the GPs. I had to really pull the ratchet to get the old ones out, but re-installed the new ones till they were snug and tight, but didn't crank down on them.

Attachments

Zero_cool

Mine did that when i installed new 60gs.
It was just crud on the resiter tho.
Smelled like old steam pipes when you turn them on for the first time in the winter.
No saying thats your problem but its something to consider.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The white wire in the picture you posted, is what needs to be added, to convert the supply to 12v. Of couse, remove your original red wire(can just tape over the end or compleetly remove it).

Vet89

Those are the GP resistors behind the plate.
A little smoke after first try with new GP is not uncommon especially if none or few of the original GP worked.
What happens is grease/oil film builds up on the resistor pack, and when you load them for the first time,the heat burns off the crud.
You should be fine once it settles down.
I'm not a big fan of modifying factory designs, but there are Two here that needs to be done!
One "DogHead starter relay mod.
Two, connect the GP relay to the 12v junction on the firewall and remove the resistors.
Tom
Thank you sir. The GP resistors have never smoked before - I have owned the truck for about 6 months and had the day off today to mess with it.

Doghead relay is my mission Monday - provided the GP resistors don't set the engine on fire.

I am looking for the guide to do the connection jobby with the GP relay to the 12 volt junction on the firewall and remove the resitors.

I can take apart and put back together just about any kind of gun, I should have spent more time in the motorpool in those days long ago!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted twice yesterday, how to convert to 12v. also just told you here.

Vet89

The white wire in the picture you posted, is what needs to be added, to convert the supply to 12v. Of couse, remove your original red wire(can just tape over the end or compleetly remove it).
Thank you much!

It is not smoking now (or at the moment) - here is a picture of the beastie and the relay.

12v, Doghead Starter Mod, and I have been reading about the Behr paint, I want to return this to the colors it was when I drove them.

Ty all!

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From you picture posted above. You can do this a few different ways. A new wire and no cuts or just cut and add a ring terminal. You can remove any unused wires and resistors or just leave them there. all wires and terminals referenced are live all the time, so either be carefully or disconnect all your battery terminals when doing this.

To convert/resupply the GP relay with 12 volts, simply cut the red wire at the black X, then add a ring terminal to the wire and connect it to the stud that the red arrow points to.

That's it!

If you do not cut the existing red wire and reuse it as I just explained, then it needs to be removed from the GP relay, and a new wire added in where the blue line is.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that's correct!

and do yourself a favor and clean those terminals while they are off.

Vet89

Excellent, thank you. I hope to be able to pass that on to others and save you a few keystrokes down the line. The picture with my masterful paint shop script is free for use if it helps down the line to any member.

:beer:

Vet89

Just an update - where it would be painful and time consuming to start my truck, rolling in after Christmas dinner, I could not resist seeing if it would start. :beer: it did! so nice to have new glow plugs and the truck start like it was summertime.

Thank you again all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks