• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspected my Harmonic Damper today...

Asmoday

I was underneath the truck this morning and decided to take a really good look at the harmonic damper. I noticed that I have some cracking of the rubber visible on the back side with a couple of very small thin pieces missing. On the front I don't see any bulging of the rubber anywhere whatsoever. I noticed instead...that the rubber has actually shrunk...basically recessed back between the inner and outer parts of the damper.

I was under the impression that as long as the rubber is not swelling the damper should be relatively OK. I see only a very very slight wobble when running.

I was getting ready to install a new damper in a few weeks but now I'm wondering if I should park the truck until I can do the work?

I need to drive the truck if possible but I don't want it to grenade on me. Should I be worried?

Thanks...

allenhillview

Just finished damper Fri am 7 hours took time to look at it, alot! on the way in and out, job went fine .Did the cheap one, Doorman ! My thoughts were like yours so I did it. Any small amount of the wobble I saw is gone.

Last edited:

Asmoday

Ya...I'll be doin' it soon along with a bunch of other things...LOL. I went ahead and took the plunge on a Fluidampr since one of the A&P's raves about them here and I can always reuse it for another build. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes. I have a brand new factory GM damper in a box as well which I will need anyway if I do an engine build.

Gathering up parts now for pulling the front off to do leaks, water pump etc.

I may throw a new timing chain set in there while the cover is off as well.

Waiting on an inpreved water pump from Peninsular which should be in in about a week or two.

allenhillview

Ya...I'll be doin' it soon along with a bunch of other things...LOL. I went ahead and took the plunge on a Fluidampr since one of the A&P's raves about them here and I can always reuse it for another build. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes. I have a brand new factory GM damper in a box as well which I will need anyway if I do an engine build.

Gathering up parts now for pulling the front off to do leaks, water pump etc.

I may throw a new timing chain set in there while the cover is off as well.

Waiting on an inpreved water pump from Peninsular which should be in in about a week or two.
In Aug. I did 18 updates , pumps-water,fuel,oil,power steering, steering gear box,power steering hoses,new old redo on starter wire and connection , by the way I looking for a heat shield mine was missing(starter) anyhow thought I'd say that took me a long time plus did a gauge pack ,all temps, except one pressure,good luck on all yours.By the way what is difference in that water pump you're doing and new one I got (USA made) ? You mentioned Peninsular?

Asmoday

I have not installed the Fluidampr yet but will let you know...:)

Peninsular offers a inproved water pump which they're out of right now. It's actually for their marine engine applications. It has a higher flow rate but not as high as the regular high output model. It is a correcft V drive unit for our application thus spinning the correct direction. You will not run into possible problems running it as you would with the high output model. The high output model is rated at around 130gpm I believe where as the marine high output is rated at around 105. Stock is around 85. If you run the unit that is too high it can cause other problems like blowing out old freezeplugs, causing leaks in weak areas, etc. etc.

For the 130 unit it's recommended that you run a dual thermostat crossover which is far too much of a pain in the ass for me....:)

allenhillview

Many Thanks I just didn't know what they(pump)were. So is there a issue with the stock 85gpm? I'm not having any heating issues, I just added the winter cover due to idle heat for our winter here. I pull stock trailers all the time 3 days a week 4200lb empty 8000lb after loaded on way back but only 55 miles one way. no heat up ,,I take it easy 50 to 53mph. I max out the rpm's at 57 mph(my keep it together max is 3000) stock tires but in the same I need to keep all my torque. By the way my damper is doing fine but I keep look at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks