• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 towing a M1101/1102 trailer?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw the emergence of the HMMWV issue M1101/1102 trailers that are starting to come out now. Would you think that a CUCV M1009 would have the means to tow one around? Now loaded up to the max, mind you, but perhaps as a towed camping trailer or with a light load?

twa@ezdn.net

I have one on my watch list and will be reserching the same question for the next few days.
The curb and gross wt. is close. I pull my M101a1 with no problems but I live in flat country and I am never in a hurry. I have recently purchased a a2 for when I am in your neck of the woods (it has the surge brake) but this still leaves the transmision issue. I will be searching threads on transmission upgrades or replacement for this roll.

3dAngus

Shouldn't "feel" any different than a M101A3 with HMMWV tires.

I can't even feel that behind my pickup.
I wouldn't give it a second guess.

chevyCUCV

I have one on my watch list and will be reserching the same question for the next few days.
The curb and gross wt. is close. I pull my M101a1 with no problems but I live in flat country and I am never in a hurry. I have recently purchased a a2 for when I am in your neck of the woods (it has the surge brake) but this still leaves the transmision issue. I will be searching threads on transmission upgrades or replacement for this roll.
Why not change gear ratio's? Isn't that the problem with towing with a m1009?

truck1

I'd look at a m1101 close up first.I almost bought one until I inspected it first hand.They are LARGE to tow behind a CUCV.They are extremely well built and have surge brakes,but I personally prefer the m101 series to pull behind a cucv and at minimum a 1008 at that with 456's.A 1009 with stock drive train is not beefy enough in my opinion.:beer:

twa@ezdn.net

93.2 inches (237 cm) (from axle center to eye center)

This is for the M1101. I need to put a tape on my 101 and see what it is, this looks long and heavy on the pintle and we know they are not that robust.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I've towed an m101a3 behind my 1009 with no problems, just put cucv wheels on it so it sits level. the empty weight is about the same as a m1101, so that should be fine...

Attachments

mf5129

i have used both a m1031 and a m1009.the brakes on the m1009 are light for this but with common sense i can get by.the m1009 is faster on the highway.but the m1031 is heaver duty and better suited for this size trailer.i think a m101a2 is a better trailer for all around use and cheaper to buy.however they are getting harder to find.

PATRIOT1

Just FYI, I own both the M1101/1102 and the M105A2. The M1101 and M1102 (same trailer, made of aluminum) are 1,000 lbs. lighter than the M105A2, which is all steel. I tow behind my F-150 without even noticing it's there. Hope that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks