• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slaving between cucv and 5 ton

amphi

Yes you can but must be careful and follow the TM

Slave starting the CUCV

If the rear battery is completely shorted:
No voltage will be dropped resulting in the front battery and the entire 12v truck circuit seeing 24v. Not a good thing

If the rear battery is open:
All voltage will be dropped and the front battery and 12v load will see nothing.

Anything in between these two extremes is possible. This is why the TM -10 clearly states:

"If one battery is missing, DO NOT attempt to slave start."

"Wait 3 to 5 minutes after hooking up slave cable to "dead" truck, before attempting to start it. Damage to the truck’s electrical system may result if the truck is started sooner."

This wait time is an attempt to allow the batteries to receive charging current form the source/slave and become somewhat balanced allowing the 12v circuit to see a voltage close to the designed 12 volts.

Be very careful when slave starting the dual voltage CUCV -- follow the TM.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV will easily slave the 5TON. I have done this many times. The 5TON will easily slave the CUCV also. The only trouble i have had is slaving a CUCV with something older with a 25AMP generator. Like a MV from the 50's.

135gmc

It ws common for a shop with a CUCV maintenance truck to slave start M60 tanks with them - they would connect the cable, then let the CUCV charge the batteries in the '60 for a while, and the '60 would usually start. It is possible to connect the old 2-pin connector backward if everything is worn and if you work at it, but the NATO round connector is pretty foolproof.

emr

24 volts is 24 volts know matter how many batts are set up to achieve this. like said above, it is a good idea to let em take for a few first, there are a bazzilion threads on batts in this site, if U have such a question u really should search and read up, any single or multi batt set up , the batts should be pulled and cleaned and charged individually then put back in the oposite places, for years of multi batt trucks and equipment I have found the last batt in line is always the lazy batt, charging batts is like filling a pool, when the first batt is full the other batts will draw her down and the charger / alt/gen will keep charging the first batt, but for this to complete it sure takes lomger than most think, the batt that never gets a full charge sulphates and eventually will never hold a full charge, and shorten the life of all, batts, basic info there is so much more, like u can put a charger on each batt in truck and charge each one if all u have is 2 batt chargers 12 volt and 2 batts in your truck, u can jump with 2 cars one jumper to each batt , more batts more cars to pull up, u can put as many 1.5 amp chargers on one batt as u can fit as long as they do not equal more than 12 volts when u add up there total volts, U can use "one" set of jumper cables to jump a 2 batt set up if both vehicles have 2 batts, and if one vehicle has 4 batts other has 2 u can still do it, but be careful to put them in the right place, all true info, :)

Last edited:

emr

It ws common for a shop with a CUCV maintenance truck to slave start M60 tanks with them - they would connect the cable, then let the CUCV charge the batteries in the '60 for a while, and the '60 would usually start. It is possible to connect the old 2-pin connector backward if everything is worn and if you work at it, but the NATO round connector is pretty foolproof.
The M 60 is a 6 batt set up, and all true, ... 24 volts is 24 volts no matter how many batts are set up to be 24 volts.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with EMR,

Since its winter and I don't drive either one of these trucks much I keep the slave cables hooked up from the 109 to the 1028. I have a 24v trickle charger hooked up to the 109 which Carry's over to the other truck to keep them both toped off and at the ready. I also use a 24v desulfater permanently hooked up to both trucks to keep them fresh.

Attachments