• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting to an Airshift Transfer Case

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Started the conversion from sprag to airshift today.
thanks to clinto's help got good bit of the swap done.
Will try to make this an overkill step by step walk thru of how things went.
1. Remove the passenger bench seat. (This will not be going back as I'll be replacing it with a spring ride seat)
2. Remove the three panels that cover the transmission and transfer case (removing the forward most one may not be necessary, but I am putting in a new speedo cable)
3. Disconnect the transfer shift rod, speedometer cable, and the transfer case shifter.
4. Remover the drive shaft that runs between the transmission and the transfer case.
5. Disconnect the front drive shaft from the transfer case and the rear driveshaft from the intermediate axle.
6. Support the transfer case from above (I used a chain fall attached to the boom on the back of a little farm tractor)
7. Remove the bolts that hold the transfer case in place, and lower to the ground. (kind of hairy as mine wanted to hit the airpack)
8. Drag the t case out from under the truck. (through where the spare goes worked fairly well)
9. Go eat lunch

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just so that no one posts that "this thread is worthless without pics" thingie, I shall now give you some pics.

Sadly, as Joel was too busy telling me what to do, he did not take any pictures on his own.

The worst part is that half of the pics on Joel's thread are of my truck....guess next time, he'll make sure to bring his camera rofl

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
10. Return from your local fine dining establishment(Wendy's)
11. Replace the rear output seal on the transmission that has been spewing gear oil for months.
12. Move the rear drive shaft from the old case to the new. (I also moved the parking brake shoes/pivot as the shoes on the new case were paper thin
13. Drag the case into position under the truck.
14. Raise the case (we used large screwdrivers to locate/guide the mounts together)
15. Bolt the case into place.
16. Reattach the front and rear drive shafts.
17. Replace the shaft between the transmission and the transfer case.
18. Reconnect the parking brake cable.
to be continued.....

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am really, really sore this morning. I am not at all pleased about being reminded I am not 20 anymore.

So did you drive it any? Or just move it out of the way?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I just moved it out of the way. Need to change the oil and sort out the flame heater before the truck really goes anywhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might have been a good time to install that PTO but considering you have the pipeline bed, shouldn't be too difficult later.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny, we were going to install the PTO but were running out of time, it was pitch dark when we installed the new transfer case.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I didn't have the oil line for the pto ready yet and decided I should be a relatively straight forward install later on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost a one day deal, nice. A good idea there, with the 3pt hitch boom! Did you have the spare tire removed to slide it out from under the truck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, with the pipeline bed you will have plenty of access to it. Have you started hanging airlines? Also, when you got the stuff from Matt, did you grab the bulkhead that goes through the firewall? Hope to ship out your tach drive today.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
19. Run the airlines (apparently I left some airlines DOh! a couple of trips to the parts store and some $$ later I was ready to go)
20. Drill some holes in the bottom of the dash & attach the switch
21. Start it up and let it build air pressure.
22. flip the switch and get a satisfying thunk, flip it the other way and get a nice air release :mrgreen:
23. put the floor panels back down
24. top off the gear oil in the transfer case and adjust the parking brake

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
great pics and fun project. I need to get me a tractor...or a crane...or a wrecker....or another duece.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tap into the 28V for the air shift light yet? You will be most happy with it. Was the little link from the sprag case to the tranny linkage anygood? I need one until I can get the airshift in my crane.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I was about to ask about tapping for power :wink: .... the link will start it's journey south on monday or tuesday

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks