• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got the Roof Rack M1009

I found some ads on Craig’s list for racks that would fit a K5.
Met with the guy who owned the most promising one. He had fabricated it himself, and parted with it for a very reasonable price.
It sits on four feet that have four bolts each running through the fiberglass top. The inside has plates that the bolts come through and are secured with washers and nuts. Very straight forward.
I applied a generous amount of silicone around each bolt and under the feet to help prevent leaks.

I have been up on top of it several times to secure the spare tire and some el cheapo offroad lights.
Seems to hold the weight fine.

Also finished wiring the switch panel for the lights. The other switches are for a CB, a Stereo, and a “cup holder style” power inverter.

Attachments

donalloy1

Roof Rack looks ultra clean. Do you have a manufacturers part #? Also like center console. What did you derive that from? Old med kit or something? Please inform. Thanks

K9Vic

So who did you steal the awesome roof rack idea from? I love mine and it really gives these trucks a more assault vehicle look.

Roof Rack looks ultra clean. Do you have a manufacturers part #? Also like center console. What did you derive that from? Old med kit or something? Please inform. Thanks
The guy I picked it up from is a welder by trade. He fabbed it himself, then decided to go with a bikini on his k5. They show up on craigs list from time to time. But this one had feet. Awesome.

The sugpump console is from a surpluss store down here in pomona.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/74086-fabed-center-console-m1009.html

Cheers.

jdeoliveira74

I saw someone on here put a civi console on top of an ammo can to boost it up. I really like having an armwrest on that side. Perfict height.
yeah but thats not cool plus I like to make stuff looking to add some outlets for power and maybe disect an inverter so i can put some real outlets in the truck for laptop and battery chargers. The bigger box would be great!

I hear ya. I'm already wishing I had gone bigger with the inverter. Just worried about heat building up in the box. Didnt want to over complicate things by adding fans & stuff.

Ill run the little one for a wile & see how it goes.

The box really does fit just right.

epitts

My truck had a dent in the same spot as yours does. I went to Harbor freight, they have a glue on dent puller. Just used a longer piece of angle on, worked like a charm. Cost was around 10.00

My truck had a dent in the same spot as yours does. I went to Harbor freight, they have a glue on dent puller. Just used a longer piece of angle on, worked like a charm. Cost was around 10.00
My hunting buddie has a red m1009 (ex fire) and has a dent in the same spot.
He thinks its from someone sitting on the top of the cab.
Must be fairly common.

Thanks for the idea on the puller. Harbor freight is lass than 10 minutes away.

I originally had the spare tire strapped to the top with ratcheting tie downs.
But it still allowed some movement of the tire, and I couldn't live with that.

I bought 5 new BFGs 31x10.50-15 and figured now would be a good time to secure the spare a little better.

SO...
Amazon for a trailer spare tire mount $14.00
spare-tire-mount-4.jpg

And a little welding, some rattle can rust-oleum. and here is the result.
Rack Spare Mount 1.jpgRack Spare Mount 3.jpgphoto.jpg

Much better.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks