• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ahhh that nasty governor adjustment on the MEP-003A

ctfjr

So my genset is now installed and running. I have had it loaded to about 90% of rated load using the house appliances - upper & lower ovens, toaster, ac, etc). Although the voltage barely moves from 0 to the load I applied (maybe a volt) the frequency is another matter. I get almost 3 Hz droop from 0 to 90% load.

So I search through the TM to see how the governor is adjusted and found the knurled knob adjustment under the manifold access door. The problem I have now is I can't move it. . . My fingers alone can't do it and I don't have a tool (90 degree long neeedle nose???) that can get in there and turn it.

I would like to avoid removing the end shroud around the blower. Will an angled long needle nose do the trick? I have even considered moving the tension spring hook but that might be a pretty gross adjustment.

Attached are a few images I shot of my install

I piped 3 #2 thhn wires and 1 #6 in pvc conduit. To make the connection to the genset I drilled a hole in the top of the output voltage box for a sealtite connector. The #6 wire is used for the equipment ground and I had to drill a small hole in the side of the box to get it down to the split bolt grounding lug.

The following pix are of the ground wire install, the overall installation using the flex SS hoses and finally the control panel in operation.

Attachments

coyote62ny

i dont think 3 hertz is a lot of droop from 0 to90 percent load that sounds about normal remember you are dealing with a mechanical govenor not an electrical one. my mep-003a will droop the same amount. i just set it at 62 hertz no load and with the house and my welder going mine is about 80% load i think you were ok before you adjusted it we will see what the others think on the subject . if i remember right from reading the tm you have to remove the blower shroud it adjust the droop. but you can also get it to sensitive and have a hunting problem .

coyote62ny

nice install by the way. did you unbond the neutral to ground connection ? if you are just back feeding your panel like most of us you should unbond the neutral so you dont have 2 places where the neutral is bonded. where i live you have to unbond the neutral at the gen set . i did mine and installed a battery disconect switch between the neutral wire and the ground stud . that way if i want to use the gen set with out having it hooked to the house i can rebond the neutral by just turning the switch . i used a 200 amp battery disconect switch to do this. hope this helps you.

storeman

To turn the knurled nut, use a wide bladed flat tip screw drive and a hammer, Use the screw driver on the teeth of the ratchet, turning the spring up or down on the shaft for adjustment. You don't need to remove the fan cover unless your are resetting low idle and max speed.
Jerry

ctfjr

To turn the knurled nut, use a wide bladed flat tip screw drive and a hammer, Use the screw driver on the teeth of the ratchet, turning the spring up or down on the shaft for adjustment. You don't need to remove the fan cover unless your are resetting low idle and max speed.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

I was trying to get a channellock in there & a long needlenose but there is no room to turn. . . I was too chicken to try tapping on the teeth but now knowing its been done before I can be a hero :smile:

coyote62ny thanks for your comments also. I have the neutral running back through my transfer switch (not switched) right to the neutral bonding in my CT cabinet (I have a 400 amp service). The number 6 equipment ground wire also runs through the transfer switch to the neutral bonding in the CT cabinet.
I'm going to try adjusting the govenor to the point just before it starts to 'hunt' or overshoot.

ETN550

3 Hz is not bad droop at all. I wish they could all be that good.

However, it can always be experimented with. As the droop is tightened eventually instability will settle in, especially at the lighter loads. The machine will begin hunting going up and down up and down, maybe slowly or maybe faster.

I like to set most machines for the least amount of droop with no frequency fluxuation (hunting) at 1/4 load and up steady state, hot running condition.

Be sure to perform adjustments and test in the hot running condition. Droop and stability can be apparent on a tightly adjusted machine that is not fully warmed up. Make sure the linkages are nice and smooth with zero stiction and no play. The springs usually force the play out. However, I have disassembled more than one linkage to chip off the lovely CARC which causes sticking and binding. No CARC on the springs if possible.

Doug

ctfjr

Thanks for the info Doug. Yes, there was the dreaded CARC over everything but I manually worked the linkage & it was pretty smooth. Just as a precaution I sprayed it with WD40.

This was going to be a weekend project but it looks like we won't be available . . . so the weekend after I will spend a little time on it. The reality is I doubt if it will be running over 50% rate more than 10% of the time so the 'practical' droop for me is probably only 1 Hz or so. Its worth a shot to me to try to get it reduced. I may give some thought to an electronic govenor. . .

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having a brain fart,, Can someone guide me to the TM and page# for the proper Governor adjustment procedure. I am having a big swing In HZ under small load 4+ Thank's

Rapracing

Thanks Jerry!

I was trying to get a channellock in there & a long needlenose but there is no room to turn. . . I was too chicken to try tapping on the teeth but now knowing its been done before I can be a hero :smile:

coyote62ny thanks for your comments also. I have the neutral running back through my transfer switch (not switched) right to the neutral bonding in my CT cabinet (I have a 400 amp service). The number 6 equipment ground wire also runs through the transfer switch to the neutral bonding in the CT cabinet.
I'm going to try adjusting the govenor to the point just before it starts to 'hunt' or overshoot.
I believe what coyote62ny was talking about was the neutral bond on the ground lug below the control panel. It should be taken off of the lug. The way he did it was much more elaborate that what I did. I simply removed it and wrapped the connector with good electrical tape and zip tied it out of the way.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I was Piggybacking on an old thread, I guess I should have started another thread?
I am having a brain fart,, Can someone guide me to the TM and page# for the proper Governor adjustment procedure. I am having a big swing In HZ under small load 4+ Thank's