• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Losing Brake Pedal Pressure

DeucesWild11

So I finished the Airpack rebuild and the brakes do work.. Adjusted the rears so they are not dragging anymore. So now I slowly lose the pressure in the brake pedal if let's say I am going down a long hill. Even if I am sitting at a stop sign it slowly goes to the floor. The pedal itself springs back up when I let off the brake but the pressure behind it takes some time to come back up. Based on similar issues others have had my guess is that I now need to rebuild the Master Cylinder. Your thoughts please..

Thanks!!

DeucesWild11

The wheel cylinders are a ? as I have not yet opened up the hubs to take a peek.. I assume they could also probably be due for a rebuild. The M/C rebuild kit is cheap so I think I will just go ahead with that and see how it goes. I do not see any fluid leaking out anywhere.. anymore that is.. I did have a bad brake hose in the front that I replaced along with a few lines that broke when I removed the airpack..

DeucesWild11

I did bleed real well, used Dot 3 (which was in the truck already) and I plan on bleeding at least 1x per year.. Perhaps there is still some air caught in the line somewhere..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are your loosing brake fluid? Does the level go down after several pedal pushes(and leak downs)?

Have you pulled the rubber dust boot off the master cyl, and looked for leakage?

rlwm211

No Fluid loss would indicate an internal leak in the system where the fluid is BYPASSING a seal.

If the air pack was bad, I can assure you the master is equally as bad. I am talking about sludge and corrosion as well as seals that do not hold pressure.

Look for leaks at your wheel cylinders which would show up dripping out of the drum area and onto the rims and the back of the tires.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone put dot 3 in im sure it could screw up seals and other things. I think you might have to bleed your brake system completely and put in dot 5. dot 5 is a synthetic brake fluid and dot 3 is not

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. dot 5 is a synthetic brake fluid and dot 3 is not
It might be less confusing to say DOT 5 is silicone based (actually an organic type of silicone).

It is typically 95% Polydimethylsiloxane.

Other brake fluids are commonly called synthetic.

DeucesWild11

Ok, now back to my issue, just got out from under the truck.. The moron who rebuilt the Airpack didn't tighten the nut enough for the brake sensor.. yeah that's me.. So half the issue fixed.. The pedal does come up rather quickly now so I can pump the brakes again. Now for the other half of the issue. If I press down on the pedal and hold it it slowly goes to the floor which would indicate a leak somewhere but I am not seeing anything dripping out. The M/C looks pretty dry from the outside especially around the boot. The M/C looks "Newish" compared to what the airpack looked like you know rusty vs. green. I would still think it's a possible internal issue in the M/C or a wheel cylinder but there are no leak spots on the wheels or rims. Hmmm..

rlwm211

How rusty was the hydraulic bore of the air pack?

If it was bad, you need to attend to the Master Cylinder. CHances are better than pretty good that it will be as bad, or worse than the Airpack.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DW11, if the airpack and maybe the master cylinder are bad, the wheel cylinders are probably in the same condition. You really need to pull the wheels and hubs and check them. Wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect and repack the wheel bearings too.

Look at the rubber brake lines while you're at it. They are not that expensive to replace.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

DeucesWild11

Broke two lines taking out the Airpack, and one line replacing the front brake hose.. I figure between one and two replacing the M/C

Ray, thanks for the input.. I do plan on a tear down to inspect everything but don't have the time for that at the moment.. Wife's got me doing a Kitchen remodel...I don't drive the truck that often so I am not in a big rush..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, since there is only one tube attached to the MC, I was trying to be funny. I guess you could break the vent line too, that would be more than one. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks