• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 MWO Identification

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My new M923 has five modification work orders (MWOs) listed on the door frame. I've identified all but one, and have downloaded the details of two of them from LOGSA. The remaining two are up on LOGSA, but are distribution codes b/c, so I can't download them. These are the MWOs listed on my truck:

MWO 9-2320-272-20-2: I haven't identified this one yet.

MWO 9-2320-272-20-5: Front lifting pin and shackle kit. Available on LOGSA.

MWO 9-2320-272-20-6: Fuel tank ventilation kit. Available on LOGSA.

MWO 9-2320-272-24-1: Spring brake control valve improvement. On LOGSA, with distribution code B.

MWO 9-2320-272-35-1: ABS upgrade. On LOGSA, with distribution code C.
Do any of y'all know what the -20-2 MWO changed, and/or where I can find the documentation for it?

Is there some way for me to legally get my hands on the documentation for the -24-1 and/or -35-1 MWOs?

Last edited:

runk

Not that it is a "legal" copy, but I googled
"MWO 9-2320-272-24-1: Service brake control valve improvement"
and found several sites that had the .pdf on the first page of results.

Googling
"MWO 9-2320-272-35-1: ABS upgrade"
found a .pdf that tells how to find improperly installed MWOs (on a very familiar site...).

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I have the docs on checking for improperly installed ABS systems from that wonderful site already, and that's definitely on my list of things to inspect on my truck very soon! :beer:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not finding the link for the
MWO 9-2320-272-24-1: Service brake control valve improvement
PDF file.
I have been having a brake problem and this maybe something to check, Could you list a link to the pdf?

Thanks!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Where can you find the list of all mwo for a particular series like the M939's?
I don't know how to find a complete list. I went to LOGSA and entered a publication number of "MWO 9-2320-272" into the search page to find all of the documents whose pub. numbers started that way. That got me a list of all but one of the MWOs listed on my truck, plus some others that aren't applicable to it, and/or just weren't applied.

One little hint: When searching for all of the manuals for a vehicle by a partial TM number, typing in something like "TM 9-2320-272" will only get the manuals with "TM 9" numbers. There are commonly other interesting manuals, too: the lubrication order starts with "LO 9", modification work orders start with "MWO 9", and there's often a transportability guidance starting with "TM 55". There may also be other things like technical bulletins starting with "TB", and even other stuff... I was surprised myself the first time I saw a "SMARPI 9-..." number, even though I've been doing this stuff for years. So, try typing a shorter portion of the number such as "2320-272", and you may get many more useful hits.

For example, if I type in "TM 9-2320-272" in the pub. number field to get M939 series manuals, I get 8 hits. If I type in "2320-272", I get 21 hits. Typing the model number into the title field may or may not produce the same manuals, and may or may not also produce hits for things like radio installation manuals. So if you're digging deep, try searching on the model number in the title field first, and then once you identify the main manual number series for that item, also search on portions of the manual number(s) in the pub. number field.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Pretty fun reseaching all these litte MWO's...LOL. Do you have a depot truck?
I'm not sure what you mean by "depot truck". Mine had an overhaul in 2009 at Red River Army Depot, and it doesn't appear to have been issued since then. It has no unit markings, and it came with the basic issue items in a wooden crate on the passenger's seat (WOOHOO!). Its original date was 1984. So in some ways it's a new truck, and in other ways it has a coat of paint over the old dirt! :) I found signs of tan paint where the new CARC didn't cover fully, or was blocked by a strap or bracket, so maybe it was "over there" before its rebuild? Anyway, I think it's the new star of my collection, and my HMMWV has dropped into second place.

wsucougarx

OK, I've got a RRAD truck as well. I contacted RRAD to inquire about what they actually do to the M923's. RRAD would typically get all the SouthWest Asia truck (M939's in RRAD's case) and they'd go through them. Among other things, they re-CARC'd all the trucks back to 3 color NATO camo, changed out to Hawker's batteries, and installed hardtops in many cases. The trucks are NOT rebuilt at all. They just went through and retested everything. In none of the phases of RRAD are the trucks actually disassembled like you would find in an actual rebuild scenario. Luckily my truck had a bad engine and something wrong with it's tranny and transfer case when it went to RRAD;-). What I got is a newly rebuilt motor (European rebuild tags, newly rebuilt tranny, and newly rebuilt transfer case. The truck has about 2000 miles on her from it's time at RRAD. My deuces have all dropped to last place:oops:.

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Ah, thanks for the info! Well, it's too bad that mine wasn't a full rebuild then. But it sure does look pretty, and it has 4 nice 6TMFs in it. I wish that they had put a hard top on mine. It does have new tires, too.

runk

The the doc I found was actually-
MWO 9-2320-272-24-1: Spring brake control valve improvement
Maybe not the same ?
The google link was-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEOlrfmeG0Xizf4t2G4D-OfkDwhvg&cad=rja

For the bad certificate on LOGSA, that is just because your browser doesn't recognize the .mil certificates. You can safely tell your browser to ignore the error and continue to the site. (Note that ignoring those errors is generally a really bad idea if you are not sure of the site !!)

nf6x

Feral Engineer
You're probably right about it being for the spring brakes. I think the title on LOGSA said something like "S BRAKE CONTROL VALVE...", and I probably mis-guessed the abbreviation.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Now that I've read the -24-1 (spring brake valve) MWO document, I can see that the MWO wasn't actually applied to my truck, despite being listed on the MWO plate. My truck has the unmodified parking brake lever and the original spring brake valve bracket.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The the doc I found was actually-
MWO 9-2320-272-24-1: Spring brake control valve improvement
Maybe not the same ?
The google link was-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEOlrfmeG0Xizf4t2G4D-OfkDwhvg&cad=rja

For the bad certificate on LOGSA, that is just because your browser doesn't recognize the .mil certificates. You can safely tell your browser to ignore the error and continue to the site. (Note that ignoring those errors is generally a really bad idea if you are not sure of the site !!)

Thanks for the info and the post!!!:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks