• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need some help with making a part for a remote brake reservoir project

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All!

Wish I had the right tools to do make this simple part, or even if we had a local machine shop, but there isn't one anywhere close to me.

I know there is a lot of people on here who make parts and such, so I thought I would just make post and see if someone could help me out.

I posted this in classifieds WTB area first, but RON the CLASSIFIEDS BULLY suggested I post in the forum.

I need a very simple adapter made, so that I can connect a brake master cylinder reservoir from a Honda/Acura car. I need to adapt it to fit a 1/2" brass threaded connector which I have adapted to a steel brake line. I'm going use this to make a remote brake fluid reservoir for our Deuce.

I got the idea to use this specific Honda/Acura reservoir from a thread here on SS (here), and I want to use this reservoir because it is a single port, and it has a low fluid float switch in it, which I'm going to connect to a buzzer/light alarm inside the cab.

This should help keep a closer check on fluid levels more often, and much easier to top off when needed. And if the fluid does get low, it might at least give us enough time to stop and see if there is a problem.
Plus if for nothing else, its just a bit of peace of mind knowing there is something in place to at least alert if a possible problem arises. As brakes are pretty important on a 14,000+ pound hunk of iron doing 55mph down the highway :shock:.

Anyway, I'd like the adapter to be made from aluminum, but I'm open to other options if needed.

Adapter Specs Needed:

It needs to be a simple cylinder shape that is 1.70" inches in diameter.
(the diameter is important as this fits inside the reservoir inlet) I used a digital caliber to measure the reservoir port and it measured between 1.67 - 1.70". A band clamp is then used to tighten the reservoir port around this adapter (this is how it is normally mounted on the master cylinder)

It needs to be about 2 inches in height. Then a hole must be drilled through the center all the way through for fluid to travel through. Then this hole must be tapped for 1/2" pipe thread (course thread?) Threads must be at least 1/2" in depth.

Below I tried to make a diagram for a visual reference, thought it might help to see it.

I added a photo of my brass piece which has to screw into this adapter. I also added a photo of my reservoir port with the measurement sizes. You can see the exact same reservoir completed and mounted in this thread here which is where I got the idea from.

I know there are other after-market remote reservoir's that could be used, but I already have this one, and I already have the bracket and other such made and mounted, as I tried to make an adapter from PVC, but was unable to get the correct size, and therefore couldn't tighten down the band clamp tight enough to keep it from leaking.

Please post or PM me if you can help me out with this,
Thank You for Your Time!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would like to see a GENERIC remote reservoir that has a LOW LEVEL sensor , it just seems to me that with a single circut brake system, I would want as MUCH info on the system as soon as possible, I would rather KNOW the my BRAKE FLUID was going down long before I stepped on the brakes to avoid running over soccor mom

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Exactly my thinking! Since the Deuce is a Single Circuit brake system, any additional warning to a potential problem would be a good thing.

As far as generic reservoirs that have a low level float switch, they may exist, but I didn't find one. However I didn't do a lot of searching at the time, and just picked up this one for a Honda/Acura at the local junk yard, and it would work perfect with just this simple adapter.

If I can't get this adapter made, I may have to try to find a generic with a low level switch like you mentioned, as I need to get this done asap.

Thanks for
reply!

Last edited:

OLDCHEV4X4

Just a couple friendly corrections. Dial caliper is not spelled caliber. A digital caliper does not have a dial.
Good luck in your quest.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see a GENERIC remote reservoir that has a LOW LEVEL sensor , it just seems to me that with a single circut brake system, I would want as MUCH info on the system as soon as possible, I would rather KNOW the my BRAKE FLUID was going down long before I stepped on the brakes to avoid running over soccor mom
Mecury or merc cruser uses one on there bravo drives that has sensor and mounts with two screws or bolts on a flush service.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Seems overly complicated your plan..You wish to keep it simple..so did we, all we did was mount a "daihastu" master cylender res. Up near the top of the radiator (opposite the filler cap) and used the same ( M.M.) piping down and through to the vent on top of the deuce M/cyl. There we had brazed a common to obtain A/f nut which fits (over) the daihatsu Piping and into the top of the deuce M/Cyl. there were plenty of car scrapyard types to choose from. Wish we could post a picture but the trucks are now located in thier "new Home" 200 miles away. On reflection in the old gallery I'm sure there is a picture of one such master cyl top up fitted to the M45 fire truck there somewhere.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am sure someone on here can help you out, but here's another option for you.

Yep, thats the place where I downloaded the software to make the diagram in the Photo. But they wanted a whole bunch of $$ for just a 1 piece order. They are more geared toward mass production orders, or at least orders of 20+ pieces.

Thanks for the reply though!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I was at another hardware store today, picking up other things for the house. While I was there, I thought I would look through their plumbing stuff and see if maybe they carried something that would work. So I browsed over to that section, and they had a few things that seemed close. So I had the reservoir in the car, went out got it came back in, tried a few to see if they would fit, even though I really didn't expect them too since I had tried about everything at the other store.

But to my surprise, I did find One piece that has come closer than anything to date.
So in the morning, I'm going try it and see if it will fit AND not leak.

If this doesn't work, machinist75 sent me a PM today and has apparently already made a part. He's going to send me a photo, and we'll go from there.

In any case, I'll have this fixed and mounted in a few days! [thumbzup]
Once I do, I'll take some photos and post an Update.

Now, if I can just get the truck to turn-over after putting all the switches and such back into the dash... Its not the batteries as they are full charge, so I must have a wire switched or something not plugged in... :doh:
Guess I'll have to figure that out tomorrow too.

Thanks All!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks