• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 only engaging in reverse

seano11

Had the m813 out today and going through some grease pits the 6x6 would only work in reverse it would really dig but in forwards it wouldn't do a dam thing Would this have anything to do with my air cylinder on my transfer case leaking ?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
could be, do you here a "clink" when the sprag shifts from forward to reverse, when the xcase is in forward, do you have air leaking

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Poppet valves need to be rebuilt on the trans. Take the trans tunnel off and it will be right in front of you. SECO in east GA had the rubber "pads" when I rebuilt one in my M51A2.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no it is the shift cyl. the air is comimg from the reverse poppet valve exhaust

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
very good chance, the cyl. is leaking, there is enough pressure to drop out of reverse because reverse helpes it to drop out, it goes to nutreal, but the seal is bypassing going into forward as it has to push into forward

No matter what the shift cyl. needs new seals

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 5 ton that did the same thing a while ago, I did a lot of searching and solved my problem with a hint I read: drain the t-case and fill it with diesel and maybe a little tranny fluid and drive it 30 miles or so and drain and re-fill with gear oil. It cleans a lot of gunk out and cured my issue.

seano11

I had a 5 ton that did the same thing a while ago, I did a lot of searching and solved my problem with a hint I read: drain the t-case and fill it with diesel and maybe a little tranny fluid and drive it 30 miles or so and drain and re-fill with gear oil. It cleans a lot of gunk out and cured my issue.
I would do that but I just filled the dam thing with fresh oil so 145 for a new air cyclinder isn't that bad

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
just rebild it, replace the two seals, while at it replace the control rod seal on the case

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
white owl or any major mv parts vendor, give them the p/n from the tm, the poppet valves can be rebuilt, there are a few GOOD threads on it, Floridian-? had a good thread

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
need to look in the tm, I would pull it apart, you should see the bad seals, find the numbers, at the same time find the case seal

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

seano11

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks