• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have three Humvees and a couple questions

kycop

Hi, Im new here thought i'd post and start getting info etc. I recently recieved three humvees. I have 2 1987 M998's Soft tops and 1 2009 M1097. I recieved these for my Police Department through government program. I have the armor one, It is a training armor one, has ac etc. pretty nice with only 4,000 miles. The problem. It has very very small windows on the doors. The small square ones that stick out. I have looked and looked trying to find the NSN for some of the newer (better armor) doors with larger windows. Does anyone here know any nsn's to find the doors. I can get these of course at no cost. But...I cannot find them wthout nsns.
I am also wanting to hook up lights etc. The generator is a dual volt 24 and 12. Is there a way to run a wire from the 12 volt side, to hae 12volt in the humvee.
I am going to paint the armor one up dull or maybe a gloss black as soon as i can get doors I can see out of.

richark998

Here's a simple diagram for the safest and easiest way to get 12v from the 24v system. Just tap off the series jumper between two of the batteries. You must use this jumper tap so you can use the common ground on the other side of that battery. This battery will discharge more than the other when you use it without the engine running, but will easilly recharge when running again. As the charge in the other battery goes to full, the resistance in that battery increases, automatically transferring more charge to the other one. Use a meter to make sure you are doing things right as you proceed.

Attachments

phil2968

Not quite correct. The alternator sees the batteries has one resistive load. Once the battery with the most charge reaches it's charge limit the less charged battery will never get to full charge. It will lead to battery failure eventually.
This has been covered many times on this site. Multiple battery systems must always be charged and discharged has a group.

richark998

That would be true if the batteries were in parallel and you were trying to charge several at a time from one charger or alternator, but these batteries are in series, just as the six individual cells within the batteries are in series. One 2 volt cell within one battery will not determine the charge of the battery.

nk14zp

Here's a simple diagram for the safest and easiest way to get 12v from the 24v system. Just tap off the series jumper between two of the batteries. You must use this jumper tap so you can use the common ground on the other side of that battery. This battery will discharge more than the other when you use it without the engine running, but will easilly recharge when running again. As the charge in the other battery goes to full, the resistance in that battery increases, automatically transferring more charge to the other one. Use a meter to make sure you are doing things right as you proceed.
Don't tap that way!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That would be true if the batteries were in parallel and you were trying to charge several at a time from one charger or alternator, but these batteries are in series, just as the six individual cells within the batteries are in series. One 2 volt cell within one battery will not determine the charge of the battery.
Ahh but you're not tapping individual cells in the battery either. Also a bad cell can most certainly cause a battery to fail. Tapping in the way you mentioned might be fine for something small like a cell phone charger. But certainly not a heavy load like a fully lit emergency vehicle.

Best means of doing this is either a battery isolator with a secondary battery. A second alternator for 12v with a battery. Or a dual output alternator feeding the same battery.

Sephirothq

Does it matter that these vechiles (or at least the one) have a dual voltage alternator? Wouldn't the dual voltage alternator charge the 12v battery at a different rate then the 24 volt as the load varries?

LanceRobson

If you have a dual voltage alternator you need to check to see what the ampacity is of each voltage. Some are equal. Some favor the 12 volt side and some favor the 24 volt side. All dual voltage alternators are NOT the same, even GI ones.

For example the basic 12 Volt, 24 volt cranking alternator in the M915 series trucks is 12/24 volt, 85/15 Amps.

Lance

richark998

On one of my M38A1 Jeeps (24v) I installed a 12v starter equipped with solenoid with the splitter arrangement because the mechanical linkage on the original starter was becoming a nuisance. Plus I dont wear a size 16 shoe to reach the gas pedal and starter. Just has a button now. Works good and within 30 miles of driving both batteries are up to the same voltage. Just saying.

Augi

With the dual voltage alternator, the 12v tap connects to the positive side of the low battery. This keeps the low battery charged if it were to drain at a different rate from the top one. They are actually powering the trans computer just this way, by 'center tapping' the two batteries. For this particular vehicle it will be perfectly fine and is actually the intended practice to do this.

Don't do it with the two m998s since they are 24v only alternators. You WILL kill the low battery in those.

Augi

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2009 M1097 Should have an 12/24 Alt all ready in it if has 4l80E trans and dual volt system. Bottom Batt is 12 Volt Top is 24 Volt. Post # 2 is correct.
As for armor Doors that is it for that level of protection you will half to get custom parts made thought an Up armor Co. I pm Some more INFO I Work in AMG all The time.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, Im new here thought i'd post and start getting info etc. I recently recieved three humvees. I have 2 1987 M998's Soft tops and 1 2009 M1097. I recieved these for my Police Department through government program. I have the armor one, It is a training armor one, has ac etc. pretty nice with only 4,000 miles. The problem. It has very very small windows on the doors. The small square ones that stick out. I have looked and looked trying to find the NSN for some of the newer (better armor) doors with larger windows. Does anyone here know any nsn's to find the doors. I can get these of course at no cost. But...I cannot find them wthout nsns.
I am also wanting to hook up lights etc. The generator is a dual volt 24 and 12. Is there a way to run a wire from the 12 volt side, to hae 12volt in the humvee.
I am going to paint the armor one up dull or maybe a gloss black as soon as i can get doors I can see out of.
Need Photos for the doors Armor Variant and whole unit please.

sgtmike3

Doors

Add-on-Armor kit doors

supplemental armor doors, front only

As for the current doors, the windows will come out with the removalof 4 screws. You can replace the current inserts with something more usable. If you are able to find replacements switching themout should be relatively easy.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Not sure if this is the right spot for the question but it is the closest thread relating to my question. I'm going to install a new 6.5 NA engine into my HMMWV. It has a 200Amp Alternator with a dual voltage regulator.
I'm planning on deriving the power for my 12Volt Accessories from the 12 volt output. My question is will I be able to get 12volt power out of the dual voltage regulator when the truck is off or does the engine always have to be running to get a 12 volt output. If so can I have the 12 volt output from the dual voltage regulator charge a seperate battery to provide 12 volt power when the engine is off.

Not sure if that makes sence.
Thanks
GW

Augi

The engine must be running for the alternator to provide power. The batteries will always provide power though. Typically the battery power is run through the ignition switch or a relay tied to the ignition switch so the batteries aren't drained when the engine is off.

Augi

BLK HMMWV

Thanks Augi
Thats what I thought but figured I would ask.
You think I could add a third Battery for 12volt applications when the engine is off and then once running it will recharge it using the 14volt output of regulator?
BH

Augi

You don't need a third battery. If you run a wire to the positive lug of the lower battery (the same place the 12v tap from the regulator will be connected) you can bypass the ignition switch.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks