• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv Seat high back mod, springer base

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
install

Ok, this time I decided to mount a set in my cargo duce with what comes in the 2 seat kit.
1 First thing was to pull the stock bench & springer seat.
2 next remove the seat from the stock springer base
3 drill 4 holes in the commanders mounting plate to bolt to springer base
4 bolt commanders seat to base
5 use one capture nut on passengers side, drill 3 more holes, bolt in and done with pass side

Drivers side
1 cut off 4 inches off of one of the drivers seat mounting rail to clear park brake
2 bolt both mounting rails to high back pedestal then position to where the front rail is just behind the master cyl door.
3 Mark where the 2 front capture nuts are, drill front rail and bolt in. next on the rear rail drill a hole on either side of the seat and bolt in.

You are done! It took me about 2 hours for the install from start to finish. The kit I got did not come with nuts that fit the bolts on the bottom of the commanders seat.

I guess with all the room between the seats now I will have to come up with a console.​

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you like the New base compared to the old springer base? Is the new one adjustable for weight?

I will be doing this same mode this summer but I have access to 2 with new bases. Based on you placing the older base on the passenger side, I assume the new base rides better then the older springer base?

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mike929 I like the new Hmmwv base better, No weight adjustment just up and down, fore and aft.

To me it seems to ride, adjust, spring and just plain feel better than the stock springer. I am 5 11 and 240 and to me a better seat.

I was wanting to upgrade to a 3 point seat belt but can not come up with a good anchor point for the upper/shoulder mount.

davesgmc

OK, MY BAD. aSWAYZE WAS OVER LAST NIGHT DROPPING A DEUCE (TRUCK),,,opps sorry all caps.....but anyhow, I was showing him my trick new seats and thought, wow, davey hasent cut the wire tie off this one yet. He said he had, so i sat in it..now i wasunder the assumption that it was a boingy boingy spring ride pase,,but its not, it just adjusts up and down and back and forth. sooo,,,I will take it off its base, put it on my other original spring ride base and then have 2 identical spring ride seats with really comfy seats and abcks on them, no big deal. now what to do with the really trick hmwwv base?

Pablo66

Paul I just have the front seat set kit so didn't even think of that. At the present I am just using the lap belt that comes with the duce, as this was just this was just a temp fit test. I got the set to put into a M275 that is going to need a complete rebuild and that is a long way off as I have just started to get it striped down for blasting an a engine transplant as the motor is locked up.

I have a question for you... I looked at all of my seats, and I have 2 with longer bolts, and 1 with shorter... I assumed that the longer was for the passenger side because it was in the box with the drivers seat, but now I'm wondering if the shorter bolts are for the front passenger seat.... in your 2 seat kit, how long are the bolts under the passenger seat? are the bolts in front a little longer than the ones in the rear? like about 1/2" long vs 3/4" long? I don't have instructions, so I'm still tinkering, and I haven't had much time to really tear into it yet....

Thanks!
Paul

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Paul it will be awhile before I can answer your question, my duce is over at Daves and will not have it till this week end.

Dave you can give the base back to me I will use it in the the M275 as it had a box and a bench.

davesgmc

yeah dave, no problem, was gonna ask if you wanted it to put under the passenger side seat anyhow.

pablo, the passenger seat i had had studs that were sticking out of the bottom about a little over an inch long, i know because i used 1 inch square tube to attach it. the drivers seat i had i took off the up and down and front to back fancy base and it is identical but haqs much shorter studs sticking out of the base. in that case i used unistrut pices to bolt it to and welded those to the springer bases. now i need to paint my sprin ger bases, the insdie of my cab, put it all back together and take it out to liberty memorial this weekend.

xmiltm998

I'm picking up a full set of these next weekend and look forward to upgrading from my original seats. I'm 6'4 so I'm hoping it will give me some more legroom.

coyotegray

I wanted to keep my bench seat for now so one of its legs would need to mount through a rail. I decided on the rear rail and just adjusted the seat forward. This gave me a little more room near the access panel to the master cylinder and I didn't need any in the back and your not going to adjust the seat forward much anyway.. It will still move forward about 3" but I'll always keep it all the way back..

I used the pop rivets included and the two rear mount points for the original seat.

I did lots of trial fitting before drilling..

For me the seat feels much better then the springer I had.

ETA - Now I just need to get something setup for seat belts. The straps to the frame are too short to reach this seats frame..

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I spent a couple of hours over the weekend driving and for me it is a big improvement over the stock seat.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with MMWMULES, the seats fit your azz and support the lower back way batter over the stock seats. Good thread..![thumbzup][thumbzup]

davesgmc

My drivers seat was nice and comfy this past weeknd. It is mounted on an original springer base. I will make a trip to D-Day park in a few weeks and report how comfortable that trip is when I get back.

davesgmc

how's that truck bed liner on the floor workin for ya? was it roll on, spray on or profesional applied? looking to do the same in ELMO to try to cut some noise down, notice any difference?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ranchhopper I am planning the same on my M275 redo but is still a way off. Picked up a in the can LDT1C for it yesterday and wife brought back some bling from an auction today.

davesgmc I am going to use the 80mil Zillamat in it on fire wall and floor.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks