• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv Seat high back mod, springer base

ranchhopper

how's that truck bed liner on the floor workin for ya? was it roll on, spray on or profesional applied? looking to do the same in ELMO to try to cut some noise down, notice any difference?
I buy the stuff at menards its roll on it comes in gallon cans it works great no rust issues because the rain water just puddles up on it. It does help some with the sound deadening nice engine now if your like me getting the time to do the swap is the problem.

davesgmc

Drove ELMO from reno, ks to wyandotte, ok last weekend with the new seats. about a 4-ish hour drive. 196 miles. Seats mounted on springer bases were quite comfortable. no sore butt or back when i got there or home, and off road with the springer bases they were still comfortable. We were hauling people from the playing field (oklahoma d-day paint ball event) to the camp gound back and forth all day long. lots of bumping around, taking small detours (and breaking a few bows off the top(and didnt even knock anyone out of the back!)). Was great fun for all. Hauled the trailer down empty and a a MUTT on it on the way back. Overall, I love these seats, they feel good and lok even better.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am planning on doing this mod. I will be picking up a set of the HMMWV seats this weekend. I have an seat similar to the commanders seat (I believe it is from an FMTV) mounted to a stock springer base as my driver's seat. That seat will become part of the companion seats.

My question is how does this install affect the seat belt set up on the driver's seat? It does not appear that there are any hard points directly attached to the seat frame for the floating style seat belts. The existing hard points are attached with the short belt section on the stock set up. I would imagine a direct mount to the rear cab wall pillars should be sufficient. If anyone has pics of their seat belt mods please post.

The King Machine

I bought a pair of these seats. I installed them just a couple days ago. After I removed the old seats, I moved the box that normally acts as the storage space under the drivers seat over to the passenger side and drilled 4 new holes in the floor. Also I cut a portion out of the front of the box allowing it to be used for storage. I then made up and adapter plate that bolts the new seat to the old box mount. For the drivers side I drilled 4 more holes and thats it. They look and feel great

Attachments

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my HMMWV driver seat this past weekend. The first go of it, I mounted the 4-way adjustable drivers seat. However, I was not happy with the ride quality. It was a little to stiff for me. So, I ended up modifying the original springer base to accept the commander's seat. That offers a much better ride quality in my own opinion.
SDC11733.jpgSDC11734.jpg
I am going to keep the 4-way seat for now. I'd like to make it my passenger seat, but I need to think of center seat provision. I like to able to fit three in the cab.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to keep my bench seat for now so one of its legs would need to mount through a rail. I decided on the rear rail and just adjusted the seat forward. This gave me a little more room near the access panel to the master cylinder and I didn't need any in the back and your not going to adjust the seat forward much anyway.. It will still move forward about 3" but I'll always keep it all the way back..

I used the pop rivets included and the two rear mount points for the original seat.

I did lots of trial fitting before drilling..

For me the seat feels much better then the springer I had.

ETA - Now I just need to get something setup for seat belts. The straps to the frame are too short to reach this seats frame..
BTW: I used coyotegray's method to mount the 4-way seat (see post 31). The mounting and fitment worked out great. I was pleased with that, but it was just the ride I didn't like.

JOateyNV

Here's a play by play of the mod I did a couple months ago. May help? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...seat-modification-but-with-3-seats&highlight= Jeff

Okay a little update on the seat install. Yes, I did install the 3rd seat and its great. Fabed up a 1" angle iron base for it to sit on, just like the base for the bench seat that is alot of deuces. When I fab'd it it was alot of test fitting with just the seat base on. I used the other 2 seats as a guide for the location front to back. I will take some pictures and update the mod link this weekend.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks